British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-12, 08:33 PM

Hi Brent

Thanks you for your fascinating information on the Manawatu head dress. I also enjoy your off the track commentaries.

Cheers

John
Old 20-12-12, 03:08 AM

Default Heretaunga Mounted Rifles

Hi Brent and Iain,
Let me congratulate you both on a very interesting thread.
Here are my Heretaunga Mounted Rifles badges. Note the collars, given to me by a daughter of the commanding officer of HMR. Sorry I do not know his name. I'm not sure about the lower button, probably a livery button, but may be connected somehow.
Merry Christmas and A Good New Year when it comes!
Cheers,
Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeretaungaMRgroup.jpg (57.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 20-12-12, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Brent and Iain,
Let me congratulate you both on a very interesting thread.
Here are my Heretaunga Mounted Rifles badges. Note the collars, given to me by a daughter of the commanding officer of HMR. Sorry I do not know his name. I'm not sure about the lower button, probably a livery button, but may be connected somehow.
Merry Christmas and A Good New Year when it comes!
Cheers,
Tinto
Nice to see these Tinto, I am gathering information on the Wellington Mounted, I will add your picture to my database.

The collar badges would have belonged to Lieutenant Colonel D. Pringle.
Old 20-12-12, 07:22 PM

Thanks for Lt.Col. Pringle's name, Brent. Would be good to find a picture of him in uniform.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 21-12-12, 06:38 AM

Sorry Tinto, I posted the wrong name.
Captain Samuels is the Heretaunga CO that I was thinking is most likely to have worn your collar badges, Samuels took over command of the HMR from Captain R. Levin in November 1905.

Lt Col Pringle was of course the CO of the Manawatu Mounted Rifles.
Old 22-12-12, 07:57 PM

Here is a selection of New Zealand puggarees from the Aaron Fox collection(I Davidson, photographs)

(1) WW1 Infantry
(2) WW2 Infantry
(3) WW2 NZ Mounted Rifles
(4) WW2 era NZ Field Artillery
(5) WW2 era NZ Veterinary Corps
(6) NZ Signals (4th pattern) 1939
(7) NZ Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (second patern)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puggarrees 002_crop.jpg (32.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg puggarrees 004_crop.jpg (35.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg puggarrees 006_crop.jpg (30.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg puggarrees 008_crop.jpg (29.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg puggarrees 010_crop.jpg (34.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg puggarrees 012_crop.jpg (30.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg puggarrees 014_crop.jpg (32.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 23-12-12, 10:09 PM

The following photo is undated, it shows members of the Manawatu Mounted Rifles wearing khaki uniforms. The MMR badge can be seen on the breast plates of all the horses.

The following photo is dated 21st September 1900, it shows four NZ recipients of Jubilee swords of honour.
The chap 2nd from the right is Lieutenant D. Pringle of the Manawatu Mounted Rifles.

This interesting photo is dated 27th October1899, it shows a group of NZ NCOs from 9 different Mounted Rifle regiments, except for the chap in white (Sergeant Bould) who is a member of the Wellington Guards.
The chap 4th from the left in the back row (Sergeant Watts) and the chap 6th from the left in the back row (Sergeant Horne) are both members of the Heretaunga Mounted Rifles.

Old 23-12-12, 10:11 PM

The following two pictures show a rare dark green tunic in my collection made by Halenstine Brothers (NZ Clothing Factory) which was typically worn by some of the NZ Mounted Rifle regiments.
The first picture shows the tunic with an Auckland Mounted Rifles forage cap.

This picture shows the tunic with an Imperial pattern blue cloth field service cap (Worn by both Infantry and Mounted Rifles)

Old 29-12-12, 05:27 AM

Guys,
Just to follow up on Brent's fantastic photo of the Manawatu Mounted Rifles on horse - a breast plate to the MMR.
Best Regards
James.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00040.jpg (18.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00041.jpg (18.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 23-02-13, 08:44 AM

Here is a WW1, 4th Battalion NZRB ,other ranks tunic worn by Rifleman Robert Robinson,service number 58810

Robinson was a miner, who's last adddress was Freashford ,Southland,but who's next of kin were from Berwick ,Otago.When he enlisted he was 30 years ,5 months and stood 5 foot 11 1/2 inches and weighed 154lbs.

He was wounded in action 17th of July 1917 in Rosignal Wood.He suffered from compound fractures of the right leg suffered from a ''gun shot wound''.His leg didn't heal properly and was amputated on the 2nd of April 1919.

Now the tunic itself is a 1918 ,British (In fact Glasgow) made coming home tunic.It has the NZRB collar badges,left and right facing,a 4th Battaltion black patch ,and three overseas service chevrons on the right sleeve,and British type Rifle brigade ''Black horn'' buttons as worn by NZers

(Hokonui Heritage Museum,Gore,N.Z)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gore museum 058_crop.jpg (52.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Gore museum 057_crop.jpg (64.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Gore museum 042.jpg (49.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Gore museum 065_crop.jpg (99.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Gore museum 059_crop.jpg (63.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by pukman; 23-02-13 at 07:15 PM.
Old 23-02-13, 07:37 PM

This one will confound the hell out the the self appointed uniform experts out there.But to be fair the item has been donated by an anonymous family to the museum,so therefore hasn't been in a collectors grubby little hands .

What we have here is WW1 era ,Officers Service Dress Jacket .It has 14th South Otago collar badges,4 overseas service chevrons on right sleeve,and on the cuff ,signifies the rank of a Second Lieutenant.More importantly on the back is a 47mm x 47mm(approx) black patch with a grey circle on it.This patch signifies the wearer was in No 2 New Zealand Light Trench Mortar battery.This patch when have to be a rarity in itself.

With all the variables ,and a liitle digging i am sure the wearer of this jacket can be identified .(1)He has probably risen from the ranks to be a junior officer,(2) was attested in 1915(3) A Second lieutenant in a small unit,i.e No 2 LTM battery.(4) also served in the 14th South Otago Infantry.(5) Has affilitation with the Gore area.

Now if any one out there has a list of NZ Trench Mortar officers or can point out where to find this information,it will set me well on the way to findings this individual

Cheers Iain

(Hokonui Heritage Museum,Gore ,NZ)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gore museum 050.jpg (30.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Gore museum 052.jpg (33.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Gore museum 054.jpg (27.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Gore museum 040.jpg (52.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by pukman; 24-02-13 at 05:12 PM.
Old 23-02-13, 09:49 PM

Hi Iain,
Very interesting uniforms you have shown. I think the Gore Museum is one of the best in the country. Great exhibitions for the size of the city.
I have the book, "With the Trench Mortars in France" by Capt. W E L Napier, MC, but there is no such list of officers there. Some pictures however, including commanding officers of the Batteries.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 24-02-13, 03:30 AM

Thanks Tinto,

I see the NZ Trench Mortar history is now online,and I have had a look ,but I have not been able to identify the man through that.More hard yards to be done I'm afraid,but there is enough variables to make this one traceable.

regards Iain
Old 26-03-13, 07:22 AM

Here's another one you won't see ever day of the week. A 1941 English made (Denham and Hargrave,Atherstone) ,WW2 2nd NZEF Lemon squeezer.It has a NZASC puggaree (NEW ZEALAND ARMY SERVICE CORP) and an unofficial patch,in service Arm of service colours ,Red over Green.This is the only non -infantry 2NZEF (IP) patch.These hats were worn by members of the 2NZEF in the Pacific theatre ,3rd division
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (48.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 002 (2)_crop.jpg (38.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 14-04-13, 02:23 AM

A WW1 officers type two cuff rank tunic, badged to a 4th Otago regiment ,cuff rank indicating Lieutenant,bronze flat backed officer badge .An Overseas chevron post September 1918 ,signifying 3 years overseas service ,and a 2nd Otago Regiment patch on the back of the tunic ,between the shoulder blades

As an aside Phil Beattie from Auckland is started a initiative of publishing all of the photo portraits of the 1st NZEF (1914-1918).His first volume contains over 4000 servicemen/women .If you think you can contribute ,contact him at www.fairdinkumbooks.com. ,or PM myself .Any Southlanders out there. A group of loyal lads that happily roll there RRRR's are starting a website ''Kia Mate Toa '' ,the 8th Southland companies involvements at Gallipoli .Llikewise if you have any thing to contribute contact me .,launch ANZAC day 2013

Cheers Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 204.jpg (44.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 207.jpg (48.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 209.jpg (51.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 211.jpg (43.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by pukman; 14-04-13 at 06:45 PM.