British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-20, 09:33 PM

Default Fusiliers bullion badge, from what?

Hello, I bought this a couple of years ago as an RRF bullion cap badge, but why is the screw thread at the back so long (2.5cm)? So looking more like a fur cap/bearskin fitting? The badge is 5.5 cm high and 4cm wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullion badge1.jpg (74.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg bullion badge2.jpg (67.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-04-20, 03:39 PM

It's a Fusilier Brigade and Royal Regiment of Fusiliers officer's forage cap badge, the screw fitting has to pierce a fair thickness of fabric and screw tight to prevent the crest on the ball from turning, the hook fitted to the flames pierces the cloth to keep the badge upright and flames tight against the cap.

I have one badge with the screw fitting shortened (the top cap), the middle one has holes either side of the grenade as it's original owner was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, later badged as Forester Brigade, then Fusilier Brigade with service continuing into RRF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200401_162641367.jpg (66.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200401_162622263~2.jpg (47.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 01-04-20 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-04-20, 01:02 PM

Great, thanks for your reply Leigh. I have such a cap with the hole in the perfect place (although oddly with kc GS buttons securing the chin strap). Having just fitted the badge, I have to conclude that my badge is unissued as the screw thread still protrudes 14 mm inside the cap (thus giving the wearer a very sore forehead!).

Good to know though and, although I won't be modelling it, the cap looks very smart, so thanks again.
Richard
Old 03-04-20, 06:58 AM

Unfortunately I can't check the badge fittings on the other two caps to see if their screw posts have been trimmed down, it'd involve damaging stitching etc..
Old 06-04-20, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybadge View Post
Great, thanks for your reply Leigh. I have such a cap with the hole in the perfect place (although oddly with kc GS buttons securing the chin strap). Having just fitted the badge, I have to conclude that my badge is unissued as the screw thread still protrudes 14 mm inside the cap (thus giving the wearer a very sore forehead!).

Good to know though and, although I won't be modelling it, the cap looks very smart, so thanks again.
Richard
What follows is an "I think" - that the GS buttons may have been fitted to the cap when originally purchased as it's one that would be worn by a number of "Royal" regiments and corps rather than to a specific unit.
If it comes with GS buttons, regimental designs could be purchased if the wearer so desires or if he's required to by the unit.

The King's Crown buttons may be original to the cap, it could have been purchased around 1958 still with those buttons when the Fusilier Brigade was formed or worn prior to that if there are holes from other badge fittings (I don't know if Royal Fusiliers officer's wore bullion badges with a mounted crest with a similar fitting to the RRF badges).

I think it more likely that retention of GS buttons may have been more common among TA officers than in regular battalions (I was told by an ex-officer of The Yorkshire Volunteers that he wore his forage cap with the GS cap buttons it came with).

I stand to be corrected.
Old 11-04-20, 12:12 PM

Thanks for that Leigh.