British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-10-10, 09:07 PM

Default Royal Marines Police-

Dear Sailorbear,
Having only just joined the forum I find that I am writing to you twice within a few minutes. The modern Royal Marines Police was created in the Autumn of 1962 their training took place at RM Bks Eastney. I happened to be on the first course, but saw the light again and became a PW later on.The detachment upon completion of training saw them drafted to 3 Cdo Bde in Singapore and within the week of arriving was deployed with 42 Command RM for the Brunei Revolt. Their uniform is was the same as the Corps except they wore an armband with RMP and a corps badge I think above the letters.
The armband that you sold was the Regimental Police and was worn on the left upper arm and indeed it did have the letters R crown M all the RM units Provost staff wore the same.
I just happen to have in front of me a large phot of the Provost Staff 40 Commando RM 1983/84/85 some changed but the good looking Provost C/Sgt served that period. For information Royal Marines Provost Sgt's/ C/sgt's holding that position are issued with a warrant Officers sword belt and sword worn on formal parades.The chevrons we do not have stripes! are worn by the Provost Sgt on the right cuff the correct way.I could go on for ever I will try and post the phot in with this reply. However when it comes to the computer I am a muzzle loading man.
Yours Aye
Seadayak

PS.As Ithought I will have find out how post image
PPS. I was the Provost C/Sgt in the phot. (pronouced Pro vost or usually Provvie)
Old 04-10-10, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadayak View Post
Dear Sailorbear,
Having only just joined the forum I find that I am writing to you twice within a few minutes. The modern Royal Marines Police was created in the Autumn of 1962 their training took place at RM Bks Eastney. I happened to be on the first course, but saw the light again and became a PW later on.The detachment upon completion of training saw them drafted to 3 Cdo Bde in Singapore and within the week of arriving was deployed with 42 Command RM for the Brunei Revolt. Their uniform is was the same as the Corps except they wore an armband with RMP and a corps badge I think above the letters.
The armband that you sold was the Regimental Police and was worn on the left upper arm and indeed it did have the letters R crown M all the RM units Provost staff wore the same.
I just happen to have in front of me a large phot of the Provost Staff 40 Commando RM 1983/84/85 some changed but the good looking Provost C/Sgt served that period. For information Royal Marines Provost Sgt's/ C/sgt's holding that position are issued with a warrant Officers sword belt and sword worn on formal parades.The chevrons we do not have stripes! are worn by the Provost Sgt on the right cuff the correct way.I could go on for ever I will try and post the phot in with this reply. However when it comes to the computer I am a muzzle loading man.
Yours Aye
Seadayak

PS.As Ithought I will have find out how post image
PPS. I was the Provost C/Sgt in the phot. (pronouced Pro vost or usually Provvie)
Hi there, Thanks for that! an absolute gold mine of information, thanks for sharing the wisdom of first hand experience!

Regards (and welcome to the forum) Tony
Old 04-10-10, 04:01 PM

Default Royal Marines Police.

Thought I would add that when I was in 40 Cdo RM, ('65 - '66) the unit RM Police would also wear a white strap around the centre of the puttees in OG clothing. Puttees - a more useless article of uniform you couldn't find !
Old 04-10-10, 06:51 PM

scan.jpg

Two armbands from my collection but what went in the eyelets on the Lovat RM if it was a cap-badge would it be in Gold or Bronze.

John
Old 05-10-10, 05:21 PM

Stonhouseboy
To m knowledge I onle ever saw the Staybright (anodized) badge ever worn. I hope this helps.
Seadayak
Old 05-10-10, 05:55 PM

Hi Seadayak
Thank you for that I've seen pictures of Royal Marines wearing the Red on Blue armband but never the Lovat one. I will now add a badge to make it complete.

John
Old 06-10-10, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehouse boy View Post
Attachment 30736

Two armbands from my collection but what went in the eyelets on the Lovat RM if it was a cap-badge would it be in Gold or Bronze.

John
Wow, thats really interesting! - Thanks for sharing

Regards Tony
Old 06-10-10, 07:36 PM

I have just re-read the comment by sunray9, and it rang a bell. He is quite correct the unit RP's did wear a white band(elastic) around the centre of the puttees. "Percy Pongo" still used white gaiter's for their RP's.without any intention of boring you all, the standard dress for 42 Cdo RM RP's in 1962 was as follows:-
Dress of the day.. Beret, Khaki shirt (cellular),
shorts Khaki (similar waist fittings to all working dress pants i.e cross over straps fasten at the side with a small pin buckle)
RP armband (as previously decribed "R crown P"
Putees short dark brown with white garter
SV Boots (sole vucanized) i.e.Commando soles
that were screwed on.
Finally a 37patt white belt with cross strap secured
by brace attachment.
I also believe that this was the same for 40 and 45 in hot climes.

For stonehouse boy another bell rang I think that when the RMP's sent reps to 41 Cdo RM in Cyprus 1985 the men wore an 3 Cdo Bde RM coloured band
almost sure????
Thats it
Seadayak
Old 06-10-10, 08:36 PM

img752.jpg
Regimental Police staff 40 Commando RM
Norton Manor Camp 1985
Zomerzet
Old 01-06-13, 05:54 PM

Hi Gents

Got a bee in my bonnet about the BIOT Police badge today and did some digging around, which is how I came upon this thread. The image shown I scanned from an article in the 3/90 issue of PICA Magazine, it shows the badge then worn by BIOT Police officers on a grey beret, and I thought others might find it of interest.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 01-06-13, 06:10 PM

Aghhhh thats two BIOT police badges I have to find now. As Tony previously said, its the impossible. There was a BIOT wallet badge on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-BIOT-...p2047675.l2557
Old 01-06-13, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
There was a BIOT wallet badge on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-BIOT-...p2047675.l2557
Typical
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 03-03-24, 10:15 PM

I’ve recently been fortunate to add this British Indian Ocean Territory Police cap badge to my collection. ?

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2326bf.jpg (69.2 KB, 3 views)