British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-01-14, 08:04 PM

Default forester brigade badge backing

anybody got any ideas what a black felt badge backing cut to the outline of the forester brigade badge means? the badge is annodised aluminium,and maker stamped j r gaunt London. regards john
Old 04-01-14, 09:13 PM

Hello John. No idea about the black felt , I understood that the backing was a green square (Lincoln green?)

Cheers, Paul
Old 05-01-14, 12:30 PM

Default FORESTER BRIGADE BADGE BACKING

hi paul, as this badge came to me with the black backing I naturally thought it was correct, however it's not! your answer is correct as the forester brigade all wore a 2" Lincoln green badge backing. this is confirmed on page 86 of badge backings and special embellishments of the british army. i just wondered why somebody put a black outline backing on this particular badge, when it should have a square green one. obviously there are some strange people out there who get their hands on a badge and have a Laurence lewellan bowen moment, getting all creative. thanks again for your correct confirmation. regards john

Last edited by cavalryman; 05-01-14 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-01-14, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalryman View Post
hi paul, as this badge came to me with the black backing I naturally thought it was correct, however it's not! your answer is correct as the forester brigade all wore a 2" Lincoln green badge backing. this is confirmed on page 86 of badge backings and special embellishments of the british army. i just wondered why somebody put a black outline backing on this particular badge, when it should have a square green one. obviously there are some strange people out there who get their hands on a badge and have a Laurence lewellan bowen moment, getting all creative. thanks again for your correct confirmation. regards john
The green I can understand,but black no.Not for the Forester Brigade.
Along the same lines,i have an RAC beret badge on lugs.It came with a red backing,but ive seen the same badge for sale with a black backing.My thoughts on this are :- Mine was worn by a recruit to the 15/19th Hussars as they wore a red backing and the other is to the RSGreys or the RSDG as they wore/wear a black backing.
Old 05-01-14, 07:03 PM

hi mike h, thanks for your input, I was also contacted by a member who wore this Lincoln green badge backing from his time as a royal Warwickshire regiment soldier when they entered the forester brigade. regards john
Old 16-05-14, 01:27 PM

Any possibility a black backing may have been affected by the Leicestershire Regiment whilst belonging to the bde? Reflecting the black "worm"?
Old 16-05-14, 07:14 PM

leigh, the black felt backing was incorrect! the forester brigade badge officially had a Lincoln green felt backing and this has been backed up by forum members who wore it. also seen mentioned in official documentation at the national army museum. regards john