British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-16, 03:27 PM

Default Wrong facing 1st Household Cavalry Siren?

One of the BD blouses in my collection is badged to a Trooper of the 1st Household Cavalry Regiment, with regulation Life Guards arc titles and the "Warsaw Maid" sign awarded to 1st HCR by general Wladyslaw Anders, commander of the 2nd Polish Corps, as a sign of gratitude for the support given to the Poles during the fightings on the Adriatic Front in 1944. The only rally odd feature of the BD is that the Siren is facing left! As long as I know, the 2nd Polish Corps insignia was produced only facing right, so I am wondering wether the not too aware Trooper Hall stitched inside out, or should there ever have been badges produced for the needs of those British formations, such as 1st HCR or 7th Queen's Own Hussars. What's your opinion, gentlemen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD_1st_Household_Cavalry_Rgt_Syren.jpg (118.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-04-16, 04:14 PM

I think you are correct - we are looking at the reverse of the sign. Such things happen - a whole RA Bty in 6 Bde in Germany c 1962 managed to apply all their vehicles' formation signs upside down - proudly displaying crossed bayonet and key - and the numeral 9 ! Mike
Old 09-04-16, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I think you are correct - we are looking at the reverse of the sign. Such things happen - a whole RA Bty in 6 Bde in Germany c 1962 managed to apply all their vehicles' formation signs upside down - proudly displaying crossed bayonet and key - and the numeral 9 ! Mike
that's fairly interesting, Mike! I guess no Household Cavalry Regiment titles or signs have ever been produced?
Old 09-04-16, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
that's fairly interesting, Mike! I guess no Household Cavalry Regiment titles or signs have ever been produced?
I have two examples, one wire embroidered and one EonF, which came in the 1960s from the estate of an officer who served with 7H and later the QOH - both mermaids face to the left. The authority for the 7 H to wear the sign was 2 Polish Corps Order 117 dated 9 Oct 44. So post-War, many of these signs must have been made in the UK for the units granted this distinction. Mike
Old 09-04-16, 07:31 PM

Some examples of post WW2 Syrena in my Album http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1328

Tim
Old 13-04-16, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I have two examples, one wire embroidered and one EonF, which came in the 1960s from the estate of an officer who served with 7H and later the QOH - both mermaids face to the left. The authority for the 7 H to wear the sign was 2 Polish Corps Order 117 dated 9 Oct 44. So post-War, many of these signs must have been made in the UK for the units granted this distinction. Mike
Mike, do you happen to know the Order of Battle of Eighth Army in 1944 (there used to be a very useful site with the Order of Battle of the whole 15th Army Group on line but it looks like it were out of order, actually)? As long as I remember st Household Cavalry was the recce rgt for the 5th Army Corps, but was shifted yo another Army Corps in 1944, only I can't find out which and when.
Old 13-04-16, 05:30 PM

Hi, they received orders to join 5th Corps on the 1st May and came under command of 4th Indian div. as an independent force called Force D. In July they moved to 10th Corps. On the 7th Sept. they came under command of 9th Arm. Bde. They arrived in Naples on the 10th Oct. and embarked on HMT Monarch of Bermuda for England. This is from their history, hope this helps, Mike
Old 14-04-16, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi, they received orders to join 5th Corps on the 1st May and came under command of 4th Indian div. as an independent force called Force D. In July they moved to 10th Corps. On the 7th Sept. they came under command of 9th Arm. Bde. They arrived in Naples on the 10th Oct. and embarked on HMT Monarch of Bermuda for England. This is from their history, hope this helps, Mike
Thank you Mike!
Old 26-06-16, 09:14 AM

rightly facing Warsaw Mermaid...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6720.jpg (41.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 27-06-16, 08:16 AM

My first posting after trade training in 1959 was to the RHG and our ASM , WO1 (Pop) Howe , was the only man in the regiment that I remember wearing this badge.