British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-06-14, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Re post

The badge on ebay was NOT a piper's badge and therefore was not worth what was paid for it. I am sick to death with dodgy dealer making up stories about 'rare' a/a variations.
Old 18-06-14, 01:08 AM

Guys,

I agree with Alan. There are a few dealers out there bullshiitting their way to big money with A/A badges but there are probably more who just don't know what they are really selling and a few who could not give a damn anyway.

At the risk of being accused of blowing my own trumpet - which I am - get hold of my book on A/A badges. If you see a badge that is not in my book then there is probably a pretty good reason why it is NOT recorded!

With regard to the Queen’s University, Belfast OTC. Make no mistake - there are two officially authorised badges and I display both on pages 368 and 369. I also give the official authorisation details for these badges in various appendices to show that I'm not making things up.

The Pipers badge is Silver in colour. It is also very scarce/rare and should sell for a lot of money.

The confusion comes in re: the light shade of some gold colored badges. I cover this issue in

Chapter 11: The Manufacturing Process

This chapter covers, nine pages, including illustrations, and is very detailed. Unless collectors read and understand this chapter, with its 11 processing stages, they will never understand what an A/A cap badge is really all about.

Taking this further - The problem with the silver/gold mistakes comes about due to two main factors:

1. The factory stuffed up and dyed (yes dyed - not electroplated or any other process which is constantly being quoted and printed (even in modern publications)) the badge body the wrong colour. This was a very common mistake and has spawned many BS stories.

2. The process on colour shading was not carried out correctly leaving (in the case of gold) the badge absorbing (yes, absorbing) a very low level of gold dye into the microscopic pores of the anodised aluminium before they were finally sealed.

The reasons are full given in my book for such irregularities and collectors need to understand such issues before parting with their hard earned money.

As always, I am available to help out an any potential purchases but would prefer contact via the email address on my web site at:

www.aacapbadges.com

Going back to the badge in question - the trick here is to understand that one needs to be 100% sure that one is obtaining a silver dyed badge and not a light gold one. An easy method to check is to place a known silver coloured badge next to it and make a match.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 18-06-14 at 02:02 AM.
Old 18-06-14, 07:58 AM

HI Chris many thanks for your reply I do have access to your book and use it as required Most of the items in my collection are before the days of dealers ''bullshitting for big money '' When I was collecting them the dealers more or less would give them to you to get rid of them ,any collars I would swop with P Fuller for badges I do realize that fake items have been around a long time I have a number of 'odd a/a badges in my collection e.g the Royal Sussex regiment in silver/gold and all silver I realize this is a process error and not a rare commanding officers /etc Photo in the gallery

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 18-06-14 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 30-06-14, 09:19 AM

Can this badge be found with lugs rather than a slider?
Thanks Tony.
Old 30-06-14, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Can this badge be found with lugs rather than a slider?
Thanks Tony.
Which badge Tony ?
Old 30-06-14, 09:03 PM

Sorry Mike I should have been specific, the 'Pipers' anodised WM finish.
Cheers Tony
Old 30-06-14, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Sorry Mike I should have been specific, the 'Pipers' anodised WM finish.
Cheers Tony
Hi Tony,

What is an anodised WM finish?

Regards

Chris
Old 30-06-14, 10:24 PM

I believe Tony is reffering to a/a silver finish.
Old 30-06-14, 10:48 PM

Of course Tony is referring to a/a silver finish.

Eddie
Old 30-06-14, 11:09 PM

OK - use of White Metal and A/A is mutually exclusive hence my confusion.

I have no evidence of the Queen’s University, Belfast OTC (Pipers) badge being attired with lugs.

That is not to say that they never were but that I have never seen them so manufactured.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-07-14, 07:24 PM

Thanks for your help chaps.
Cheers Tony.
Old 01-07-14, 07:35 PM

No,i cant find anything to say that it was ever lugged. Both the all gold and all silver are sliders.

Unless the badge was corrupted so to speak and used for something else, like a kilt badge maybe.