British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-20, 12:54 PM

Default S.A.T.C.

Hi All

I acquired this earlier this week, an interesting item measuring about 230 in height and about 150 in width.

Obviously hand made during WW2, the 1st Armoured Car Commando took part in the occupation of Madagascar.

I am planning on using this hand made item as the centre piece of a frame dedicated to the SA Armoured Corps during WW2.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201021_093809.jpg (64.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 24-10-20, 02:20 PM

Hi Brian, good looking piece, I look forward to seeing your display, you have some interesting items. What is the significance of the blue/yellow/blue? best wishes and good hunting, Mike.
Old 24-10-20, 02:57 PM

Mike

I too have investigated this and suspect it was the colours of their helmet flashes that were worn on the side of the polo helmets, but have yet to confirm their colours, I know the SSB wore an Orange, White and Blue flash but not sure about the SA Armoured corps?

Brian
Old 24-10-20, 04:40 PM

Hi Brian, I have a couple of 1st SSB/SBS tank arm badges where the orange has faded to yellow, so maybe war time dyes were not that colour fast? and it is blue/orange/blue perhaps. I posted an image of them Feb 2019, ones yellow, ones orange. Food for though? best wishes and I'm quite envious Mike