British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-12-10, 09:39 PM

Default THE USE OF INTERNET FORUMS !!!!!.

Hi all,
I just had this email delivered to my inbox, and without wishing to do this guy any advertising I was interested in what he had to say about Internet forums, I do wonder if he had this one in mind when he says " however please be aware that some people use these forums to do harm to the industry and hobby which we all love"
What do you guys think !!. regards Andy.

Last edited by yorkie; 29-01-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-12-10, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
Hi all,
I just had this email delivered to my inbox, and without wishing to do this guy any advertising I was interested in what he had to say about Internet forums, I do wonder if he had this one in mind when he says " however please be aware that some people use these forums to do harm to the industry and hobby which we all love"
What do you guys think !!. regards Andy.
More concerned about his business rather than the hobby in my opinion.
Old 09-12-10, 10:36 PM

Default The use of internet forums

I don't know the person in question, so speak in general terms: I think that some dealers are beginning to worry that the punters (us as buyers), no longer take their word as gospel. Because the forums provide alternative sources of advice, experience and comparison (us as forum members), they may lose sales as a result.

Some dealers can be trusted implicitly, but I always consider that everyone is wrong sometimes (even my wife, I just haven't recognised when yet).

Stephen.
Old 09-12-10, 10:41 PM

Steve, Hope H doesn't read this !!
Wilf.
Old 09-12-10, 11:10 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
More concerned about his business rather than the hobby in my opinion.
Keith,

You don't know how close you are to the truth !!!

Dave.

Quote [ Some dealers can be trusted implicitly, but I always consider that everyone is wrong sometimes (even my wife, I just haven't recognised when yet).

Stephen. ] Unquote........

Stephen,

You are lucky, I've been married 42 years and have long known that my wife is never and has never been wrong.....

Dave.
Old 09-12-10, 11:44 PM

I find as a collector and sometimes researcher that this forum does enormous good for collectors.

Many observations are backed up with references, both primary and secondary and opinions are called out as such. It is unstoppable, will become more prevalent and common sense evaluation of the postings will weed out most of the spurious information.

Long may it last - thank you Mike!
Old 10-12-10, 12:47 AM

Default my wife is never and has never been wrong.....

The rules are.

Rule 1. The wife is never wrong

Rule 2. In cases where the wife is wrong Rule 1 applies.
Old 10-12-10, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
I don't know the person in question, so speak in general terms: I think that some dealers are beginning to worry that the punters (us as buyers), no longer take their word as gospel. Because the forums provide alternative sources of advice, experience and comparison (us as forum members), they may lose sales as a result.
Stephen.
Personally I think that a good degree of sceptism for a delaer's opinion is very god thing. There are a handful of dealers who are very relaibale and honest and then there are the rest. I have been told utter nonsense by dealers; facts which I know to be lies. As far as I am concerned I would much rather believe a forum member with a lot of research and eveidence rather than a dealer trying to get me to part with money for an over priced badge. Again some dealers are excellent but not all.

The reason that the bottom dropped out of the cap badge market in the 1970s was that dealers were untrustworthy and the reference material was patchy. The internet bring near-real time information and photographic evidence to discredit a seller of fakes whereas before it would have taken years to amass the same knowledge (if you ever could).

Last edited by Alan O; 10-12-10 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Personally I think that a good degree of sceptism for a delaer's opinion is very god thing. There are a handful of dealers who are very relaibale and honest and then there are the rest. I have been told utter nonsense by dealers; facts which I know to be lies. As far as I am concerned I would much rather believe a forum member with a lot of research and eveidence rather than a dealer trying to get me to part with money for an over priced badge. Again some dealers are excellent but not all.

The reason that the bottom dropped out of the cap badge market in the 1970s was that dealers were untrustworthy and the reference material was patchy. The internet bring near-real time information and photographic evidence to discredit a seller of fakes whereas before it would have taken years to amass the same knowledge (if you ever could).
Well said Alan,

I personally can not relate to the 70's and the hobby, I wasn't collecting back then but I can relate to your remarks about real time information etc, this forum has saved me pounds on several occasions because I either asked a question or read what others had said but as you all know, there is a dark side to this forum.

This was proved not too long ago when we tried to highlight the goings on of a dealer who to be generous, was stretching the truth to breaking point, the outcome of that episode, mainly because it got too personal, was that I for one was banned, the forum was closed down for several days and the rank and file closed shoulders to protect the said dealer ????

Although I live with the decisions taken, I have no choice if I wish to continue being part of the forum, it still wrankles, particularly when some forum members gather like vultures to attack certain dealers but in the case of the person I was referring to, some members actually protected him, proving that what you say doesn't work all the time.

Only my opinion, of course........

Dave.
Old 10-12-10, 11:03 AM

our own members are far from angels.

Twice I have pointed out, courteously, that a badge offered for sale has a hopelessly wrong ID. Not only have I been ignored, but the badge and description were still there a couple of days ago.

Name and shame?
Old 10-12-10, 11:09 AM

Hi grumpy,

I have no intention of opening old wounds but I can say that in the case of the forum, to name and shame would only go against the forum rules, which we have all agreed to abide by, in as much as personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 14-12-10 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 01:01 PM

Default Well Said

Alan has summed it up for me....some dealers are so full of themselves and other materials that they will continue to perpetuate falsehoods instead of admitting they were wrong. Having been at this for some time I realize that there are no absolute experts and theories and speculation are just that, until backed up with tangible evidence. Asking around is a good start ,but don't be scared to get your hands dirty ,head down to the Archives and do the research yourself. It's quite satisfying and good for the hobby....M
Old 10-12-10, 02:36 PM
Badge Guru

I am in agreement with Mr Eagle.

It has been proven that there are dishonest individuals joining forums, under false identities.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 10-12-10 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Or, as a corollary to Jibba Jabba's point, there are also dishonest individuals who cast apsersions on items or dealers as well.
Having reference to a Forum is, in my opinion, an essential tool and part of the "due diligence" that one should undertake when researching a purchase.
Old 10-12-10, 03:00 PM
Badge Guru

........which is going back to Mr Eagles very good point of researching previous posts made by the person who has posted that particular opinion.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 10-12-10 at 08:33 PM.

Tags
dealers, forums