British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-05-22, 08:51 PM

Default Strange Middlesex badge

I have had this badge for some long time, a Middlesex other ranks badge with a bronze finish, it has always struck me as strange, any ideas?

Thanks for looking

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040099.jpg (45.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg P1040100.jpg (46.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 08-05-22, 11:13 PM

I am not convinced that it is bronzed, but an all GM economy. I have had several badges over the years that have had a patina exactly like this. Note the slider is not uniform in color and has a gradation in patination, as does the front , which shows brighter areas around the coronet and cipher. I have no explanation as to what causes such a patination to form.

CB
Old 09-05-22, 06:49 AM

Default Strange Middlesex badge

Thanks CB, I will investigate further.

Rob
Old 09-05-22, 08:28 AM

It may have been left out in good soil or even a shed giving that bronzed appearance rather than getting eaten pitted by acidic soil, a lot of pictures can't show what the badges really look like in the hand.
Old 09-05-22, 09:05 AM

I've got a Buffs badge with the same colouration. It appears to be a brass badge that has had a bronze 'wash' finish applied to it. Probably a cheaper way of providing an OSD badge than actually making one out of bronze.
Regards,
Leo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5390.jpg (52.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5391.jpg (55.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-05-22, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo1815 View Post
I've got a Buffs badge with the same colouration. It appears to be a brass badge that has had a bronze 'wash' finish applied to it. Probably a cheaper way of providing an OSD badge than actually making one out of bronze.
Regards,
Leo
Leo,

This appears to be a theatre-made/cast OSD badge, as opposed to Rob's factory-made example.

Regards,

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 09-05-22 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-05-22, 10:05 AM

I think the buffs is just a cheaper/budget made badge rather than a quality one from firmin/Guant etc as the front reasonably looks good
Old 09-05-22, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I think the buffs is just a cheaper/budget made badge rather than a quality one from firmin/Guant etc as the front reasonably looks good
'Budget-made' but still factory-produced, do you mean, Andy?
Old 09-05-22, 10:26 AM

Yes but may not have Been a factory as such perhaps a workshop, certain outfitters supplied cheap kit as far as I can see from adverts and others descriptions are of best quality.
Old 09-05-22, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Yes but may not have Been a factory as such perhaps a workshop, certain outfitters supplied cheap kit as far as I can see from adverts and others descriptions are of best quality.
Looks as though this particular badge was intended as an OSD; were budget badges (sounds like a naff dealer's website) produced for that market, Andy?
Old 09-05-22, 12:13 PM

JT/Andy, I have always been a bit wary of this badge as it is obviously not the same quality as my other 'pukka' bronze OSD Buffs badge, but it still has a nice weight to it if that means anything at all. The tangs are fairly flimsy, which is why one has obviously broken off. I was wondering if this was just a post WW2 badge made to a (cheap) budget as everything was rationed in Britain for years after the war, and maybe this also applied to certain regimental cap badges, possibly Territorials? Just a theory.
Regards,
Leo
Old 09-05-22, 03:05 PM

I think the Buffs badge is just a genuine OSD. One must remember that officer badges were purchased from and made by many small firms that did not make OR badges under contract by the WD. I am of course referring to the WW2 period and prior as I do not not collect after that. I don't know how this is in modern times.
There is this old thread, although I still think the Middlesex is a GM.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=73655

CB
Old 09-05-22, 04:10 PM

CB, thanks for the link. I'll still include it in my proposed Buffs display, as the weight of the badge alone gives me a certain degree of confidence that it's genuine, although I've never come across another one like it.
Regards,
Leo
Old 21-05-22, 03:36 PM

I don’t think officers’ badges were produced with sliders if the manufacturer was following the specifications. They should have either, loops with a cotter pin, or blades. I seem to recall that has been quoted in some detail in past threads. Possibly by Peter Brydon, but I’m not positive. Were not the ‘simplified’, one metal badges produced during WW1 specified to be made from an alloy containing slightly more zinc so as to follow the instruction that when badges were not cleaned they would naturally darken and become more subdued?
Old 22-05-22, 01:47 PM

Toby, I think that Peter Brydon (?) was referring to the 1939 Lpl Irish officers' cabeen badge. The first ones were in solid silver - with loops. The later products were almost universally with sliders (usually with a Gaunt stamp). I heard that officer's could choose fixings - including sliders!

See an array of these Lpl Irish badges (minus the HMS !) with only two or three with loops. The badge to the lacuna is a poor item but the one to the right of the lacuna is a unmarked silver, fretted and loops

I noted earlier that NCOs commissioned in the field that they immediately painted their badges with brown paint ! I'VE BEEN TOLD OFF FOR THIS......... (above)

I believe that Dress Regs were ignored when there was a war on....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 officers.jpg (36.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by KLR; 22-05-22 at 01:59 PM.