British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-13, 09:54 PM

Default Mystery African(?) badge

I bought this in a collection of mainly British anodised badges, but it’s origin so far eludes me. It does resemble Somali police badges, both past and present, though it is far from a perfect match. Any ideas please?

Thanks

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17Dec2013b 002b.jpg (60.4 KB, 92 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 18-12-13, 10:19 PM

Hi,

I think you're most probably right: Somaliland Police.

Regards,

Zob.

Last edited by zob; 19-12-13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 19-12-13, 08:40 AM

Hi Zob

Thank you, if only I could confirm it 100%, but in any photos online the wearers are either looking the wrong way or the image is too small.

Thanks again

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 25-12-13, 10:33 AM

it kind of reminds me of a modified seaforth highlanders cap badge, just wish i could read the scroll.
Old 25-12-13, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnyB/3/75fa View Post
it kind of reminds me of a modified seaforth highlanders cap badge, just wish i could read the scroll.
Hi Gunbunny

There's nothing on the scroll, that's the problem - at least the Arabic badges have an inscription that can be translated. I still think it is Somali, it may be police but is not the current one shown (in admittedly poor images) online.

Best for the rest of Christmas

Graham
Old 25-12-13, 11:01 PM

Default Mystery Badge

The Badge of the British Somaliland Police comprised an antelope's head facing left as viewed surrounded by a laurel wreath and surmounted by a King's Crown.No scroll. See illustrations at Serials 700 to 701 in British Colonial Badges.
The badge in question would appear to be that of the newly independant Somalia Police in that the Crown was simply replaced by a star but with a scroll added,though why it bears no inscription continues the mystery.
Old 27-12-13, 12:19 AM

Maybe they ran out of money!

Actually, they may have gone for the familiar shape - I assume the British version had the scroll - but either figured their clientele, who maybe can't read, wouldn't care or hadn't decided on the appropriate motto/title by the time they needed the badges. Stranger things happen!

Peter
Old 04-07-22, 05:45 PM

Default Eureka! Mystery solved - Somalia Custodial Corps

Good evening

I am pleased to report that, after over eight years, I have confirmed that the badge I posted is the beret badge of the Somalia Custodial Corps (prison service) (scroll down to page 6 on the attached link):
https://procurement-notices.undp.org...m?doc_id=87014

Now if I can just find the d*mn thing I can offer it for exchange.

Thanks for looking

Graham

Last edited by Chacal; 04-07-22 at 05:57 PM.