British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-06-18, 02:03 PM

Default Queens visit to Chester

Whilst I am in no way either anti Royalist nor a particular fan of the Royal family, the Queens visit to Chester next week has been preceded by amongst other things, the phone boxes being repainted, white and yellow lines on roads being repainted,bollards and the flag staff outside the Town Hall being repainted. It also appears that the boards that have just put up outside the recently closed McDonalds next to the Town Hall are now being removed after being put up earlier in the week , presumably to make the empty shop look more attractive.

I am sure her majesty is more than aware of the current economic climate in the country and the difficulties that local authorities find themselves in and I am sure she would probably not even notice if all the " improvements" had not been carried out.

It does amuse me what those in authority will do when it suits them.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-06-18, 02:40 PM

Potemkin village?
Old 08-06-18, 03:26 PM

When undertaking studies in Liverpool too many years ago to really remember, one thing that stuck in my mind was seeing lengths of road resurfaced - coincidentally tracking the route of a Royal visit a couple of weeks later. I am sure the Queen is not out of touch, and would regard the whole bizarre revamp as perverse ... not to forget it was only when the palace suffered bomb damage that the royal family said they could look Eastenders in the eye. It is not as though Chester is Tory these days or that Liverpool was then ... just very odd!
Old 08-06-18, 03:32 PM

Interesting Peter, made me search for the last monarch to visit Huyton. Found an image of King George V and Lord Derby at Huyton Station dated 1924....... So that's where and when all the money went.
Tony.
Old 08-06-18, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Whilst I am in no way either anti Royalist nor a particular fan of the Royal family, the Queens visit to Chester next week has been preceded by amongst other things, the phone boxes being repainted, white and yellow lines on roads being repainted,bollards and the flag staff outside the Town Hall being repainted. It also appears that the boards that have just put up outside the recently closed McDonalds next to the Town Hall are now being removed after being put up earlier in the week , presumably to make the empty shop look more attractive.

I am sure her majesty is more than aware of the current economic climate in the country and the difficulties that local authorities find themselves in and I am sure she would probably not even notice if all the " improvements" had not been carried out.

P.B.
Hi, P.B.,

When the Royal couple were on tour in other parts of the world, including New Zealand, they got used to the smell of drying paint.

Cheers, Tinto
Old 08-06-18, 06:05 PM

Default Chester

Just like the Army prior to an inspection when we painted all pick helves. How do the road repairs fare when measured against the many millions of money from the tourists for the recent wedding?
Old 08-06-18, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteersoldier View Post
Just like the Army prior to an inspection when we painted all pick helves. How do the road repairs fare when measured against the many millions of money from the tourists for the recent wedding?
Yep Windsor/ Berkshire must have 'creamed it in'.
Tony.
Old 08-06-18, 07:25 PM

Volunteer Soldier ... No criticism intended re the Royal family - hence the Eastend reference. It is Politicians that sometimes baffle me.
Old 08-06-18, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
When undertaking studies in Liverpool too many years ago to really remember, one thing that stuck in my mind was seeing lengths of road resurfaced - coincidentally tracking the route of a Royal visit a couple of weeks later. I am sure the Queen is not out of touch, and would regard the whole bizarre revamp as perverse ... not to forget it was only when the palace suffered bomb damage that the royal family said they could look Eastenders in the eye. It is not as though Chester is Tory these days or that Liverpool was then ... just very odd!
I am trying to arrange a Royal visit down my street so it could be resurfaced, the lighting fixed and generally cleaned up.

I wont hold my breath!!

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 17-06-18, 07:26 AM

Simply cosmetic, I very much doubt if any of the work, such as it was, cost very much, but, I cannot help thinking that perhaps it could have been better spent elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post

P.B.
Old 17-06-18, 09:57 AM

Default Queen's Visit to Chester

Whilst being 100% in favour of Queen and Country - 35 years of military service-
I do wish members would desist on exuding bitter gall on local politicians and Her Majesty in the same context. Long Live the Queen and let us concentrate on matters military. There are more than enough outlets to comment on other matters.