British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-15, 08:52 AM

Default "Chindits return as cyber-commandos"

I don't know if anyone else has seen this? <http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/chindits-return-as-cyber-commandos-11363958802235>

The use of buzzwords such as "shaping behaviours through the use of dynamic narratives" worries me, but on the plus side it appears there will be a new cap badge to look out for: "The Chindits were named after the Chinthe - fierce lion-like creatures that stood guard at every Burmese temple - and the 77th Brigade's cap badge will feature the mythical animal, according to reports."

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 31-01-15, 10:10 AM
Former Member

Graham,
I know it says Cap badge at the bottom of the article, although I suspect this will be a Formation Sign/TRF and not a Headdress badge?

So one for the "Cloth Moths" and not "Cap Badgers"

Andy
Old 31-01-15, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
I don't know if anyone else has seen this? <http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/chindits-return-as-cyber-commandos-11363958802235>

The use of buzzwords such as "shaping behaviours through the use of dynamic narratives" worries me, but on the plus side it appears there will be a new cap badge to look out for: "The Chindits were named after the Chinthe - fierce lion-like creatures that stood guard at every Burmese temple - and the 77th Brigade's cap badge will feature the mythical animal, according to reports."

Graham
It all seems a rather obscure historical linkage to me. As I understand it the Special Force/3 Indian Div/Chindits were engaged io "shaping behaviours through the engagement with and killing of the Imperial Japanese Army" . I think the Chindits will appear as a cloth sign rather than a headdress badge. But the Regular Army does manage to get these things wrong - eg the WW2 sign worn by Newfoundland Gunners being adopted about ten years ago by 15th Psychological Operations Group!

And the divisional sign of US 104 Inf Div being worn by the British 104 Logistic Brigade. Words fail me! Mike
Old 31-01-15, 10:17 AM

I got the impression that the new 77th Brigade will be made up of various units, both regular & reserve with their own cap badges being worn BUT wearing the chidit formation patch(or a version of it) as the TRF.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 31-01-15, 01:53 PM

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/chin...11363958802235

You do wonder if todays journalists have the knowledge required to do their job properly?

If you even have the most elementary knowledge on a subject and you see something in a newspaper about that subject, you often come to the conclusion that the writer had no idea what he was talking about.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-01-15, 02:29 PM

Peter,
It is easy to blame the journalists but the people releasing the MOD information to the press are not always as clued up as they might be.
Eddie

Last edited by ebro; 31-01-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 31-01-15, 02:44 PM

I read this news on the BBC website yesterday. I really have no thoughts on it beyond the fact that, if the army wants to try something new to bring them more into the modern age, then so be it. Single accommodation units with TV and internet services seems to have been welcomed so why not this?

I suppose the Naafi canteen is empty at night time now?

The army has changed so much. I don't know anymore if I'd still enjoy soldiering. when I joined up I could still recognise it as the army my dad was in during WW2 - not now!
Old 31-01-15, 03:35 PM

Default 77 Brigade

Any ideas on a formation sign for this new Brigade? I am still thinking about it?
Old 31-01-15, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORISKANY View Post
Any ideas on a formation sign for this new Brigade? I am still thinking about it?
A silhouette image of ET maybe?
Old 01-02-15, 11:36 AM

I am at a complete loss at the linkage of this formation to the Chindits but naming and associating units on a whim was all too common when we tried to advise the powers that were.

Ah hang it - just get on to the BBC and licence the image of a Doctor Who Cyberman...
Old 01-02-15, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
I am at a complete loss at the linkage of this formation to the Chindits but naming and associating units on a whim was all too common when we tried to advise the powers that were.

Ah hang it - just get on to the BBC and licence the image of a Doctor Who Cyberman...
You're not the only one who's lost on why they made this comparison. If it came from an army press release it does show they need a Bde of men to help them get things right.