British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-11, 03:03 PM

Default Berets "Tankie Style"

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
The thing that sticks out for me when I see squaddies today is the way that berets are worn. Do dress regulations not now say that the beret should be worn squarely one and half inches above the eyebrows pulled down to the right and the cap badge over the left eye?

Dress regulations are alive and well and reside with the Royal Tank Regiment.

Troopers (not "Squaddies" (sic) ) of the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment in Maidstone, Kent yesterday on return from Afghanistan.

For all the "Old and Bold" who remember how it was in their day:

Fear Naught

Gordon

(Photograph courtesy of the Daily Telegraph)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2RTR Berets.jpg (75.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-09-11, 03:35 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL DUGGAN View Post
I can assure you lads that the soldier with the 'dreadlocks' is not a female.

A thought that struck me when I came across this bunch of soldiers was "are female private soldiers still called such titles as 'Riflemen','Kingsmen','Guardsmen' etc."

Perhaps "Gunneretta" or "Lance-Bombardinna" might be appropriate ranks of the future.

The mind doth.....
Bill,
I can assure you 99.99999% that your dreadlocked soldier is female. Male soldiers are still required to have their hair cut short, the only exception being for religous reasons.. She may well be a sikh, but would be wearing a turban? I think she's just well built and Phil the bulge might be that she's pleassed to see you? The only other exception would be a transgender soldier.. ????

Andy
Old 02-09-11, 04:25 PM

Smile

Andy,
You said standards had not dropped, they have changed.
If you now have transgender soldiers then they have certainly changed!
Eddie
Old 02-09-11, 04:44 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
Dress regulations are alive and well and reside with the Royal Tank Regiment.

Troopers (not "Squaddies" (sic) ) of the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment in Maidstone, Kent yesterday on return from Afghanistan.

For all the "Old and Bold" who remember how it was in their day:

Fear Naught

Gordon

(Photograph courtesy of the Daily Telegraph)
Hi folks,

I joined as a Junior Leader ( boy soldier ) in 1960, in fact, my first encounter with a dirty great big RSM was two weeks before my 15th birthday in May 1960 at Plummer ( Plumer ), I can't remember but it sounded like Plume-r Barracks, Plymouth and I nearly messed my pants !!!

As in your image Gordon, the shape of the Berets still varies and back in 1960, within 24 hours of being issued with ours, we were in the wash block with two sinks, in one, the water was as hot as we could get it, in the other, cold water, shrink and shape, who showed me ? my Regimental Sergeant.........

Despite my Regiment, my cap badge was to the Junior Leaders Regiment, A/A and was always worn directly over my left eye, so long ago now but in those days, standards, morals and respect etc, were very high.

Dave.
Old 02-09-11, 05:03 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Andy,
Eddie
Eddie,

the transgender comment was tongue in cheek however, it is the person and their ability and not what colour, race, sexual orientation or sex they are or were!

Although not gay myself, I have many gay friends, they are very good at what they do and are not all Dale Winton, Lilly Savage or camp as a row of tents!

Andy
Old 02-09-11, 05:17 PM

Rasterfarianism is a recognised religion, I do believe. Dreadlocks are part of their religion.

quote from rasta-man.com

''A physical feature that sets the Rastafarians apart from all other groups is the wearing of their hair in dreadlocks. "Dreadlocks were inspired by a biblical injunction against the cutting of one's hair"

Pleased to see me? I really hope not, lol

Phil
Old 02-09-11, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Andy,
Eddie
Eddie

I actually met a transgender soldier in the late 1990's - he/she was a REME WO2 who had passed P Company and served with Airborne Forces. In addition he/she was an accomplished decathlete. Just for the record, this was at Trenchard Lines and Upavon.

Paul L
Old 02-09-11, 05:25 PM
Former Member

Phil,
this is going too far away from Badges!!

Rastafarianism is not a religion but a religous movement (slight difference).

Males from this movement who join the bBritish Army must cut their hair short and refrain from othet practices such "Wacky backy"!

Andy

The Rastafari movement or Rasta is a new religious movement that arose in Jamaica, at the time a purely Christian culture, in the 1930s.[1][2] Its adherents worship Haile Selassie I, former Emperor of Ethiopia (1930–1974), as God incarnate, the Second Advent, or the reincarnation of Jesus. Members of the Rastafari movement are known as Rastas, or Rastafari. The movement is sometimes referred to as "Rastafarianism," but this term is considered derogatory and offensive by some Rastas, who dislike being labelled as an "ism."[3]

The Rastafari movement encompasses themes such as the spiritual use of cannabis[4][5] and the rejection of western society, called Babylon (from the metaphorical Babylon of the Christian New Testament.) It proclaims Africa (also "Zion") as the original birthplace of mankind, and embraces various Afrocentric social and political aspirations,[4][6] such as the sociopolitical views and teachings of Jamaican publicist, organizer, and black nationalist Marcus Garvey (also often regarded as a prophet). Another theme is Royalty, with Rastas seeing themselves as African royalty and using honorifics such as Prince or King in order to give royalty to their names.

Rastafari is not a highly organized religion; it is a movement and an ideology. Many Rastas say that it is not a "religion" at all, but a "Way of Life."[7] Many Rastas do not claim any sect or denomination, and thus encourage one another to find faith and inspiration within themselves, although some do identify strongly with one of the "mansions of Rastafari" — the three most prominent of these being the Nyahbinghi, the Bobo Ashanti and the Twelve Tribes of Israel.

The name Rastafari is taken from Ras Tafari, the pre-regnal title of Haile Selassie I, composed of Amharic Ras (literally "Head," an Ethiopian title equivalent to Duke), and Haile Selassie's pre-regnal given name, Tafari. Rastafari are generally distinguished for asserting the doctrine that Haile Selassie I, the former and final Emperor of Ethiopia, is another incarnation of the Christian God, called Jah.[8] Most see Haile Selassie I as Jah or Jah Rastafari, who is the second coming of Jesus Christ onto the Earth, but to others he is simply God's chosen king on earth.

Today, awareness of the Rastafari movement has spread throughout much of the world, largely through interest generated by reggae music, a notable exponent of which was Jamaican singer/songwriter Bob Marley (1945–1981). By 1997, there were around one million Rastafari faithful worldwide.[9] In the 2001 Jamaican census, 24,020 individuals (less than 1 percent of the population) identified themselves as Rastafarians.[10] Other sources have estimated that, in the 2000s, they formed, "About 5 percent of the population," of Jamaica,[11] or have conjectured that "there are perhaps as many as 100,000 Rastafarians in Jamaica".[12]
Old 02-09-11, 05:28 PM

Then in that case, I really dont want to meet her!! especially if she is pleased to see me!!!

The blonde girl is good looking though.

Phil
Old 02-09-11, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi folks,

I joined as a Junior Leader ( boy soldier ) in 1960, in fact, my first encounter with a dirty great big RSM was two weeks before my 15th birthday in May 1960 at Plummer ( Plumer ), I can't remember but it sounded like Plume-r Barracks, Plymouth and I nearly messed my pants !!!

As in your image Gordon, the shape of the Berets still varies and back in 1960, within 24 hours of being issued with ours, we were in the wash block with two sinks, in one, the water was as hot as we could get it, in the other, cold water, shrink and shape, who showed me ? my Regimental Sergeant.........

Despite my Regiment, my cap badge was to the Junior Leaders Regiment, A/A and was always worn directly over my left eye, so long ago now but in those days, standards, morals and respect etc, were very high.

Dave.
Hi Dave

Field Marshal Herbert Charles Onslow Plumer, 1st Viscount Plumer, GCB, GCMG, GCVO, GBE (13 March 1857 – 16 July 1932) was a British colonial official and soldier born in Torquay who commanded the British Second Army in World War I and later served as High Commissioner of the British Mandate for Palestine.

I am surprised you were allowed to pass off the square without knowing this!!

I used to pass the barracks on my way to school; long before you got there.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 02-09-11, 05:38 PM

As Bob Marley sang:

"No woman, no cry "

Which seems rather apt here.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-09-11, 05:41 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
As Bob Marley sang:

"No woman, no cry "

Which seems rather apt here.

P.B.
Peter,
you're a "Legend"... Hope you all have a nice weekend... I'm off to shape my beret! lol

Andy
Old 02-09-11, 06:16 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Gordon,

[ I am surprised you were allowed to pass off the square without knowing this!! ]

I can surprise many people but in this case, you have heard me state on several occasions that I am historically ignorant, and I was the same back in 1960, we were told nothing in the first six weeks, apart from how to drill, of course

I never wanted to be in the army and but for an overbearing and an absolute bully of a father, I would have joined the training ship Arethusa on the River Medway, and no, I don't know if I have spelt Arethusa correctly nor do I know the history behind that ship ??

Dave.
Old 02-09-11, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I can assure you all that although being in my fourth decade of service, standards have not "Dropped" they have "Changed".... the Ethos remains the same and many serving soldiers would be offended reading some of the above comments, even if some were made "tonge in cheek".. They are giving up life and limb so that you can moan on this Forum!

There are still "Bad Eggs" in all walks of life, we do recruit from society and just look at the state of that in some areas. Don't blame todays servicemen and women, blame the previous generations who have erroded the standards of respect which some of us had for our parents, elders and the police etc! Mind you I still have a problem with Old people, who moan and groan and rattle "Wasn't the same in my day"... wasn't it? (you probably cannot remember)

Andy
If anyone took offence from my post they need to lighten up a bit. I served so I speak as I found, whether meant to be humorous or not.

The things that kept us all going whether it was on ops or the parade ground was a sense of humour.

Words like Doris, sqauddie and whole plethora of other terms were all part and parcel of the life and never taken to heart.

As my troop Sgt used to say, "if it really makes your F**ny hurt that much your in the wrong place, if you don't like it, hand your mess tins in! That included "the F**kin Padre"

No denying that our forces do an excellent job under difficult circumstances in any way and they all have my respect.

Things such as colour, race and sexual preference were never really issues then and are rightly even less so now.

This discussion started over the image of what seemed to be a dodgy haircut, that has been discussed and resolved since and it seems and I am happy to hear, that standards although changed, in most cases are retained.

Regards to all.

Ry
Old 02-09-11, 11:04 PM

Hi Guys,

Without offending anyone but I need to know what the current non offensive term is for a British soldier. The term has to be one that they are affectionately known as as part of a group and not an official designation.

It used to be 'Squaddie' but this seems to have passed to one of derision. I don't know when or why this happened but I always knew it from the eight man squad and in the 1970's such a term was not an issue.

A few previous examples of such terms and their respective countries are given below:

'Tommy' - British soldier also up to WWII perhaps.
'Lanser' - the German equivalent
'Doughboy' - American WW1
'Poilu' - French WW1 possibly WWII too.

Royal Navy sailors were 'Matlots' (after the french I believe) or 'Jack Tarrs'.

My brother in law was a 'Bootneck' who was wounded in the Falklands whilst serving with the Royal Marines and still refers to himself as that albeit now out of service.

'Brit' used to be a derogatory term used by the IRA during 'the troubles' but this seems to have become acceptable when referring to UK citizens.

The best I can think of is 'Trooper' but somehow that still seems a bit formal.

If people don't want to post here please contact me via email or PM.

Regards

Chris