British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-11-14, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connaught View Post
Nothing wrong with an opinion but I am pointing out that I am in a better position to offer a more informed opinion( I live beside connemara), a few weekends around the south may not have put you in the best position to comment on the Irish language IMO.
I know the locals do not just perform for the "tourists" on command,the language is used on a daily basis in connemara but not by everyone, address and engage with them in Irish and you will see the difference.

My comment on Campbell was formed from observing him through the years, and was not just formed recently, he's not my cup of tea, Arlene Foster on the other hand is an able politician and would be an asset to any party
I'm sorry to have to put a correction in again mate but my experience doesn't come from a "few weekends around the south". It comes from many years travelling in the Republic, rarely on weekends. In the hundreds, maybe thousands of times down there I've only been on holiday there once.

Now I'm sure you're very keen to emphasise that your opinion is more informed than mine and indeed that may be the case however I think I have very strong evidence to the contrary but I trust we won't be starting another 40 years of troubles over a difference of opinion?

As for Arlene Foster: yes she comes across as able and she survived the ethnic cleansing of Fermanagh which does give her the right to say many things in my view however: she is DUP and as long as that party exists there will never be true peace in Northern Ireland. The same goes for Sinn Fein.

There now: you have another opinion of mine.
Old 18-11-14, 08:27 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
Can I ask you though - do you genuinely have communities who only speak Welsh and don't use English in their day to day goings on?

I certainly don't believe Ireland has any communities who only speak Irish. I believe it's all for show.
There are still communities in Wales where the first language is Welsh, and it is commendable to those who come from such a background that they use English as a language! I must must admit that I very much regret not learning to speak my Native Tongue, however what you must understand is that those raised within the UK who do not regard English as their native tongue think in their first langue and constantly translate during conversation or everyday transactions! I think this has more to do with sectarianism than take away meals, I did not see any humour, apart from the guy spouting off looking like git! The UK is British and I do not have a problem with English being the first language, however I do think mandating that street signs, forms and other such like "publicly accessed" facilities are a waste of money and could be better spent on other more important community agendas!

Andy
Old 18-11-14, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Okay, so I got as far as finding out that the "yoghurt" thing is mocking an Irish phrase: ""go raibh maith agat, Ceann Comhairle".

What does it mean?
No one answered your question. It means "Thank you, chairman"
Old 18-11-14, 08:31 PM

Connaught,
I would agree with you that the Gaeltacht is a real and living community, and not done for financial gain, grants or other. I have worked all over Connemara and loved the area and it's people.
As regards Gregory Cambell's remarks being an insult, I would disagree with you on that one. Gregory was merely reacting to the constant oppression of anything British in the six counties by Sinn Fein.
Sinn Fein use your national language and flag as a weapons to use on Unionists, and if the Unionists react Sinn Fein has the world press covering that Unionist reaction. They are clever folk and if they ever get a majority in the Irish government they will make Hitlers party look moderate.
I would much rather see a politician using humor rather than violence against his foes.
And like Hussar 100, I do not vote for DUP, or Sinn Fein.
Eddie
Old 18-11-14, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
There are still communities in Wales where the first language is Welsh, and it is commendable to those who come from such a background that they use English as a language! I must must admit that I very much regret not learning to speak my Native Tongue, however what you must understand is that those raised within the UK who do not regard English as their native tongue think in their first langue and constantly translate during conversation or everyday transactions! I think this has more to do with sectarianism than take away meals, I did not see any humour, apart from the guy spouting off looking like git! The UK is British and I do not have a problem with English being the first language, however I do think mandating that street signs, forms and other such like "publicly accessed" facilities are a waste of money and could be better spent on other more important community agendas!

Andy
Hmm. I asked because the Welsh language thing has been ongoing for much longer than the Irish language enforced revival. I've been in the company of Welsh speakers and their delivery of the language is much more convincing than those who speak Irish - in my opinion. Unfortunately I've spent no time in any Welsh speaking communities so my experience is zilch.
Old 18-11-14, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Now I'm sure you're very keen to emphasise that your opinion is more informed than mine and indeed that may be the case
Ah, finally, something we can agree on.
Old 18-11-14, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Connaught,
I would agree with you that the Gaeltacht is a real and living community, and not done for financial gain, grants or other. I have worked all over Connemara and loved the area and it's people.
As regards Gregory Cambell's remarks being an insult, I would disagree with you on that one. Gregory was merely reacting to the constant oppression of anything British in the six counties by Sinn Fein.
Sinn Fein use your national language and flag as a weapons to use on Unionists, and if the Unionists react Sinn Fein has the world press covering that Unionist reaction. They are clever folk and if they ever get a majority in the Irish government they will make Hitlers party look moderate.
I would much rather see a politician using humor rather than violence against his foes.
Eddie
As I see it the DUP want to keep the religious foot on our heads. Sinn Fein want to get rid of the border then take over the Dail and construct their imaginary worker's paradise, even now when it's been show that their Marxist ideology doesn't work. I've got no problem about assimilating into an all Ireland Republic but I think all Irishmen and women have a lot to fear from Sinn Fein, whereas the Republic has nothing to fear from the DUP - only the poor sheep up here in the north who vote for them and fill their coffers. Ian Paisley had a lot to answer for.

As for the Irish language. I've got no objection to anyone learning it and speaking it. All I've done is point out that I've never seen it work in practice despite vast experience of working in the south.
Old 18-11-14, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Ah, finally, something we can agree on.
Watch out you - I'll set the Redcoats on you. I'll have you know that Billy Butlin was a personal friend.
Old 18-11-14, 09:01 PM

I Googled a couple of facts on Gaelic just now and to be honest I was surprised what I found.

Firstly, and very surprisingly, Gaelic is not the second language of Ireland (although it is officially). More people in fact speak Polish than Irish. Read here.

Sadly, and despite the Dail making it almost mandatory to speak Irish for many public positions and after 90 years of teaching it in schools, the Irish language is now in decline. (lost the link).

The definition of Gaeltachtai is being stretched to some extent to try and show Irish in wider usage than it is. All it requires for an area to qualify as Gaeltacht is: where Irish is still spoken daily to some extent as a traditional native language.

I'm going to be honest and say that Irish is doomed the same way as religion is in the entire island because you can't force people to learn and believe in something they have no interest in. As nice as it is to have Irish Gaelic (as opposed to the laughable "Lallans") in 50 years time it'll probably only be spoken by hairy people in universities. I think we'll have forgotten all about Lallans by then though.
Old 18-11-14, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Connaught,
Eddie
Thanks Ebro, obviously you have spent time in connemara.
SF may have tried to politicise the language in the North, but that is not the case in the south, it belongs to everyone who wants to speak it.
Irish belongs to everyone on the island, indeed,in the past many scholars were from a Protestant/Unionist backround,some are now starting to learn it again http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-29901196.html

As for Gregory, he acted like an amadan, if he mocked another language in the same manner ,he would be quite rightly admonished, I accept he was trying to belittle SF but his blunderbuss approach has offended non SF people as well, but then,he was never known for his tact.
Old 18-11-14, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I Googled a couple of facts on Gaelic just now and to be honest I was surprised what I found.

Firstly, and very surprisingly, Gaelic is not the second language of Ireland (although it is officially). More people in fact speak Polish than Irish. Read here.

Sadly, and despite the Dail making it almost mandatory to speak Irish for many public positions and after 90 years of teaching it in schools, the Irish language is now in decline. (lost the link).

The definition of Gaeltachtai is being stretched to some extent to try and show Irish in wider usage than it is. All it requires for an area to qualify as Gaeltacht is: where Irish is still spoken daily to some extent as a traditional native language.

I'm going to be honest and say that Irish is doomed the same way as religion is in the entire island because you can't force people to learn and believe in something they have no interest in. As nice as it is to have Irish Gaelic (as opposed to the laughable "Lallans") in 50 years time it'll probably only be spoken by hairy people in universities. I think we'll have forgotten all about Lallans by then though.
Then you'd be wrong, the influx of immigrants and other languages has awakened something in Irish people,more are sending their children to Irish schools,(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelscoil) they recognise that having your own language is an important identifier in a global world.

Last Census figures here http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011...00442-Mar2012/

As for Lallans, is that akin to Ulster scots?
Old 18-11-14, 09:22 PM

Connaught,
Gregory is the product of the Ian Paisley era DUP, and you expect him to display tact???
I love Connemara, including the Gaeltacht, and miss working there.
I even worked in the Irish Language TV station (TG4). Two weeks after I left the transmitting mast was struck by lightening, I think it was on old years night.
I was 200 miles away at the time, so it was nothing to do with my political views.
Eddie
Old 19-11-14, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Then you'd be wrong, the influx of immigrants and other languages has awakened something in Irish people,more are sending their children to Irish schools,(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelscoil) they recognise that having your own language is an important identifier in a global world.

Last Census figures here http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011...00442-Mar2012/

As for Lallans, is that akin to Ulster scots?
I provided links to substantiate the information I provided mate so I can't see how I'm wrong.

Lallans is the name they give to the language spoken by lowland Scots and Ulster Scots. I don't believe it's a language at all but merely a dialect of English and Auld Scots or Doric. Again, it has been politicised by certain groups for their own purposes. If it wasn't for that I'd perhaps give it more credibility. Perhaps that says more about me than I want it to but I'm so fed up with the politicising of everything in the North. I travelled all over the island for years after I left the army and in the main I found that people just get on with their lives, north and south.
Old 19-11-14, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I provided links to substantiate the information I provided mate so I can't see how I'm wrong.

Lallans is the name they give to the language spoken by lowland Scots and Ulster Scots. I don't believe it's a language at all but merely a dialect of English and Auld Scots or Doric. Again, it has been politicised by certain groups for their own purposes. If it wasn't for that I'd perhaps give it more credibility. Perhaps that says more about me than I want it to but I'm so fed up with the politicising of everything in the North. I travelled all over the island for years after I left the army and in the main I found that people just get on with their lives, north and south.
Cheers for that hussar, interesting info about ulster/scots I was only disagreeing with your suggestion that Irish will only be spoken by academics in 50 years time,your links, while interesting, in no way substantiate that assertion.

The position of Irish at no.3 is imo temporary , while fewer people may speak it,I find there is a more committed cohort learning the language and it will in the long term make the language stronger.

Polish will not maintain its position,It is just a reflection of the current level of polish immigration,very few of the kids in our school of polish parentage actually maintain the ability to speak polish after a few years in the education system.Funny thing, top scholar in Irish was a girl whose parents are from Mali.The world is changing.
Old 19-11-14, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Cheers for that hussar, interesting info about ulster/scots I was only disagreeing with your suggestion that Irish will only be spoken by academics in 50 years time,your links, while interesting, in no way substantiate that assertion.

The position of Irish at no.3 is imo temporary , while fewer people may speak it,I find there is a more committed cohort learning the language and it will in the long term make the language stronger.

Polish will not maintain its position,It is just a reflection of the current level of polish immigration,very few of the kids in our school of polish parentage actually maintain the ability to speak polish after a few years in the education system.Funny thing, top scholar in Irish was a girl whose parents are from Mali.The world is changing.
Connaught, what I will say is this: I was wrong to make a prediction about Irish dying out in 50 years. Wrong because the world has changed, and Ireland has changed, in ways I would never have imagined. Nobody could have foreseen the wide variety of nationalities we have living here now. For all we know we could all be speaking Hindi in 50 years time.

I see you acknowledge though that the children of parents of a given language won't necessarily learn it.

There are lessons for us all old chap. Some are good and some we'd rather not have. Let's try and make them all more pleasurable by at least encouraging people to be nice to each other.