British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-15, 09:28 PM

Default 'Do the whole thing!'

Hello

I think my comments have been misinterpreted regarding uniforms?!

To clarify, if you are to have a head dress section, why not go the whole way and have a uniform section which would naturally include head dress because it forms part of a uniform, and for that matter other items such as belts & pouches.

Not only would this mean you cover more insignia, but it would be much more beneficial when it comes down to dating photo's and I think that is what Mr.'Grumpy' was saying as well? unless I've misunderstood him?

So if there was constructed, say, an Album of complete uniforms of all kinds then I would suggest this would be of greater use than of one just of head dress IMHO.

Regards
Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 11-10-15, 03:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Your WWII RE and WWII REME both have post war badges.

What makes the 'Other Militaria' section under 'Everything Else' unsuitable for a head dress sticky?

Rgds, Thomas.
Thomas,

In my opinion everything else is a very big area which is best suited for one off posts, as each and every cap/hat badge was meant to have gone on a piece of head dress this makes head dress a potentially large area of study and interest meriting its own section here on the Forum if their is sufficient interest expressed by Forum members for such a section, I of course do realise that by the virtue of being mainly made out of material based on a percentage ratio not as many items of head dress will have survived the ravages of time as have metal cap badges, but in my opinion it's an interesting area and whilst not all may agree I find it much more pleasing to see a cap badge/helmet plate ect displayed on the item of head dress it was designed to go on as opposed to being mounted on a piece of card or in a frame.

FMT600
Old 11-10-15, 08:02 AM

Default Both

I agree with both Rob and FMT600
As already with sub sections most things are covered and we could go on and on ,but Headdress would seem a natural progression and then uniforms and might bring in more members and with that more importantly more research detail. Rob has mentioned the Pouches but theres so much more like the wearing of Cap lines one of the small things after the 1922 amalgamation of the 17th /21st was the 21st way of wearing them was adopted. Sabretaches ,sword slings ect ect I as a collector of Lancer items from Lance tip to spur welcome any extra information. I have often seen written on the Forum Knowledge is power why would we not want to increase our Knowledge?. Heres a 21st Officers side cap you don't see many of these.

Rgs Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02335.jpg (33.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-10-15, 08:08 AM

My twopennorth on the subject is.
Yes I thought initially that a headdress section would be an excellent idea but then someone upped that to a uniform section which in my opinion is a better idea as among other things it could show what headdress was worn with what uniform.
Old 12-10-15, 07:24 AM
Administrator

This thread in now in the new Headdress sub-forum.
We've scrapped the 'Forum Projects' sub-forum, merging those posts into the 'General Topics' sub-forum of the British Military Insignia section. This allows that slot on the index page to be occupied by the new Headress sub-forum, without increasing the size of the main index page.
Old 12-10-15, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Now. Is it:

Headdress
Head-Dress
or
Head Dress

K&K is 'Head-Dress', but the Oxford English Dictionary likes 'Headdress'
Old 12-10-15, 08:25 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
This thread in now in the new Headdress sub-forum.
We've scrapped the 'Forum Projects' sub-forum, merging those posts into the 'General Topics' sub-forum of the British Military Insignia section. This allows that slot on the index page to be occupied by the new Headress sub-forum, without increasing the size of the main index page.
Hi Chaps
Well firstly a big thanks to Mike for doing this new section very much appeciated and I hope this new section provides a much needed sorce of information to everyone on the forum that uses it clap clap clap to mike again steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !
Old 13-10-15, 04:37 PM

"Headdress" is ugly but I use it [which may tell you something].

Why I seized on a "YES PLEASE" was because it is an aspect where I am ignorant compared with uniform below the neck. If someone could have the patience to sit down and do a tabulation of the various types in British use against period in use, with perhaps a photo of the garment, that would be grand.
Probably a separate table needed for undress, and there again "hot climate".

I realise that I am baying for the moon, but time and time again I find I need to dredge through "uniform" books to find a passing and inadequate reference to hats, often without an illustration.
Old 14-10-15, 04:03 PM

Headdress is the formal military term, at least in the British Army. A very good decision to create this section.