British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-20, 02:08 PM

Default ATS Officer with FANY title an early rank badges

A nice posed picture of an ATS Company Commander wearing the early pattern gilt ATS rank stars and the cloth arm badge showing she originally served with the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry. She also wears some form of staff armband.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATS early 1 JM.jpg (44.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg ATS Offr early 2.jpg (39.2 KB, 113 views)
Old 06-08-20, 02:39 PM

Jon, A truly excellent picture!!! I also notice that her WTS FANY title is teh version on a khaki field.

What color would the staff arm band be?

What staff woudl she be attached to - ATS?

Very grateful for your sharing this!!!

Terry
Old 03-12-21, 01:17 PM

Do you mind explaining more about the rank stars.
Old 03-12-21, 09:58 PM

From my book Badges on Battle Dress

Jon

ATS officers and ORs wore a version of officer’s service dress with shirt, collar, tie and skirt. Bronze collar badges identified officers, brass shoulder titles ORs, the latter’s lettering style designed to avoid confusion with the titles worn by the boys of the Army Technical School.

As the Army Act did not apply to the ATS, military ranks and rank badges were not permitted, unique ATS rank badges taking their place. Junior officers wore seven-pointed, bronze stars on their shoulders to which senior ranks added bronze laurel wreaths. NCOs adopted ATS rank titles but wore Army-style rank chevrons, Section Leaders wearing three stripes, Sub-Leaders two and Chief Volunteers, one. Known as Senior Leaders the ATS equivalent of Warrant Officers Class II wore WOII rank badges but omitted the crown at its centre.

In February 1940 these badges were revised , officers’ badges becoming gilt , the unpopular laurel wreath replaced by the ‘crown Vallary’ or King John’s crown, Senior Leaders wearing a cloth version of it on the lower sleeve
Old 07-12-21, 01:25 PM

Thanks Jon. Yes I remember now it has been mentioned, it was one of the reasons I pitched my uniform to 1941, it is nice to see a photo example, also thanks to others who pm'ed me pictures really helpful. I'll look out you book.

Tags
ats, fany