British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

View Poll Results: Should "right click" be disabled on the forum to reduce image copying?
yes 21 32.81%
no 43 67.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-08, 08:41 AM

Luc, this wouldn't also be the same Pakistan based guy who uses photo from other well known source books as "Images of his items" would it?

Tom
Old 05-09-08, 10:08 AM

This is him Tom:

http://www.replicaters.com/

You will see he has stolen many images from popular collectors guides and private collections.
Old 05-09-08, 01:34 PM

Thought it was.....................................

So:

Mr Sanjay Suri/Anju Suri
Ujna Universal
113/41, Swaroop Nagar
Kanpur - 208002
India.

Please stop, it's not a nice thing to do......

Tom
Old 05-09-08, 02:44 PM
Banned

WITH ALL THE LIFTED PICS one would wonder why he would post the copywrite warning on his page . Is this what they call an oximoron or just a moron
Old 05-09-08, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbear View Post
WITH ALL THE LIFTED PICS one would wonder why he would post the copywrite warning on his page . Is this what they call an oximoron or just a moron
I would suggest the latter.......

Tom
Old 06-09-08, 09:21 AM
Badge Guru

Quote:
I know of someone else like this and I prefer to call them a liar, cheat and thief who clearly understands what they are doing is wrong otherwise they wouldnt be copyrighting the material they have stolen.

If anyone here collects medals you might of heard of a researcher called Kevin Asplin. Someone ripped off the QSA cavalry roll from his web site burnt it to CD then started charging a fiver a go............and the daft thing is people have actually bought it!

Another case I know of is some one whjo takes privately published material on the Royal Air Force republishes it then puts his own name on the cover of the book with no reference to the original author.

Making a living out of other peoples written or photographic material with out their permission raises many moral and ethical issues. Why dont these people get a proper job instead of ripping off other peoples hard obtained research?

Another motivation is to gain credibility from veterans and members of public who are not necessarily familiar with all the research that has been done on the topic. So you see the reason for stealing isnt always for financial gain.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 06-09-08 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Another motivation is to gain credibility from veterans and members of public who are not necessarily familiar with all the research that has been done on the topic. So you see the reason for stealing isnt always for financial gain.
But in the long run, are these sorts going to get some financial reward? Do you mean they 'acquire'
information which they give out, just for a pat on the back and a moment of fame but no money?
Old 06-09-08, 11:36 AM
Badge Guru

Quote:
But in the long run, are these sorts going to get some financial reward? Do you mean they 'acquire' information which they give out, just for a pat on the back and a moment of fame but no money?
Actually the financial rewards can be greater than publishing the materials now I think about it. Your published material on the internet can and will open doors for people who contact veterans and the families claiming your material as their own. This gives them a certain amount of credibility with veterans. You'd be surprised at how gullable some of these people can be when it comes to eventual disposal of militaria if you get my drift.

This is the primary reason why I have decided to never show a single WW2 photograph on the internet.

Anyway, we are now moving off topic so I'll leave this thread alone but I hope Ive proven to people here of how your online research and resources can be used by others and why marking your resources as your own is so important if you decide to publish them online.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 06-09-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-10-08, 09:13 PM

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread, its given me another insight into this issue I have seen discussed many times on many forums in the last 9 years, which is about how long I have been "online".
The 1 thing that does not seem to have been dropped into the equation is that, well, simply put, this isn't the 'only' site in the world with lots of badges on it, is it. What someone can't get from here they'll get elsewhere, or from a museum website or somewhere, indeed anywhere that a Google search might direct.
I think its possibly a good idea to prevent exactly the kind of misrepresentative selling that is basically the underlying issue. However, I just don't think it will stop. There is far too many different sites and forums out there to help these people, unsuspectingly aiding them I should say. You'll never get every single forum owner to agree that every single photo had to be watermarked, it just won't happen. Its part of human nature. Heck I once tried to get a bunch of forum guys to have an in person get together at a show and no one could agree on which show and when, so what chance have we doing that on 1 issue across all continents.
I submit this and many other forums can do and indeed are doing a GREAT job of educating people into what is good and not-so-good when searching for what to buy. That's the key thing, and the easiest to do, in a positive way on this forum. Educated and informed buyers will buy decent badges and be happy and positive about collecting. Of course we can't all hope to assimilate that knowlege without others sharing what they know, and also being receptive to new evidence as we all constantly learn more and more.
Best Wishes;
Matt
Old 21-10-08, 02:02 PM

Default restrikes and rewards

Hi all. Just a quick line to add my "tuppence-worth" to this thread (a bit late I know !) :
Re "kingsman" and his 47th Foot glengarry repro (posting #4 dated 30/8/08): I am sorry if he has been dissolussioned by this experience, but I think he should be warned that, in all my years of experience on this subject, I have to say that, off the top of my head, I cannot think of any PT glengarry badge that has not been repro'ed...so beware. The advice to look out for given to me by the late Hugh King was ; (a)the quality of the striking, and (b) brass lugs N-S on nearly all. (certainly the crowned garter and stringed bugle variants)
As for the financial rewards discussed later in this thread : Two years ago I had a book published by DP&G Doncaster viz : "A collector's guide to Infantry Glengarry Badges 1851 to 1881" the result of forty years of study and research on my part. It sold about 40 copies at £30.00 each plus P&P of which I get £4 per sale, so that makes a grand total of £160 so far ! I'm not complaining, just attempting to put into perspective the "huge financial rewards" one can expect from such an enterprise. And by the way I didn't "filch" any of the 290 photos I used ! Regards to all Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 22-10-08 at 09:49 AM. Reason: clarification