British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-10, 09:14 AM

Default Local made North African Parachute Regiment cap badge

Found at the last Beltring Show.

Have a look about these two photo's, making the badge in the field.

http://www.paradata.org.uk/media/441...mediaItem=1970
http://www.paradata.org.uk/media/441...mediaItem=1971
Old 11-08-10, 10:00 AM

I'm not 'casting' doubt on this actual badge, as I don't know anything about it.

However since these 2 photos have been doing the rounds of the net, it'll be a free for all for every tom, dude or harry to start claiming the newly hastily sand poured Parachute Regiment badge is one of these 'originals'.

Hell there's already been at least one of these with the tell tale fake wing flaw, offered on the net. Personally, I'd stay clear of anything sand cast.

I'm sure once the 1st batch of factory made white metal badges turned up at the QM's these homemade jobs would have been thrown away. The chances of getting a real one are, well just silly really.

The whole WW2 Parachute Regiment collecting theme is out of all proportion to the numbers that where in it. 19 Parachute Battalions and 2 large independent Companies . The KC badge being worn well into 1953. With replacements of casualties, postings and discharge the personnel in the battalions number around 50,000 men. If each 'only' ever got 2 badges well do the maths. Why do they continue to command high prices? When you can get a regular county Regiment with maybe 3000 men through the books for the same period at a fraction of the cost. collecting. A mad hobby.

Last edited by tynesideirish; 11-08-10 at 05:10 PM.