British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-09, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Duchess View Post
I am very interested in the dialogue developing on economy badges. Wasn't the 'economy' element supposed to be about the materials used (brass in WW1 and plastic in WW2) rather than the manufacturing process where any aspect of white metal was involved ? Wasn't 'white metal' a rarer commodity than brass/plastic ? Or have I got it wrong ?
I once thought that the economy badges were to save the white metal for munitions. it seemed logical to me that if you fired a shell you kept the brass bit but fired the nickel missile to the enemy! Nieve? i will let you decide?? there has already been a thread on economy badges http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hlight=economy which is very intersting. Rather than saving nickel the economy badges were used to simplify construction allowing units to be produced more rapily! Certainly this was the case in WWI, i am not sure if the same applied in the second war.
Cheers, Dave

Last edited by Deejayuu; 02-06-09 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 09:54 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I was under the impression that saving labour times was as important, I know from experience that manufacturing eyelets/lugs, even if automated, would be a longer process than manufacturing sliders and of course, one joint and not two.

Dave.
Old 02-06-09, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Duchess View Post
I am going out a limb here but does anyone else support the view that a WW1 economy all brass cap badge should have lugs rather than a slider ? I know there may be some exceptions but there are an aweful lot of fakes out there.
The official WW1 ACD badges were generally made with sliders and the records show that this remained the case when some designs were made in all brass. Lugged economy badges are all fakes with the exception of the Royal Scots badges whose bi-metal badges came that way. I have seen all brass RWK lugged badges but they did not pass muster.

Alan
Old 02-06-09, 07:47 AM

It's not just "more likely" Andy, the WO orders specified "vertical shanks" ie = sliders.
There were very few with loops, eg RFC - will look up more later on - must rush !
Regarding WM, the RACD discussion on "econ" was quite specific
"Badges entirely of white metal will remain as heretofore."
Old 02-06-09, 08:14 AM
guest456

Default RWK WW1 economy

AlanO - I think you have over-stated the case by suggesting that all but the Royal Scots brass economy badges must be fakes if they are lugged. Where do you get your supporting evidence from for this statement ?
Old 02-06-09, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think that the RS lugged badges are fakes - I said 'with the exception of the Royal Scots..'

Alan
Old 02-06-09, 12:13 PM
Former Member

Smile

GD,
I must admit you do not hold back with your replies ("Wrath of GD"), if a post can be stern, then yours always are! It is nice to see your views, but please remember that we are not all "Naughty Schoolboys"! The Forum (IMO) is a great site, I consider myself a serious collector although I'm a bit of a "Jack of all Trades" with a small knowledge on a large swathe of areas of the hobby. I also sell a bit on ebay to supplement my hobby, I am quite proud of my feedback and the service I provide, when I list an item as Genuine it is because I am 99.99999999999r% it is, not like some outlets!

Please keep your input coming, but please be aware that some of your posts border on confrontational, information is always welcomed when offered and not forced!

Best wishes!

Andy
Old 04-06-09, 06:20 PM
Former Member

Default Strayed away!!!

Alan,
we started in West Kent and ended up in Deepest Derbyshire, I think,,.. sorry I have just read what GD has stated, the provenance in question is that the men i.e. the beasts who wore the ALL Brass Notts & Derby shown above (which I doubt very much is a Pals badge) where in their recruit days volunteers or militia men, very much like those who today wear the badges of the Rifles who were Green Jackets or that of the Royal Regiment of Scotland who were Argylls. Back to my RW Kent badge, I may be tempted to back down from my theory that it is an EI (but maybe not) what puzzles me most is the small "M" does anyone have any theories on that one?

Andy
Old 04-06-09, 07:39 PM
Former Member

Well if people insist on staying off thread, I was after answer to the RW Kent badge, the small "M" REMEMBER????.

I thought the Gaunt Plated/Plaqued being for private purchase was a "Theory" and I think yet to be backed up by anything other that supposition, Private purchase was something that officers did, i.e. they were not issued badges and had to buy them from the Regimental taylor, where the taylor got them from I do not know, probably from Gaunt and such (so I suppose that could also be termed private purchase). My theory, of which I have no proof is that the plaques were an early form of advertising, at a time when new units and formations were on the increase and so plenty of new business to be had by these very small companies many of which were very small in their set up. Many commonwealth badges can be found with plaques, a foot in the overseas market door?

Can we please get back to the RW Kent issue, please start your own thread if you want to stay off track!

Many thanks

Andy
Old 04-06-09, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Andy,

Although I must point out that you introduced the all brass N&D into the thread I have moved the threads.

As far as Gaunt plaques go on overseas badges this as you say because they were being sold commercially to those countries. The 'advertising' analogy is quite a good one. There is no point making plaques on badges being supplied to the WD but there is to potential buyers overseas, TF associations and organisation supplying locally raised units.

As for the mysterious 'm' I am 90% sure I have seen it before but as yet I cannot recollect exactly where.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 04-06-09 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 08:06 PM
Former Member

Alan,

many thanks, if you do recall where you have seen "M" for mystery (or misery in this case??) I would be very grateful!

Andy
Old 05-06-09, 05:54 AM

Curiously enough it reminds me of "mint marks" on coins, English pennies of the early 20th c sometimes had them. They would be one or sometimes two letters that represented a place rather than a person / company and were usually neatly placed in a corner somewhere.