British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-09, 12:32 AM

Default HELP PLEASE WITH UNIDENTIFIED HOME GUARD CLOTH BADGE

can anyone please help me to identify this cloth badge that was given to me a few months ago ,it is a bit faded but readable and reads HOME GUARD SICO. the badge measures 8"x4 3/4".thanks for any help you can give me.
andy.

Last edited by yorkie; 29-01-15 at 11:10 AM.
Old 18-08-09, 06:06 AM

Is that not "S/CO" as in in S Company?

Tom
Old 18-08-09, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Is that not "S/CO" as in in S Company?

Tom
i am 99% sure it reads SICO.
andy.
Old 18-08-09, 11:57 AM

Which county is the badge from. It is probably short for something like "Sidcup Company", "Sidmouth Company" or "Sittingbourne Company", and if the county of origin is known the field will obviously be narrowed down. Home Guard units were often referred-to by their geographical locations - thus, the 6th Oxfordshire was also known as the City of Oxford battalion, while the 2nd Oxfordshire was The Bicester battalion. These battalions were initially known as "companies".
Old 18-08-09, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_C_Jenkins View Post
Which county is the badge from. It is probably short for something like "Sidcup Company", "Sidmouth Company" or "Sittingbourne Company", and if the county of origin is known the field will obviously be narrowed down. Home Guard units were often referred-to by their geographical locations - thus, the 6th Oxfordshire was also known as the City of Oxford battalion, while the 2nd Oxfordshire was The Bicester battalion. These battalions were initially known as "companies".
Also, a lot of the Home Guard Light Ack Ack Troops were raised from the employees of firms doing war work, and defended their work place from German aircraft.

For example E K Cole Ltd of Southend was defended by "A" LAA Troop of 16 Essex & Rubery Owen Messier Ltd of Warrington was defended by "B" LAA Troop of 78 Lancashire.

Some of these sub units are known to have worn distinctive badges, although I can't think of one that fits your description.

Sadly, Len Whittaker's book is not indexed.
Old 18-08-09, 01:08 PM

many thanks for suggestions/ideas etc about my home guard badge i appreciate any help you can give me.
in response to the request for information about what county the badge came from, all i know is that my friend has emailed me to tell me that as far as he knows the item comes from either north yorkshire or middlesbrough/
stockton-on-tees areas etc.
andy.
Old 18-08-09, 01:41 PM

I'm pretty certain it's S something Co (otherwise if it were SICO, as an acronym, the O would be uppercase too surely?)

Maybe this image can work better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0008.jpg (81.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 18-08-09, 04:18 PM

Possibly Skinningrove Iron & Steel Co, of Skinningrove?.

If so, this arm band might have been worn by "E" Troop of the 13th North Riding.

Just an educated guess really, so confirmation would be welcome.

Just in case anyone is wondering why an iron and steel works would need its own ack ack unit:

"The following is from a paper cutting 'Killed during air raid on Iron Works at Loftus'. At 01.45 Hours on August 10th, 12 HE (high explosive) bombs were dropped on Skinningrove Iron and Steel Works. Casualties were caused to men working at the Blast
Furnaces but output was only very slightly affected."

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=3158327

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=3158328

Last edited by BWEF; 18-08-09 at 04:35 PM.
Old 22-08-09, 01:34 PM

Default bwef.spot on mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Possibly Skinningrove Iron & Steel Co, of Skinningrove?.

If so, this arm band might have been worn by "E" Troop of the 13th North Riding.

Just an educated guess really, so confirmation would be welcome.

Just in case anyone is wondering why an iron and steel works would need its own ack ack unit:

"The following is from a paper cutting 'Killed during air raid on Iron Works at Loftus'. At 01.45 Hours on August 10th, 12 HE (high explosive) bombs were dropped on Skinningrove Iron and Steel Works. Casualties were caused to men working at the Blast
Furnaces but output was only very slightly affected."

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=3158327

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=3158328
hello, i have to say i am absolutely gobsmacked bwef got it spot on.
i emailed the guy who gave it to me and he in turn emailed the person he got it off and so on, i don`t know how many people were involved, but all i know is the answer came back to me and indeed it was skinningrove iron and steel works.
at least i can now do some research on the item and the steel works .
bwef many thanks what a star.
andy
Old 22-08-09, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
hello, i have to say i am absolutely gobsmacked bwef got it spot on.
i emailed the guy who gave it to me and he in turn emailed the person he got it off and so on, i don`t know how many people were involved, but all i know is the answer came back to me and indeed it was skinningrove iron and steel works.
at least i can now do some research on the item and the steel works .
bwef many thanks what a star.
andy
Pleased to hear that it all worked out Andy.

Any praise due belongs to the late L W Whittaker, whose book "Stand Down" is an order of battle for the WW2 Home Guard.

I don't know if "Stand Down" is still in print. I got my copy from Len Whittaker himself in November 1990.

Tags
cloth title., home guard