British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-09, 11:05 AM
Former Member

Default Royal West Kent - WW1 Economy?

I know the feelings on some of the information in John Gaylor's "Military Badge Collecting" in particular his list of All-Brass Issue Badges (Appendix D). I am also fully aware of the feeling that it should only be those badges normally found in Bi metal that should be in an all brass "Economy" pattern. However RA & RE badges go against the wind in that respect!

I think Gaylor's is a fantastic "starter" book for those embarking onto the bumpy waters of the collecting voyage (IMO).

Back to the thread, he are a few images of a possible WW1 EI for the RWK. I've had it some years and it came as part of a very old collection I picked up (I know every seller says that, but this is not for sale and is true), It is very well made, has some age and like RA, RE & ASC EI's the economy is not on saving brass but on saving time by not punching bits out!

Another interesting feature is that the is a small "M" on the folded back part of the scroll, above the E & S of WEST. (not sure if it will show in the post, but it's definately there.) I have not seen one before and Gaylor must have got his info from somewhere. For me it is a possible WW1 RWK EI!

Thoughts please?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7575.jpg (55.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7576.jpg (52.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7577.jpg (57.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7578.jpg (57.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-06-09, 11:08 AM
Former Member

Default Royal West Kent - WW1 Economy?

I know the title of the post is wrong!!

Last edited by Bill A; 01-06-09 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Title of thread changed.
Old 01-06-09, 01:29 PM

Interesting badge, that little M isn't there in error.

I have a couple of brass RWK's which I've held onto despite the consensus they don't exist.

One is a planchet which has holed drilled for voiding out and you have to ask why? The only reason I can think of is maybe practice for an apprentice.

The other has a very long slider and came in a Marlows lot labelled as a pagri badge.

I really don't know.

EDIT. Just checked and neither have the little M

Last edited by Viletone; 01-06-09 at 03:06 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-06-09, 02:38 PM

One question for you andy.I have noticed (4th pic) just left to the W of "West", something that would/could be considered a die flaw???
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 01-06-09, 03:50 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
One question for you andy.I have noticed (4th pic) just left to the W of "West", something that would/could be considered a die flaw???
Jo
Jo,
that's just a smooth bit that has caught the light! I can e-mail you some High Res photos if you like?

Andy
Old 01-06-09, 04:08 PM

Default RW Kent WW1

I have a brass RWK cap badge with traces of nickel plating, also a Beds and Herts in brass, mystery items as you don't see them appearing online or at militaria fairs.
Old 01-06-09, 05:39 PM

Andy, I would appreciate it very much.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 01-06-09, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

What ever it is I am sure that it is not a WW1 economy badge in the sense of a true 'economy' badge as authorised by the ACD in 1916. It may be, as are the plated brass versions, many things but not an issue WW1 badge.

The mysterious 'm' is certainly an oddity.

Alan
Old 01-06-09, 07:24 PM
guest456

Default RWK economy

I am going out a limb here but does anyone else support the view that a WW1 economy all brass cap badge should have lugs rather than a slider ? I know there may be some exceptions but there are an aweful lot of fakes out there.
Old 01-06-09, 07:32 PM
Former Member

From the genuine WW1 EIs I have, I would say they are MORE likely to have sliders than lugs!
Old 01-06-09, 07:45 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Default Just a thought

How many manufacturers would have knocked out a batch of all brass badges and sent them off to whoever ordered them? War is a lucrative time for those in business and even in peace bits of kit can come out in different forms, wrongly coloured anodised badges, new types of fittings that break easily so the next batch are sent back. For a while some anodised R Sigs cap badges only had one lug on Jimmy, like the collars, they broke easily and we had better in the next batch. So, my point is that there may well be unofficial WWIEI badges that were made and never issued or a sharp note was sent back asking for the real thing/better quality.
Old 01-06-09, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
From the genuine WW1 EIs I have, I would say they are MORE likely to have sliders than lugs!
I would agree Andy, more EI badges were issued with sliders than lugs even taking into account the repro artiste. Easier to manufacture and therefore quicker with a slider.

Dave
Old 01-06-09, 08:48 PM
Former Member

Dave and All!,
still doing the ground work for my Reg Inf albums which will focus on the construction of the badges, I hope to include EIs in the albums (as I have quite a few). It is aimed at being of use to new collectors who can compare the varied constuction of Genuine Regular Infantry badges! (takes quite a bit of time to get the phots together). It's my second Forum project at present as I'm still working on the SWB album which is about 50% complete.

Andy
Old 01-06-09, 09:23 PM

Smile Sliders v Loops

Sliders take one brazing process, loops take two at a minimum, sliders saved labour.
Old 01-06-09, 09:37 PM
guest456

Default RWK WW1 economy

I am very interested in the dialogue developing on economy badges. Wasn't the 'economy' element supposed to be about the materials used (brass in WW1 and plastic in WW2) rather than the manufacturing process where any aspect of white metal was involved ? Wasn't 'white metal' a rarer commodity than brass/plastic ? Or have I got it wrong ?