British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-21, 10:28 AM

Default Hampshire "ORs" Pattern Officers

I gave my "T Woods" ref book away on Hampshire Regiment badges.An exmple appears in the book that is in mint condition,Ors Patt officers.I have my once bladed example in my odds album.The example shown here went through a dealers hands,Sold as just a Vic/Edw ors badge.Has anyone seen or have an example other than these three mentioned ? kind regards Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79987gfgjhgkg683706710.jpg (80.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 79987gfgjhgkg683706705.jpg (95.1 KB, 100 views)
Old 01-03-21, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
I gave my "T Woods" ref book away on Hampshire Regiment badges.An exmple appears in the book that is in mint condition,Ors Patt officers.I have my once bladed example in my odds album.The example shown here went through a dealers hands,Sold as just a Vic/Edw ors badge.Has anyone seen or have an example other than these three mentioned ? kind regards Gary
Interesting badge. The officer’s badge was a unique pattern though and different from the OR’s.
Old 01-03-21, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

From memory there was one Battalion (13th?) who wore the cat and cabbage badge rather than the old North Hants badge worn by all other officers.
Old 01-03-21, 01:16 PM

I agree with Keith, an interesting badge. Looks very pleasing and rather nice quality. Could it potentially be an NCOs item going by the construction?

Edit: hadn’t seen Alan’s post when I started typing. A plausible explanation and fitting as an officers quality item.
Old 01-03-21, 03:31 PM

Hi Ref the mint example in "T Woods" book on the Hampshire regiment badges.The example in the book is I think part of Rod Floods collection.Perhaps the people on the forum on good terms with rod could ask him.The book states worn for a short period around 1900. regards Gary
Old 30-06-21, 03:15 PM

Default Reluctance to share information

Ok this has been on here a long time now.Since I posted this tread I have sold my example to a forum member.Its a very interesting thread that is worthy of discussing.We can all keep our eyes open for officers Ors patt badges if people share info.The first comments on this thread given I could back up by a ref book,Is this really the best the forum can do?.I don`t really collect badges any more so perhaps I should not care.
kind regards Gary
Old 30-06-21, 03:18 PM

This was my example. regards Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1661.jpg (60.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1665.jpg (56.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 30-06-21, 04:11 PM

In this regard, I have this Northants "officer quality" badge that is similar in make to that Hampshire example.
Could these simply be private purchase items for ORs with a bit of change in their pockets?

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9789.jpg (42.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9790.jpg (43.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 30-06-21, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that these are private purchased badges possibly made for the late war 'walking-out' FSC? They are not true officer quality but very interesting items.

The bladed Hants badge above is a different level of officer quality.
Old 30-06-21, 07:05 PM

Is this at all relevant? I don't think it's a cast, locally made job.
Bi metal rather than silver /gilt, it's had lugs or blades, now missing and has then been keyed somewhat violently and slider attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210421-054522_eBay~2.jpg (57.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210421-054534_eBay~2.jpg (45.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210421-054554_eBay~2.jpg (74.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210421-054612_eBay~2.jpg (64.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-07-21, 06:33 AM

My 2p worth.
I think the Northants is an officer badge. There are lots of quality variations in the private purchase class but I really don't see an O/R buying a silver badge for walking out, he would just buff up his normal badge so it is nice and shiny.
The East Lancs looks like an Indian cast to me, the striations on the back are probably from a file of something similar used to flatten the back after casting.
I have a solid silver/gilt (gilt long gone) O/Rs pattern Cheshire Regiment cap badge which I think is a pre-star pattern officer badge.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheshire 1.jpg (78.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Cheshire 2.jpg (59.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-07-21, 10:30 AM

Come on Alex give it your best shot,Tell them what Rod Flood told you about the hampshire officers ors pattern badge I sold you.Its for the best mate.
Kind regards Gary
Old 01-07-21, 10:40 AM

OK has anyone got a copy of Terence woods - The military insignia of Hampshire & the isle of wight 1702 - 1992.Or know of someone with it.
kind regards Gary
Old 01-07-21, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
My 2p worth.
I think the Northants is an officer badge. There are lots of quality variations in the private purchase class but I really don't see an O/R buying a silver badge for walking out, he would just buff up his normal badge so it is nice and shiny.
The East Lancs looks like an Indian cast to me, the striations on the back are probably from a file of something similar used to flatten the back after casting.
I have a solid silver/gilt (gilt long gone) O/Rs pattern Cheshire Regiment cap badge which I think is a pre-star pattern officer badge.
Cheers,
Alex
You may well be right, I could'nt make up my mind re. this one.
Old 01-07-21, 02:15 PM

I had considered my Northants a possible officer badge, but for what form of dress? Could never decide whether it is that or a fancy OR.

CB