British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-12, 07:54 PM

Default Jungle boots?

I have been given these jungle boots and was wondering in what period they were used if in fact they are military issue, thanks, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malay Jungle boots 005.jpg (45.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Malay Jungle boots 004.jpg (38.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 28-04-12, 08:00 PM

They look the issue ones that were introduced with the 1944 pattern equipment, are there any stamps inside?
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 28-04-12, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
They look the issue ones that were introduced with the 1944 pattern equipment, are there any stamps inside?
Lee
Hi. Lee, thanks for getting back so quickly, there are no markings on the inside of the boots, I would have though that they were later because of the makers stamp on th bottom of the boots, have you seen my next question, John.
Old 28-04-12, 08:56 PM

Default JUNGLE BOOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
I have been given these jungle boots and was wondering in what period they were used if in fact they are military issue, thanks, John
Made in Malaysia. Malaysia formed Post Aug 63 so must be after that. Mine were made by BATA in 1956. As a base wallah mine sat in my locker for 3 years untouched except for dusting! In the end I gave mine to the boot boy and I think he flogged them. I was told that you were lucky to get a week's wear jungle bashing before the soles departed from the uppers. Paludrine and salt tablets days! Or as the tattoo said "Malaya, never again".
Old 28-04-12, 09:23 PM

Probably used from mid-1950s. Definitely used by British and Commonwealth troops in Malaysia and Singapore from early 1960s into the early 1970s. Then for the British at least they were superseded by the very much less expendable US-made leather and nylon jungle boots with an anti-panji mesh between outer and inner soles. As stated above and from personal experience the Bata made boots lasted about two weeks in jungle conditions. As an issue they were accompnied by rubber and canvas short boots, even flimsier and brown in colour - known to the Royals as PAs (or Pierre Alain's - a famous French free climber or so the 3 Cdo Bde folklore had it). On the same theme and within the Royals the leather ankle boots with "commando" rubber soles were known as SVs (Souliers Vibram). End of boot lecture. Any questions?

Last edited by Mike Jackson; 28-04-12 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 28-04-12, 10:19 PM

Certainly look like the business ... definitely wouldn't last more than three to four weeks continous wear due to the persistant wet conditions.

The SV Boot with the Commando sole was manufactured at a factory on the outskirts of Petersfield, Hampshire and generally was a bit of good kit.

Ritchie.
Old 28-04-12, 11:14 PM

These boots are still made in Malaysia, a friend picked me up a pair a few years ago but they were to big. Also SASS used to sell them in the late 80,s
Old 30-04-12, 08:25 PM

Default Jungle boot

Thanks for the info. given above. If I am rite the boots would be from the 1960"s. John.