British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-10, 04:25 PM

Default LRDG cap badges

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate the forum's comments on the LRDG badges below. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LRDG1.jpg (70.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg LRDG2.jpg (49.8 KB, 140 views)
Old 18-08-10, 05:58 PM

Default LRDG

hi,

I would put my money on the top left, bottom left and right, and leave
the one top right alone.

The 3 badges look authentic to me.

best regards,

Johan
Old 19-08-10, 10:14 AM

ditto.....
Old 19-08-10, 05:25 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments. I thought there might be some doubt over the one on the top right. What is it about it that makes you suspicious?

I'm glad I got the subject started because it brings me on to something related - has anyone seen the excellent book by Craig Fourie and Jonathan Pittaway called "LRDG Rhodesia" ? A fantastic book by 2 very knowledgeable and helpful friends of mine here in Durban(they may even be members of this forum). (Jonathan has since published a second edition which I also highly recommend.)

Anyway, each of the chapters in the first edition of the book starts with a photo of a different variation of LRDG badge, each one being borrowed and photographed directly from the possession of LRDG veterans during the course of creating the book.

The sand-cast badge at the beginning of "The Desert" chapter looks VERY similar to the one in my initial post (see attached photo for comparison). Given the provenance of the badge appearing in the book, could this not be a legitimate sand-cast example too?

My knowledge on the subject is far more limited so I look forward to hearing the forum's thoughts on this.

Thanks. Marco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandcast.jpg (68.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 19-08-10, 08:11 PM

Gidday Marco.

Shaun from New Zealand here. I know Jon and Craiog well (Craig is a member) and have supplied insignia scans for his LRDG, SAS and to be released Selous Scouts books.

I have seen many ex-vet badges here in NZ over the years but have never seen a double lipped one except for the ones that were made for the 1960s reunion. I do see the 6 or so NZ vets left alive and they would concur that the badges they were issued did not have a double lip.

I have some good samples shown in my photo folfers.

Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollmarc View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments. I thought there might be some doubt over the one on the top right. What is it about it that makes you suspicious?

I'm glad I got the subject started because it brings me on to something related - has anyone seen the excellent book by Craig Fourie and Jonathan Pittaway called "LRDG Rhodesia" ? A fantastic book by 2 very knowledgeable and helpful friends of mine here in Durban(they may even be members of this forum). (Jonathan has since published a second edition which I also highly recommend.)

Anyway, each of the chapters in the first edition of the book starts with a photo of a different variation of LRDG badge, each one being borrowed and photographed directly from the possession of LRDG veterans during the course of creating the book.

The sand-cast badge at the beginning of "The Desert" chapter looks VERY similar to the one in my initial post (see attached photo for comparison). Given the provenance of the badge appearing in the book, could this not be a legitimate sand-cast example too?

My knowledge on the subject is far more limited so I look forward to hearing the forum's thoughts on this.

Thanks. Marco
Old 19-08-10, 08:12 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=209
Old 20-08-10, 09:56 AM

This is my double lipped badge, but most people would call it a unfinished first pattern,

Take note of the badge detail

I recall talking to you about these Shawn?

But I would also Agree with Shawn and Johan, on the second pattern type, that looks much like the 60's type badge its always a hard call on these, I would love to see some photos of them in use, but man that would open a can of worms :P

But in saying that 3 good badges is 3 badges more than most people own!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20100706-IMG_0013.jpg (72.3 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Kiwi ric; 01-11-10 at 05:31 PM.
Old 20-08-10, 07:30 PM

Default LRDG badge

hi Ric,

Your badge is very nice indeed, definitely OK and quite unlike the one top right. I really would not call you LRDG badge 'double lipped'.

Best regards,

Johan
Old 20-08-10, 07:59 PM

Yes mate,

I have seen one of these before. Turned up in an Auckland Salvation Army shop for $10.......

Very nice badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ric View Post
This is my double lipped badge, but most people would call it a unfinished first pattern,

Take note of the badge detail

I recall talking to you about these Shawn?

But I would also Agree with Shawn and Johan, on the second pattern type, that looks much like the 60's type badge its always a hard call on these, I would love to see some photos of them in use, but man that would open a can of worms :P

But in saying that 3 good badges is 3 badges more than most people own!
Old 20-08-10, 11:14 PM

Great badge Ric. Wonderful detail and it's always nice to see a really lovely example. Thanks for sharing mate.

All the best, Roy.
Old 22-08-10, 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated