British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-10-21, 08:45 PM

Default Falkland Islands Defence Force

Hi All,

Does anyone know how long the Falkland Islands Defence Force have had this badge (copied off the internet), which metal(s) it would be made of for ORs and what they might have worn in any earlier period?

Thanks

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIDF.JPG (71.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-10-21, 08:52 PM

I've answered many of my own questions by searching the forum for FIDF instead of FDIF!!!!

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...highlight=FIDF

To paraphrase: They wore a different badge (see link above: shield with sheep and ship over a Desire The Right scroll in g/m no crown) 1948-1965/6 but then reverted to this one which they'd worn before that.

The current badge is for all ranks and can be g/m or bronze.

Sorry for time-wasting!
Old 05-11-22, 06:30 PM

The badge is the current crest of the Falklands when it was adopted to replace the old crest the FIDF refused to change their badge and continued to use the old crest to this day.
Old 05-11-22, 06:53 PM

The badge is the current one there are 2 versions of the badge both worn by all ranks bronze for wear on the beret and gilt brass / staybright for wear on the dress cap but the gilt badge was worn on the beret by some.I have attached my small FIDF collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B30204B6-5F87-4007-BD05-5D4CC2123462.jpeg (104.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 61D1B542-EEC6-40D6-99B8-EBBA1192C3C5.jpg (41.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 773E1B2F-39AF-47CC-986F-8C3340C1BBCE.jpg (63.2 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Loski; 05-11-22 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loski View Post
The badge is the current crest of the Falklands when it was adopted to replace the old crest the FIDF refused to change their badge and continued to use the old crest to this day.
Your explanation is a little confusing and is perhaps better put as follows:- The badge used by the FIDF is not the current crest of the islands. The current crest of the Falklands (shield & scroll) is the badge the FIDF refused to adopt as a force. Apologies for being a little pedantic. The Shield/scroll (top centre) is the badge they refused to adopt. That said, at least one FIDF Officer did in fact wear it. A photo exists of the Governor's ADC, a Captain, wearing the badge during the 1957 Royal Visit.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIDF ADC 1957. (2).jpg (23.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg FIDF Badges..jpg (64.4 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by altcar73; 05-11-22 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 09:03 PM

Yes my written words leave a lot to be desired.And may I correct my self I have been told that the ship and sheep badge was worn for a short time but I know not when but was disliked by the DF and they reverted to the ship and seal.may I say that is a nice collection of FIDF badges you have.
Old 05-11-22, 10:01 PM

There was a lovely Silver badge WW1 I believe sold on EBay within the last 12 months £100+ (if of course correct?)
Old 05-11-22, 11:15 PM

Yes there was a hall marked silver badge named to each member in think it was for service during the Great War they are very expensive when they come on the market, this I think is the one to which you refer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24F08B1C-411A-49E6-9901-93FDA5C3A83B.jpg (86.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 06-11-22, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yes my written words leave a lot to be desired.And may I correct my self I have been told that the ship and sheep badge was worn for a short time but I know not when but was disliked by the DF and they reverted to the ship and seal.may I say that is a nice collection of FIDF badges you have.
Thanks very kind. Your own collection is quite "tasty". One or two items there that I don't have!

Dave.
Old 06-11-22, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Thanks very kind. Your own collection is quite "tasty". One or two items there that I don't have!

Dave.
Many thanks Dave some of the items are from family who served in the Defence Force one of the gold badges was my fathers I’m looking for a dress cap to mount it on It did take me a few years to get a stable belt and when one came up it was far from cheap, there are pieces I’m still on the hunt for and then there are new items that the FIDF have introduced But I will say one thing the FIDF is not over generous or at all helpful towards the collecting community.
Graham

Last edited by Loski; 06-11-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 04:00 PM

This is a photo of my father in his FIDF dress blues taken I think in the mid 1960s
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BDB5D64F-960B-4BB6-8666-E9CA7015B635.jpeg (14.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-11-22, 06:02 PM

Quote:
This is a photo of my father in his FIDF dress blues taken I think in the mid 1960s
A nice photo of your dad. Thanks for sharing. I must admit, all the items I have from the defence force have been obtained here in the UK. When you consider how long they have been going, they don't seem to feature in the collecting interests of the majority of the militaria fraternity. Not quite sure why that is.

Dave.
Old 06-11-22, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
A nice photo of your dad. Thanks for sharing. I must admit, all the items I have from the defence force have been obtained here in the UK. When you consider how long they have been going, they don't seem to feature in the collecting interests of the majority of the militaria fraternity. Not quite sure why that is.

Dave.
Thanks Dave unfortunately my father has passed on but the photo has great sentimental value as does his cap badge.
I think it’s because it’s always been a small force and all the issued kit was returned when worn out or damaged or when members left.also the FIDF were until 1982 quite unknown to the UK collecting scene and since 82 a lot of what has came on the market is probably bring backs by troops that fought in the islands or served there after some stable belt buckles on eBay are unfinished contract overruns, in recent years the DF have been very unhelpful toward collectors as they won’t part with anything.

Last edited by Loski; 06-11-22 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 11:54 AM

Hi all it’s been a while since I last visited, but since then I have added to my FIDF collection in the shape of a cap and collar dogs for the dress blue uniform. I’m also looking for the coloured shoulder flashes, lanyard and a white belt as worn by the FIDF member in the final photo. The sharp eyed among you will noticed that the member in the last photo is equipped with an SA80a2 the Styer AUG was replaced in 2019 I’m not sure how the rank and file felt about that.

Last edited by Loski; 02-11-23 at 12:08 PM.