British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-08, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Wound Badge

Controversial issue. Some people in Canada are lobbying for a medal for being wounded in service. The traditional approach has been the Wound Stripe.
Sure to raise some hackles, both sides.
Canadian Purple Heart
Old 13-08-08, 03:21 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Controversial issue. Some people in Canada are lobbying for a medal for being wounded in service. The traditional approach has been the Wound Stripe.
Canadian Purple Heart
A Canadian Purple Heart.... I wonder whether the people lobbying have any real experience of what they are talking about. I would personally be glad to be still alive - no disrespect intended as I never saw any active service as a soldier, but I can recall the disdain held by British soldiers that I have met from WWII, Korea, Borneo, Oman, NI etc etc about the US Purple Heart and all the other medals they seem to get - wound medals were handed out for finger cuts and in no way reflected what a soldier may have gone through. I am not sure whether this a stoical British viewpoint, but I wouldn't feel that a medal for getting wounded was the right thing in the first place. Still being alive + a possible campaign decoration wold be enough. I always thought that wound stripes were a good way of showing what a soldier had been through.
All the "real" soldiers I have met (bless 'em, 'cos most of them have since passed away) thought it was hilarious and certainly wouldn't have worn this with as much pride as they did for hard won "real" medals.
I worked for 7 years with a USMC vet who saw combat in Korea & Vietnam and other places that he doesn't like talking about - and I don't dig)- he's getting on a bit, but still as as sharp as a razor - you all know the type - and even he has just had a good laugh at this. Quote "they used to hand these out like candy" - his words not mine. Even non-combatative guys in his unit used to get them.

Apologies for the rant, I've seen some lovely pictures of badges today which are absolutely fantastic and then the mood got spoiled by me getting a picture of an incredible officers CBP and its not mine...
david
Old 13-08-08, 03:47 PM

The Daily Mirror in the UK is also running a similar campaign for our soldiers and they seem to be getting alot of high profile backers.
My own personal view is - Yes I do think they should be recognized more, most are maimed for life and along with suitable compensation I support it.
No one seems to care anymore about these brave men and women - certainly not like they used too, and if the recognition for their sacrifice is in the form of a special medal, I think that's perfectly fitting.
STM.
Old 13-08-08, 06:47 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

I'm for the wound stripe, the only thing wrong with that is when you shed the uniform you have nothing to show. But a medal for being wounded ,something sounds wrong with that, a wound is not something you try for, you get it as a result of your occupation. Hell its even hard to put into words. Just goes to show it needs looking into. Ray
Old 04-11-08, 03:19 PM

Maybe you saw this already, but nobody posted it on this thread...

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhr-ddhr/...p?cat=3&ref=SM

The Sacrifice Medal (SM)

Hi-Rez pic @ http://www.gg.ca/images/sacrifice_lg.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sacrifice_lg.jpg (73.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-11-08, 03:24 PM

how about rather than a medal or stripe something like , canada, a maple leaf of a certain colour i.e.bronze or silver (if not already in use )to be attatched to the ribbon of service medal,or in the u.k perhaps something like the oak leaf in a different colour or worn the opposite way to the despatches leaf,or maybe just a rose? ian
Old 05-11-08, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Too late. The medal is already being issued. And there is already some controversy. A couple of traffic injuries were denied the medal. IIRC, they were on operations when the accident happened, but it was not within the strict parameters of the entitlement.
Old 05-11-08, 06:06 PM

Here's is my two cents. Here is the the US Army regulation for the Purple Heart Medal. Look at paragraph 4 and 5. Interesting.
Jo
http://www.americal.org/awards/ph.htm

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 02-01-09, 04:20 AM

It is interesting how some veterans claim the PH is given out like water and yet I know two veterans of WWII who never recieved an award though I think any rational person would think they certainly deserved it.
Lt. Gordon Wood pilot of a C-46 Commando while dropping two sticks of paratroopers from the 17th AB Division during Operation VARSITY was injured by shrapnel when his aircraft was hit by two FLAK rounds. One destroyed the port engine and the other struck the fuselage and destroyed the hydraulic systems. The piece of shrapnel in question flew the length of the cargo bay and struck the back of his seat. It did not penetrate the armor completely but it did break a rib and left Gordon with a bruise that stretched from his neck to his rearend. He was not able to sit down for over a month. The second individual I know of is the father of a good friend of mine. He was an infantryman on Bougainville fighting against the Japanese and lost his thumb to a grenade fragment. For some inexplicable reason he has never recieved a PH for that wound.
Certainly there were a few politically motivated PH's awarded during the VN war but I think they were the exception and not the rule.
Now if you want to talk about the award of the Bronze Star I think you have a very valid point.

As far as the initial question goes I am a Wound Stripe supporter...and I am a yank!

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
A Canadian Purple Heart.... I wonder whether the people lobbying have any real experience of what they are talking about. I would personally be glad to be still alive - no disrespect intended as I never saw any active service as a soldier, but I can recall the disdain held by British soldiers that I have met from WWII, Korea, Borneo, Oman, NI etc etc about the US Purple Heart and all the other medals they seem to get - wound medals were handed out for finger cuts and in no way reflected what a soldier may have gone through. I am not sure whether this a stoical British viewpoint, but I wouldn't feel that a medal for getting wounded was the right thing in the first place. Still being alive + a possible campaign decoration wold be enough. I always thought that wound stripes were a good way of showing what a soldier had been through.
All the "real" soldiers I have met (bless 'em, 'cos most of them have since passed away) thought it was hilarious and certainly wouldn't have worn this with as much pride as they did for hard won "real" medals.
I worked for 7 years with a USMC vet who saw combat in Korea & Vietnam and other places that he doesn't like talking about - and I don't dig)- he's getting on a bit, but still as as sharp as a razor - you all know the type - and even he has just had a good laugh at this. Quote "they used to hand these out like candy" - his words not mine. Even non-combatative guys in his unit used to get them.

Apologies for the rant, I've seen some lovely pictures of badges today which are absolutely fantastic and then the mood got spoiled by me getting a picture of an incredible officers CBP and its not mine...
david
Old 02-01-09, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle tree maker View Post
The Daily Mirror in the UK is also running a similar campaign for our soldiers and they seem to be getting alot of high profile backers.
My own personal view is - Yes I do think they should be recognized more, most are maimed for life and along with suitable compensation I support it.
No one seems to care anymore about these brave men and women - certainly not like they used too, and if the recognition for their sacrifice is in the form of a special medal, I think that's perfectly fitting.
STM.
STM, i could not agree with you more. Having spoken with a current serving officer recently back from Iraq they are treated very badly on their return from a long tour away from home constantly on edge. On duty during the day, woken by `incoming` missiles on an evening they get very little sleep. The thanks they get when they have served queen and country? Not allowed to wear their uniform walking through the aiport incase it upsets some people!!!! WHAT! If the the uniform is good enough to risk life and limb in on behalf of the nation it must be worn also in civvy street to remind those at home of what others are prepared to do on the nations behalf! These guys need to be recognised regardless of whether injured or not. If they have been injured whilst on duty, they need to be recognised even more! I think the question is not whether an award should be made but what form the award should be made.
I think a seperate medal for a wound may not be the most appropriate. Similarly with wound stripes. I am not a medal expert but are not campaign medals issued with far fewer strings and conditions today? Would it not be worth considering something similar to the old `mentioned in dispatches` type medal ribbon fitting?
Cheers, Dave
Old 02-01-09, 06:45 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Canadian Purple Heart

I think following your southern neighbours "purple heart" would go against the traditions of Canada & GB's regiments. A wound stripe for uniform and a "Silver Wound Badge" in civvies to be worn with a medal group would be sufficient. As much as I admire and respect the lads and ladies that have paid a price for their service I do feel that service uniform modestly indicating this gives a higher respect.

I see some allied countries with masses of medals on their chest and when questioned they will be for a shooting award or "flying over a conflict zone"..... somehow this then makes their "immpressive" chest of ribbons look rediculous.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 20-01-18, 03:58 AM

Default Wounnd badge

Some more recent background material on the subject.

19.03.2007. At the 332nd Meeting of the Army Dress Committee it was noted that the practice of awarding wound stripes had existed between 1916 and 1922, and was briefly re-introduced during 1944. Concern was expressed that this practice did not fit with British military tradition, and it was acknowledged that there would be difficulties in devising an up to date criteria for their award in the modern army. It was agreed to seek the wider views of the Army before any decision was taken.

23.07.2007. At the 333rd Meeting of the ADC it was recorded that the matter of wound stripes had been referred to the Army Honours and Distinctions Committee. They had recommended that wound stripes should not be readopted. It was decided (D4144) that the adoption of wound stripes would be rejected.

Stephen.

Tags
wound medal, wound stripe