British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-02-09, 11:44 PM
Former Member

Default Royal Welsh Fusiliers WW1 EI - Hot or Not - Quiz

Prompted by some internet interaction earlier this evening, both here and on the site some of you despise and I admire no end, is another quiz to whet your whistles!!! Two side by side Royal Welsh Fusiliers World War 1 economy issue badges this time, One (in my Opinion) is a copy, the other is a good un!

Which is which? Please do not ask to see the back, I will post a small album shortly to reveal my conclusions!!

Thanks again for your interest in the Guards Machine Gun Battalion Quiz, which got well over 400 views, a bit more interesting than some black and white photos of guys with wearing badges!! Mmmmm.......... enthralling!!!!!

Again this post is aimed at providing/offering up some knowledge whilst at the same time, trying to be interesting and informative to both crusties and newcomers!! Sorry but the picture was taken with a flash as it's dark my side of the Equator!!!!!!!!!!! Good Nite!

Enjoy! (I Hope)

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fun 029.jpg (76.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 26-02-09, 05:01 AM

although I'm no expert on these I'd be buying the one on the left( If the economy used the same die as the regular badge). there are alot of differences between the two size of font.... centering of welsh... rosette at the bottom to name a few... I'll wait and see what the experts think... Jim
Old 26-02-09, 06:39 AM

i wasn't a expert too

but i had buy the RWF eco below one year ago, and when i'll received it i think it is a copy.....

the left as mine is copy (same faethers)

I show the back face, I am more kind than andy (joke )

i put a (i hope genuine) WW1 "standart" one the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1484-K622-G11E.JPG (79.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg C1484-K622-G11E--.JPG (61.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg C1484-K622-G11..JPG (20.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg C1484-K622-G11.--.JPG (16.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by jeanpit-frenchy; 26-02-09 at 06:47 AM.
Old 26-02-09, 09:33 AM

Andy,
I can't quite make it out on your photo due to the angle, but if there is a flaw line running through the "ROYAL" on the lhs badge then it is a common copy.
Jean-Pit,
The same also applies to your left hand side example.
With regard to the two posted by Andy, there does appear to be a difference in font size between the two and the rhs badge appears to have a crimped pattern to the edge. I have examples of both types (without the flaw) and have yet to make up my mind.
It's something Bantam and I are looking into. I have now been granted access to the Regimental Records and it is one of the patterns that I intend to check out when I finally get the time.
Cofion,
Kevin
Old 26-02-09, 09:39 AM
Former Member

Kevin,
just poured my coffee and sat down to post RWF album, should be on in a short while, in my opinion the one on the left is the copy! More to follow!

Andy
Old 26-02-09, 10:10 AM
Former Member

The Answer (My Opinion)

The one on the left as viewed is the ringer (copy), my reasons being:

*The rear of the flames lack definition (compared to original badges)
*The flame pattern appears to be that found on the regular Bi metal badge, with four prominent short flames to the lower center, whereas an Original EI there are four longer flames which reach much higher up
*The flame tips, top center are fairly level on the copy whereas on the Original they raise to a point in the center
*The lettering is higher, fatter and much clearer on the original and as pointed out in an earlier post, there is a fault line through ROYAL on the copy.
*The original is more dome shaped in the center and the feathers are squatter and fill the circlet more evenly.
*The S in Welsh on the original badge sits top center, in line with the spine of the middle feather, on the copy the spine is level with the center of the S and H
*Lastly the device on the circlet at the very bottom of the badge is a good guide, on the original it appears to be four small diamonds set in a diamond pattern, whereas on the copy it looks more like a flower with a dot to the center.

The copy appears to have been modeled on a standard Bi metal badge and the original seems to be an unique design (My opinon)

Feedback as always is more than welcome, please see my album for some more RWF badges and another pattern Economy Badge!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fun 029.jpg (76.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Fun 030.jpg (67.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 26-02-09, 10:38 AM

Andy,
Lastly the device on the circlet at the very bottom of the badge is a good guide, on the original it appears to be four small diamonds set in a diamond pattern, whereas on the copy it looks more like a flower with a dot to the cente.
It should look like a flower as it represents the Minden Rose.
Here are a couple of mine. The RWF thread is also worth looking at.
Hwyl,
Kevin
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...8&d=1208013679

Last edited by 41st; 26-02-09 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Shortcut added
Old 26-02-09, 11:49 AM
Former Member

Kevin, thanks for the Photos, cannot find the thread?

My Album is now on, do you have any info on the NCO's?? Badge?

It'll be interesting to see what the Regimental Records reveal!

Andy
Old 26-02-09, 04:41 PM

Andy,
Here is the link to the thread.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=1100
With regard to the NCOs' variant I have two examples, one of which is the same as yours. However, like you I only have this evidence on hearsay at present and it is something else I am looking to confirm when I get at the RR.
Cofion,
Kevin
Old 27-02-09, 03:17 AM

Default Welsh Fusiliers Economy

Cheers Andy, very useful post. Based on the details you provided my badge looks like a good 'un!
Cymru am byth.
Leonard.
Old 27-02-09, 09:12 AM
Former Member

Leonard,

Not a problem, just my opinion, as you'll see from other threads & posts there are a few "Genuine" patterns of the Econ Issue badge. I have been informed that there was somewhere in the region of 80 Battalions of RWF during WW1, so that's a lot of badges!

"Come on the Welsh!"