British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-09, 08:44 PM
Former Member

Question King's Liverpool - "Another Conundrum"

Just as you manage to get your head around some of the indicators of a hooky badge, along somes something to raise a doubt!!!!

"Gaunt London with a dot/full stop between t and L, in small font (1mm) is a sign of a repro!!!"

Got this one today, post 1927 larger pattern, looks great from the front, a decent weight and the patina of an older badge! However it's got:

"JRGAUNT.LONDON"

I have other badges with 1mm high J R GAUNT LONDON MARKINGS without the dreaded "Full Stop" that I'm more than happy with, this King's badge however has a slightly different format to the makers mark associated with fakes! I've shown a Cornwall LI badge that's a copy, the marking is;

"J.R. GAUNT. LONDON"

Please take a look and, as always your coments will be welcomed!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16 Mar 09 002.jpg (45.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 16 Mar 09 004.jpg (48.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 16 Mar 09 005.jpg (57.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 16 Mar 09 006.jpg (71.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 16-03-09, 08:50 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default King's

Hello Andy,

You know that I'm not going to be too constructive but one thing sticks out when compared to mine.........................on mine, the tails touches the ground, or is it ' torse ', see my album, could that be a pointer of some sort ??

Dave.
Old 16-03-09, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Just as you manage to get your head around some of the indicators of a hooky badge, along somes something to raise a doubt!!!!

"Gaunt London with a dot/full stop between t and L, in small font (1mm) is a sign of a repro!!!"

Andy
Andy,

Not always true. I have a Royal Norfolk cap badge (and know of another) which is certainly genuine in small font with a dot between t and L.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/makers_marks/gaunt.htm

What you say is the general rule but as ever in this hobby there are always exceptions to the rule.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 16-03-09, 09:10 PM
Former Member

Thanks Luke - My gut feeling is that it's OK, I think the "Dot" rule applies in 99% of cases?

Dave, the badge shown is earlier than yours and the tail has grown!!!, No seriously there are quite a few variations on this pattern badge!

All the best - Andy
Old 16-03-09, 09:29 PM

Andy,

Your badge looks as though it has been lacquered at some point and is now wearing off (esp on the slider)?

Where 99.9% of restrike makers marks fall down is the quality and depth of the mark, they tend to be shallow, poorly struck into the slider and lack quality. A good sign I always think is a degree of radiusing (is a word ) around the perimiter of the mark indicating a heavy press into the slider, though this is not always present.

Whilst I agree the badge's general appearence looks good to me, (even the slider is of a nice style and shape) the fact the stamping of the name is incomplete in certain places is a bit of a concern. Julian or P.B I'm sure will be able to give you a definitive answer on this badge and the die.

The DCLI is a definite no-no.

Cheers,

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 16-03-09 at 09:41 PM. Reason: teeny weeny addition
Old 16-03-09, 09:46 PM
Former Member

Luke, no lacquere, I took photos with aid of a flash, losing light when I finished work! (I'm Sure Julian will have some positive Feedback, one way or the other!) - Andy
Old 16-03-09, 11:41 PM

Andy,
Dinna fear, it's perfectly genuine. It is the size of the letters and the length of the whole inscription that makes it different to the nasties.
There are three different variations (main variations) of pattern 10042/1926 (sealed on 15th Sept 1926), this is, I think, the first; more common as officers (S&G and bronze OSD) than in BM. The one that Dave refers to (long tail touching torse) is indeed the most common BM (I have counted 13 different ones) but only single examples of S&G and OSD. What I think is the 3rd type has a short tail again but straight rather than crooked legs. (I'll be certain of the order of these when I have seen a certain collection !).
I have an identical one to yours but it has braze holes
... I've been after the version without braze holes for a while !!!!
Julian

Last edited by KLR; 16-03-09 at 11:50 PM.