British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-17, 07:24 AM

Default Changes to the Forum?

Morning all

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed changes to the Forum in the last day or so. Layout, typeface and operation.

I can't quite put my finger on the differences but it doesn't seem to be working quite the same way! Threads seem to disappear from time to time and I don't know whether it is something I have inadvertently done to my computer or not! I've tried deleting cookies and so on but it has made no difference.

Roger
Old 08-04-17, 07:37 AM

YES, I noticed when I replied to a thread about fair at Pudsey this Sunday.
I made my note, pressed "submit reply" and it disappeared. I did a bump to retrieve it but the same happened. Yet when I went to fairs etc it was there.
I was also getting between 11 & 24 pages of threads that had not been replied to recently. Lets see what happens to this........

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 08-04-17, 08:29 AM

Hello Jerry

Yes, that's exactly my experience last night and again this morning. A new thread on military buttons appeared, I replied to it and, hey presto, both my response and the original thread have disappeared. I can find them in the Military Buttons forum but they have gone from the original page.

As you say, let's wait and see what happens. It might just be a glitch in the system.

At least I now know that I am not alone!

Roger
Old 08-04-17, 10:11 AM

I think at around 16:30-ish yesterday, there was a software update. I was creating a KRRC-related thread around that time, and when I pressed the 'submit' button, the whole thing appeared to disappear (if you'll forgive the oxymoron).

Now I'm having to select the 'today's posts' button if I want to view anything retrospectively. No big deal, just different to before and just a little unfamiliar.

JT
Old 08-04-17, 10:28 AM

Hello JT

Thanks for your comments.

I accept the 'unfamiliarity' side of it but like a lot of people, I'm sure, I just don't like change!

Problem is though that posts seem to be disappearing as well! When I opened the new posts page a few minutes ago there was your post but when I submit this response your post will disappear and there will be no trace of my new post either. I can't believe that this is right.

Roger

PS Just adding this note to confirm that what I said above has happened. Looked for new posts but yours has gone and no sign of my reply yet both are visible if I go to the Forum Operation page. Perhaps it is just that I am not seeing the posts I make or the ones I have replied to.

Last edited by Cribyn; 08-04-17 at 10:31 AM. Reason: PS added
Old 08-04-17, 11:10 AM

I note that when I use the New Posts button it comes up with pages and pages of previous posts stating "These posts have not been updated since your last visit but still include unread material". So yes, something has changed!
Keith
Old 08-04-17, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello JT

Thanks for your comments.

I accept the 'unfamiliarity' side of it but like a lot of people, I'm sure, I just don't like change!

Problem is though that posts seem to be disappearing as well! When I opened the new posts page a few minutes ago there was your post but when I submit this response your post will disappear and there will be no trace of my new post either. I can't believe that this is right.

Roger

PS Just adding this note to confirm that what I said above has happened. Looked for new posts but yours has gone and no sign of my reply yet both are visible if I go to the Forum Operation page. Perhaps it is just that I am not seeing the posts I make or the ones I have replied to.
Hello Roger,

Yeah ditto... I'm having to select the 'today's posts' option in order to see threads I have contributed to, immediately following posting (as are we all, I assume).

At first I thought I might have inadvertently hit some or other setting without realising, but glad you took the time to post and confirm that it's not just me

Cheers.
Old 08-04-17, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
I note that when I use the New Posts button it comes up with pages and pages of previous posts stating "These posts have not been updated since your last visit but still include unread material". So yes, something has changed!
Keith
Hello Keith

Yes, same with me.

I think JT has the answer though (post 4 above)! If you skip past 'New Posts' and go to 'Quick Links' and then 'Today's Posts' things seem to work more or less as normal. You can view posts and reply and they stay where they were! Well they did earlier!

Roger
Old 08-04-17, 03:54 PM

This is driving me nuts! Whenever I log in, usually daily, I read ALL new posts, now all of a sudden posts I've already seen more than a week ago are marked as unread. Why? There seems to be no rhyme or reason. How hard can it be for software to remember which posts I've already seen? Worked perfectly for years.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 08-04-17, 04:12 PM

I don't mind it how it is now.
Old 08-04-17, 04:20 PM

No, it's a pain in the arse and there's obviously a bug somewhere, I also press new posts and look at nearly if not all that's been posted.
Hopefully it'll be sorted in while.
Old 08-04-17, 04:34 PM

Ok, I have just experienced the disappearing threads. It is irritating.
Old 08-04-17, 04:48 PM
Administrator

I updated the software yesterday, which also required an update of the server side scripting language (php) to get the thing to work.

I assumed everything would continue as normal. Perhaps not.

(I did just restart the thing as well just now)
Old 08-04-17, 05:01 PM

It's still the same for me after your restart.
Old 08-04-17, 05:05 PM

Hi Gents,

I noticed the update message yesterday and once finished there was and is no noticeable change or issue to the forum that I can see, viewed from this side of the pond.

Not sure if that helps but thought it worth mentioning.

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com