British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-10-20, 06:31 PM

Default Does this wing have any Royal Flying Corps connection

Can anyone help to identify this wing please and is there a remote possibility that the early Naval arm of the Royal Flying Corps had their own wing before the RNAS hence the red crown?

Screenshot_20201012-163338_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201012-163350_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201012-164230_Gallery.jpg

Thanks,
Jack.
Old 22-10-20, 09:16 PM

Default Similar wing

As a matter of interest Bob Simms militaria has a wing in similar colours with red crown 54620, again a strange wing with anchor going through it attributed to possible yacht club, just a coincidence but two very unusual wings sharing similar attributes.
Old 23-10-20, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembird View Post
As a matter of interest Bob Simms militaria has a wing in similar colours with red crown 54620, again a strange wing with anchor going through it attributed to possible yacht club, just a coincidence but two very unusual wings sharing similar attributes.
Thank you for your interest and the item number of the Bob Simms wing. I did take a look at that wing, it is a strange one with the letters SC which Bob Simms describes as RAF sailing club. It also has the laurel wreath which is absent on mine, which I thought it should have if were anything to do with the Royal Flying Corps.

Can anyone answer the question if the RFC had a specific wing for the early Naval arm c1912/13?
Old 23-10-20, 10:35 PM

The Navy air arm didn't have any indications of flying until 1914/1915, when the arm eagle was introduced. They didn't get a pilot badge until circa 1925. Your badge is nothing like any of the authorised badges for any of the services. It is almost certainly a private flying club or suchlike; Royal Flying Club, Reading Flying Club, Reigate Flying Club or something similar.
Dave
Old 24-10-20, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon166 View Post
The Navy air arm didn't have any indications of flying until 1914/1915, when the arm eagle was introduced. They didn't get a pilot badge until circa 1925. Your badge is nothing like any of the authorised badges for any of the services. It is almost certainly a private flying club or suchlike; Royal Flying Club, Reading Flying Club, Reigate Flying Club or something similar.
Dave
Thanks Dave, I did post a thread a few days ago in the mystery section under the heading of a possible flying club badge without any success. I was led up the garden path with the red kings crown.

Will continue the flying club search.
Jack.
Old 24-10-20, 06:39 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Having read and followed this thread I may suggest Redhill Flying Club as a line of enquiry. There has been a civilian airfield there for decades. My uncle was a helicopter instructor there for Bristows in the mid 1970s
Old 24-10-20, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Having read and followed this thread I may suggest Redhill Flying Club as a line of enquiry. There has been a civilian airfield there for decades. My uncle was a helicopter instructor there for Bristows in the mid 1970s
Thanks, I've now got their contact details from the internet, so I'll send them an email like I did with the Rural Flying Club.