British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-06-11, 06:23 PM

Default The Story of National Servicemen

We were glad to have Penny Legg with us today and to learn she has been commissioned by her publisher to write a book about men and women who have seen service in the armed forces during the reign of the present Queen: National Service, Regular, Territorial or Reserve, Penny would like to hear from them all.
.................................................. .................................................. .......

Just in passing I have posted a snippet from my blog (See link below), reporting on a meeting this morning of a historical society I am involved with. I was delighted to hear Penny is particularly keen on writing of the great part played by National Servicemen, so often underestimated, and to record their stories. I wish her every success with the book which is being published as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2012.

John
Old 13-06-11, 09:39 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
We were glad to have Penny Legg with us today and to learn she has been commissioned by her publisher to write a book about men and women who have seen service in the armed forces during the reign of the present Queen: National Service, Regular, Territorial or Reserve, Penny would like to hear from them all.
.................................................. .................................................. .......

Just in passing I have posted a snippet from my blog (See link below), reporting on a meeting this morning of a historical society I am involved with. I was delighted to hear Penny is particularly keen on writing of the great part played by National Servicemen, so often underestimated, and to record their stories. I wish her every success with the book which is being published as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2012.

John
John,

Penny's project sounds absolutley fascinating.

May I ask how she is going about the task of gathering Servicemen's stories, and approximately how many she estimates will be sufficient for her research?

Regards,

Peter
Old 14-06-11, 06:55 AM

Default The story of National Servicemen

Hi Peter,
I put your question to Penny, and below is her reply to my email. Be great if some members of the forum can come up with stories.

I am delighted to say that Penny is a highly valued member of the historical society of which I am Hon. Secretary.
Regards,
John

Hi John,

'Under the Queen's Colours 'will be a hard-back book, with black and white images, published by The History Press in 2012. It will cover the 60-year period of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II and will feature stories designed to show HM Forces - National Service, Regular, Reserve etc - serving Her Majesty during that period. I have been in contact with the Royal British Legion, QARANC, various online forums, have written to contacts I have with serving and ex-serving personnel and am in the process of contacting the various military newspapers (Navy News etc) and a long list of other organisations. I have written to the Palace to see if the Queen will endorse the book and I want a Royal to write the Foreword. It is early days for me yet - I was only commissioned 6 days ago - but already I have about 10,000 words of the 100,000 words I will need. This equates to as many stories as I can gather (some are very short - a few words - but one person has promised me 6,000 words, which will be super). I have to have the book finished and with the publisher by 1 December, which is going to be hard work.

I want the book to show as many facets of the military as possible. I would like women to be in it so that it is balanced. I have none so far. I have no RAF yet and only one RN. I have an interview lined up with an ex National Serviceman next week, which will prove interesting. In short, if you or your colleague Peter are in a position to spread the word, I would be grateful. Of course, any assistance will be fully credited in the book. I hope to be able to give a proportion of the income from the book to The Poppy Appeal. I have yet to sort this out with my publisher.

If you or anyone else have any queries, please do come back to me. If Peter is interested, or would like any reassurance as to my credentials, please point him in the the direction of my website: www.pennylegg.com

Many thanks John

Penny

Last edited by johnG; 14-06-11 at 07:04 AM.
Old 14-06-11, 08:50 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
Hi Peter,
I put your question to Penny, and below is her reply to my email. Be great if some members of the forum can come up with stories.

I am delighted to say that Penny is a highly valued member of the historical society of which I am Hon. Secretary.
Regards,
John

Hi John,

'Under the Queen's Colours 'will be a hard-back book, with black and white images, published by The History Press in 2012. It will cover the 60-year period of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II and will feature stories designed to show HM Forces - National Service, Regular, Reserve etc - serving Her Majesty during that period. I have been in contact with the Royal British Legion, QARANC, various online forums, have written to contacts I have with serving and ex-serving personnel and am in the process of contacting the various military newspapers (Navy News etc) and a long list of other organisations. I have written to the Palace to see if the Queen will endorse the book and I want a Royal to write the Foreword. It is early days for me yet - I was only commissioned 6 days ago - but already I have about 10,000 words of the 100,000 words I will need. This equates to as many stories as I can gather (some are very short - a few words - but one person has promised me 6,000 words, which will be super). I have to have the book finished and with the publisher by 1 December, which is going to be hard work.

I want the book to show as many facets of the military as possible. I would like women to be in it so that it is balanced. I have none so far. I have no RAF yet and only one RN. I have an interview lined up with an ex National Serviceman next week, which will prove interesting. In short, if you or your colleague Peter are in a position to spread the word, I would be grateful. Of course, any assistance will be fully credited in the book. I hope to be able to give a proportion of the income from the book to The Poppy Appeal. I have yet to sort this out with my publisher.

If you or anyone else have any queries, please do come back to me. If Peter is interested, or would like any reassurance as to my credentials, please point him in the the direction of my website: www.pennylegg.com

Many thanks John

Penny
Thanks John,

No reassurance as to Penny's credentials necessary, mate. I wish her all the very best with this project, and very much look forward to it's release.

PM on its way.

Peter
Old 26-04-12, 05:30 AM

I am happy to say Penny's book is well and truly advanced and is due for release soon, in June I think, to fit in with the Jubilee celebrations.

This promises to be a really interesting book, and it gives me great pleasure to tell you Penny will be talking to my lot about it at the Lordshill Historical Society, Southampton, on Thursday 13 December, when signed copies of the book will be on sale.

Hell, it must be a good book......I even get a mention in it.....what more can you ask for.

johnG