British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-08-15, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Allison,
Seriously which ST are you looking for? I've a box full of standard Inf titles.

Andy
"I'm a Guardsman and we don't abbreviate".

You just did.
Old 07-08-15, 07:54 PM

He may or may not abbreviate, but a Guardsman. A Guardsman.... A Guardsman. Guardsman. Uniform. Guards Uniform..... I once at a former place of work accidentally and very innocently walked in on a half dressed Life Guard. It's a long story. I have never fully recovered
Old 07-08-15, 08:57 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
He may or may not abbreviate, but a Guardsman. A Guardsman.... A Guardsman. Guardsman. Uniform. Guards Uniform..... I once at a former place of work accidentally and very innocently walked in on a half dressed Life Guard. It's a long story. I have never fully recovered
lol....

Glad you got your badge 🙀

Andy
Old 07-08-15, 09:04 PM

Thanks again
Old 08-08-15, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Hi Andy
I bought my first ebay badge from you yesterday! was terribly nervous of making an online purchase as I don't want to get ripped off, but I followed you on here so knew I was in safe hands( stalker alert) I know its relatively unusual still to have a girly interested in militaria or military history(though there are more around than ever I'm glad to notice), there are people still people picking their jaws up off their floor on the Great War Forum(marriage proposals have been received! ) I will shock you further by telling you I hate shopping, don't give a stuff about handbags or shoes, my favourite movie is the Battle of Britain, and ideal way to spend an evening would be curled up watching that or reading anything by Peter Barton or Richard Van Emden. Ideal day out IWM Duxford, or RAF Hendon. Spitfire's *sighs*

Hi Gerard
My Granddad was with the 4th Middlesex at the start of the Great War when he was 15, he also served with the Scottish Rifles and East Surreys, then Blackwatch inter wars and RA in WW2, I am of course still interested in all of those but have spent a lot of time reading the 4th Middlesex war diaries from start to finish even after Granddad was transferred to another regiment, I just couldn't put it down and although the 4th Middlesex diaries contain some of the worst handwriting I have ever encountered(other then a RAMC Officers diary-Bloomin' doctors handwriting!)
I have a special fondness for them(e.g February 1915 "Germans bailing out their trench, volley fired, there was no more immediate bailing of the trench" Christmas Eve 1915 "Germans calling out from their trench that they only want peace, we fired off a rally, they didn't call out after that" I guess the warnings after the 1914 ceasefire were heeded!) and have made them my pet battalion so to speak!
As for the Rifle Brigade I have a Gt, Gt Uncle who was in 10th Battalion, was killed at Canal Bank in 1917 and is buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery near Boezinghe. I have kind of "adopted" him and make sure he is remembered, just started with the Rifle Brigade war diaries this week.
My granddad had a massive family their are literally dozens of cousins, same on my maternal side of the family and my aim is to research as fully as I can all those who fought in the Great War and have period badges for each one.
Of course that's the sensible me, and we all know what will happen is I will just want one of everything and I will end up penniless!
Apologies for the long post
Allison
Hello Allison,
Glad you are enjoying the Forum, as Andy said the ''addiction'' is starting to set in you have some nice history there with Granddad's and Gt Uncles to keep you busy !! my Granddad was a bit older having served as RSM in the 5th Batt Rifle Brigade inc South Africa war and was out and to old for front line active service for WW1 but did go back in RB as costal defence during WW1 in Minster-on -sea. My dad was RAF During WW11 then was transferred to the Middlesex Regt ending up as CSM 5th Batt HQ Company [TA] so that's what keeps me interested in those two. Good luck with the badge hunting
Gerard
Old 08-08-15, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Hi Andy
I bought my first ebay badge from you yesterday! was terribly nervous of making an online purchase as I don't want to get ripped off, but I followed you on here so knew I was in safe hands( stalker alert) I know its relatively unusual still to have a girly interested in militaria or military history(though there are more around than ever I'm glad to notice), there are people still people picking their jaws up off their floor on the Great War Forum(marriage proposals have been received! ) I will shock you further by telling you I hate shopping, don't give a stuff about handbags or shoes, my favourite movie is the Battle of Britain, and ideal way to spend an evening would be curled up watching that or reading anything by Peter Barton or Richard Van Emden. Ideal day out IWM Duxford, or RAF Hendon. Spitfire's *sighs*

Hi Gerard
My Granddad was with the 4th Middlesex at the start of the Great War when he was 15, he also served with the Scottish Rifles and East Surreys, then Blackwatch inter wars and RA in WW2, I am of course still interested in all of those but have spent a lot of time reading the 4th Middlesex war diaries from start to finish even after Granddad was transferred to another regiment, I just couldn't put it down and although the 4th Middlesex diaries contain some of the worst handwriting I have ever encountered(other then a RAMC Officers diary-Bloomin' doctors handwriting!)
I have a special fondness for them(e.g February 1915 "Germans bailing out their trench, volley fired, there was no more immediate bailing of the trench" Christmas Eve 1915 "Germans calling out from their trench that they only want peace, we fired off a rally, they didn't call out after that" I guess the warnings after the 1914 ceasefire were heeded!) and have made them my pet battalion so to speak!
As for the Rifle Brigade I have a Gt, Gt Uncle who was in 10th Battalion, was killed at Canal Bank in 1917 and is buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery near Boezinghe. I have kind of "adopted" him and make sure he is remembered, just started with the Rifle Brigade war diaries this week.
Allison
Welcome Allison. You sound just like my girlfriend, sometimes having to visit so many war museums, castles etc. gets too much even for me. She has a collection of badges and inert ammo with an especial interest in spitfire fund pins. Her most recent additions have been a Polish hand grenade and a ww2 trench art lighter. Shes obsessed with men in uniforms especially RAF and Royal Navy but police/fire would do. Shes not on the forum but shes met a couple of the "really nice guys" on here (Jerry, Steve and Ken watchout).

Edit: also, she will only watch war films, absolutely nothing else!!

Last edited by Phil2M; 08-08-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-08-15, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Hi Allison!

Welcome to the Forum ☺
I share your interest in WW1 history and collect mainly to that period. Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful members on here!

Though I must say you are the first to get the MCR quote ☺

Cheers

Colin
Sorry Colin, I got it before but didn't say anything
Old 08-08-15, 11:33 AM

Hello Gerard
That's a very interesting history you have there as well! I'm going to have a sneeky peek at your albums on your profile.
I presume you have a few bits and bobs passed down from your family? I have only a few Para thing's of my mum's, my brother got all the militaria when my dad died. Although I can't remember what we did with the Hurricane nose we found in the shed!
Allison
Old 08-08-15, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Sorry Colin, I got it before but didn't say anything
Old 08-08-15, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Welcome Allison. You sound just like my girlfriend, sometimes having to visit so many war museums, castles etc. gets too much even for me. She has a collection of badges and inert ammo with an especial interest in spitfire fund pins. Her most recent additions have been a Polish hand grenade and a ww2 trench art lighter. Shes obsessed with men in uniforms especially RAF and Royal Navy but police/fire would do. Shes not on the forum but shes met a couple of the "really nice guys" on here (Jerry, Steve and Ken watchout).

Edit: also, she will only watch war films, absolutely nothing else!!
Phil your girl sounds exactly like my kind of person! Aren't you lucky you share mutual interests
Although I totally agree with her in regards to an RAF uniform, and like any red blooded female when it comes to a fireman's uniform er that's a yes from me too we will have to part ways when it comes to Royal Navy or police. I do have a very favourite-heart-skips-a-beat uniform but I think I might keep that to myself
Allison
Old 08-08-15, 03:50 PM

Loads of girls it seems to be a RM in dress uniform as second to the RAF. I think I would have to keep an eye on Z even around a traffic warden
Old 08-08-15, 03:59 PM

Welcome to the forum Allison, good to see you here, as well as at the GWF.
Old 08-08-15, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Loads of girls it seems to be a RM in dress uniform as second to the RAF. I think I would have to keep an eye on Z even around a traffic warden
Blimey

Nah not a Royal Marine, I was raised by a Paratrooper so it would definitely not be a Royal Marine uniform!!(not Para either) I'm keeping schtum! That wasn't a clue, it's definitely British!
Old 08-08-15, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Hi Toby, thank you, I'm a lot more out of my depth here, but I am avidly reading and learning
Old 08-08-15, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I had a hunch it was you!