British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-13, 12:17 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default disappointed and disillusioned.

Good morning gentlemen,

After what happened yesterday, now deleted by the Moderator, I wish to make my feelings clear ! I hope the Moderator does not remove this post as well ?

I want to offer Ry my sincerest apologies, anyone who knows me is aware that I would never do anything untoward with the purpose of either cheating, fiddling or upsetting anyone intentionally.

Ry offered a badge for sale, Paul sent a PM, generally accepted as on offer, I saw that I had probably missed it and posted a tongue in cheek message to show my disappointment.

Andy saw my reaction and indicated the fact that he had one for sale, he did no more than Ry had done in the forum sales section, he advertised a badge for sale and in all innocence to boot, he is after all, a dealer and lives partially on his sales ?

I then placed a bid on Andy's badge, remember that I thought I had missed the badge being offered by Ry.

The reaction that followed was in my opinion, totally unnecessary, highlighted statements, a perfect example of the ' get Andy ' syndrome which has been seen before, even members who had been totally ridiculed earlier, S.T. saw fit to stick their oar in, consequently inciting a thread that was already full of bad feeling, perhaps ST should spend more time counting all the SHM'd badges he has floating around on his desk, the reason I might add, that he was the laughing stock of another post earlier in the week !!

I also think that the reaction could be likened to the ' school boy ' mentality, again bringing into play the ' let's get Andy ' posts.

Because of the reaction to Andy's post and against Andy personally, I am, this time, seriously closing my membership with the Forum, I am expecting a couple of badges in the next couple of days, including a RB Glengarry and once they are received, I will place everything I have apart from some badges given to me which will be returned to the donor, on Sell My Millitaria.

Again my apologies to Ry, I was under the impression that his badge had been sold to Paul and so was Andy, so because of the reaction and don't forget that I am 50% of the problem this time, you would be having a go at me as well, it has turned out to be the last straw, it has helped me make my mind up once and for all and I will be doing a Peter J.

I have said to several people on several occasions that I would back Andy to the hilt, he is not only a top man but a good friend, he only knows one way of communicating and that is straight and to the point.

I will be re-directing any PM's to my spam box so all I can say is enjoy your hobby, I used to but although I may not be in the same boat as ' yorkie ' I do have enough problems to worry about without being sucked into inane arguments on this Forum, I am better off without them.

Dave.
Old 13-11-13, 12:24 PM

Hi Dave, sorry to see your closing your membership. Could you message me your email address as I would like to keep in touch.

Many regards

Simon.
Old 13-11-13, 12:40 PM

Dave,

What happened was not your fault, stop blaming yourself.

It seems to me to be a misunderstanding, followed by some heat of the moment comments followed by some comments designed to wind others up.

I know its easy to get a bit peeved when things like this happen but at the end of the day, its just an internet forum where the good, bad, honest, dishonest, the ignorant and the indifferent can all be in the same place at the same time.

I too have been less than happy with what happens on the forum but feel its not worth taking that seriously when some things are said. We all (occasionally) have something to offer and for this reason, I have kept in the shadows only saying something when I feel I have something worth saying and not paying any attention to any crap that's spouted. Maybe that's a way forward Dave?

As for everyone else, (as I said in the thread that was heavily edited/censored including my own comments), can we please calm down and stick to badges?

Ivan
Old 13-11-13, 01:02 PM

Its not worth it Dave! Don't jump mate! You know you are highly thought of-there will always be the odd one or two using the forum who are just not worth bothering about. I did not see the thread -but as I have slightly bit at remarks by ST in the past I can imagine how you feel. Take care mate. Regards, Paul.
Old 13-11-13, 01:28 PM

Dave I am sorry to hear of this turn of events. Did not see the thread involved but please reconsider your decision. While I do not know you or really any members personally, this is a good place. Whatever the row was will pass like everything else. The faceless way we communicate today makes things seem more intense than they would if we were all dealing with one another face to face. It is still a hobby and meant to be enjoyable and I am sure this feeling will come back to you.

Best
Jack
Old 13-11-13, 06:43 PM
Banned

Dave,

I never saw any of the posts after my last comment in the thread so I don't know what else was said so can't comment on it.

I was very annoyed that Andy saw fit to hijack my sale thread which was why I posted as I did and opened an ignore list.

At no time did I consider that either you or Paul (Coldstream) did anything to upset me and there was certainly no bad feeling towards either of you from this direction.

I accept your loyalty to Andy, you are a good friend and have been to me too so it is a great shame that we seem to have fallen out over this matter and you have pulled the plug on your membership.

If you are serious, which I gather you are, I feel it only fair all things considered for me to withdraw from active participation on the forum as well and will do so as soon as I made this post.

There you go Andy, two scalps for the price of a RB Glengarry, well done, all yours!

ENDEX

Ry
Old 13-11-13, 07:21 PM

Seems a shame to see members are leaving the forum all because
of a misunderstanding as others have said this is a great place to
be to learn about and enjoy badge collecting
how about a few days away from the forum and see how you
feel then ?
you may want to stay after all
Old 13-11-13, 07:23 PM

I was lucky enough to miss the thread discussed here. Sadly it seems the forum has lost two highly knowledgeable and respected contributors over it and that is such a shame.

People have spats and fall outs and spout downright bile on lots of forums I frequent, however this seems to be one of the only forums where members leave over them on a regular basis. Are we insignia collectors just too passionate or just easily upset? Either way it is a sad day for the forum.

I've enjoyed your posts lads and for one, sincerely hope you'll both reconsider and come back once the tempers have cooled and the dust has settled.

So nice to have 'known' you both. Regards Mike
Old 13-11-13, 07:45 PM

A sad day for the forum in my opinion when two members leave over a misunderstanding. I read the thread before it was cleaned up and it really seemed that when the item was thought to be sold and another member (Andy) responded to the exclamation of Dave and mentioned that he had an example of the same badge for sale. It could be argued that Andy was trying to help out, and without pissing anyone off that was the way I saw it, rather than hijack the sales thread, but I don't know the history here so maybe there was more to it than meets the eye, but it does seem a shame for two members who did not have a issue with each other to leave over this.

Maybe a bit of time chilling out and things will look different to all concerned, or at least I hope so.

Jerry
Old 13-11-13, 07:57 PM

I, too, missed the thread in question, so can't comment on the content.
But I'd like to echo the sentiments above. I think it's a great loss to the forum to see Ry and Andy leave.
Over the course of my membership on the forum I've learnt from them both. I've had a lot of help from Ry especially, and enjoyed some great and productive communication, on badges and otherwise. This saddens me. I only hope they both reconsider. The forum benfits from the collective input of all it's members. Losing two knowledgable and generous contributors is not good.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 13-11-13, 08:35 PM
Former Member

Guys,
It may be a disappointment to some, but I am not going anywhere, it really does sadden me to see Dave leaving and I will not give up on my attempts to persuade him to say, even if it takes a considerable effort he is worth it!

I reiterate that I though the badge Ry posted had been sold and as a coincidence I had one listed elsewhere so I posted a link! Dave subsequently bought it and then followed some totally unwarranted responses!

I do not claim to be a saint and have myself posted a few near the knuckle remarks! But the outburst that followed a simple misunderstanding was totally unexpected! Unfortunately due to the content it is now subject to legal advice so could members please refrain from making further comment!

Do please urge Dave to stay, but please do not inflame what is a delicate situation!

I will also be taking some time out, but will not be leaving!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 13-11-13 at 08:47 PM.
Old 13-11-13, 10:54 PM

Dave,
your opinions are respected stay with us pall.

Stephen
Old 14-11-13, 01:43 AM

My friends on this thread, you are all valuable members of this forum.

If you can see beyond misunderstandings and concentrate on advancing our knowledge of badges and ignore the baiting of internet trolls we shall be the better for you,

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

John
Old 14-11-13, 02:07 AM

I can't comment on the original thread since I did not have a chance to read it in its original form but I guess it is another one that the moderator has had to tidy up.

For a Forum such as this which should be promoting good fellowship and cameraderie among like minded collectors, and which it mostly appears to do very well, we do seem to have more than our share of members who are quick to spit their dummies or dump on each other.

Iman
Old 14-11-13, 08:47 AM

Dave I didn't see the thread but I do know that a couple of days cooling off always helps. Kick the dog, if you have one.

These things happen on every website and are really more to do with the impersonal nature of electronic communication than anything else. I'm sure nobody meant any harm.

Give it a couple of days then come back and have a good rant first to get it all off your chest before joining in again. I mean why should you lose your wee bit of enjoyment over something which was merely a misunderstanding?

Regards mate
Glyn