British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Classifieds: Sales and Wanted

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books

Old 12-11-18, 04:23 AM

Default Extremely rare RGSM to a Rhodesian PJI

Reluctant sale.

Extremely rare Rhodesian General Service Medal to Rhodesian PJI

5023 TPR J S MELLETT

Rhodesian born.

Rhodesian Light Infantry (RLI) regular and then an instructor with the regiment. The RLI was one of the premier infantry regiments and were involved in the Bush War from 1967 till the end of 1979. From 1976 they became para trained and jumped into combat more than any other regiment. They were reportedly responsible for over 10,000 of the enemy killed.
John then transferred to the Greys Scouts and became an instructor there. I know where there is a photo of him in the Grey’s Scouts for sale.
Trained and utilised as mounted infantry as opposed to cavalry, the Grey’s Scouts saw exceptional success in the field. Lightly equipped, they were able to cover great distances at speed, live off the veldt with minimal support and through ‘shock action’, quickly engage and destroy insurgent forces. Originally a regular formation, the Grey’s Scouts were augmented by Territorial and National Service soldiers as the conflict progressed and by 1980, when hostilities ceased, the Regiment numbered some 600 soldiers, both men and women, black and white.

John then applied for a position as a Parachute Jump Instructor (PJI). The course had the highest fail rate in the Security Forces and the reason there were only ever 50 PJI’s from 1961-1980.
Rhodesian Security Forces made more parachute jumps into combat than the entire worlds parachute trained forces have done in history. One RLI stick jumped from C47’s into contacts three times in the one day.
They were also the first to static parachute at a regular height of 350 feet. This was exceptional as at first it was thought not to be possible as the air is thinner there.

After 1980 John transferred to the Zimbabwe Air Force where he was a PJI till 1984.

He is the only person to ever to see service in these four units.

I have quite a few scans of original photos that I will supply with these medals. I will also supply two full lengths of original RGSM ribbon in case the buyer wants to have them remounted.

4857 is his service number as shown written by him inside his belt for the 'Greens' uniform.
5023 was his brother's service number but they've made a mistake (which they sometimes did) and put John's initials on it.
Both medals will go together.

'Initially the Regular Army other ranks, private/trooper/rifleman to warrant Officers, were only given four digit numbers and this changed later when
they added a 72.... in front of those numbers, when they went computerized.
These numbers, by 1980, had run into the 73.... series.'

This is why John's listed service number was 724857M on the roll but originally it was just 4857 before they computerized it and that's why inside his army belt he has just those four digits.
And his brothers is the same.

TPR or Trooper was used in the RhArmy for SAS, Selous Scouts, RLI, Greys Scouts and Armoured.

Some slight dings in the rims of both medals as can be seen in the photos.

PM or email for price. Medals will be sent by registered mail. PayPal gift is preferred.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3767.jpg (107.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3773.jpg (26.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 4857 J.S. MELLET Grey Scouts_4.jpg (17.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Receiving PJI Brevet.jpg (26.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg BSL-105.jpg (67.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg PTS-1982.jpg (63.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg GreyScoutsRecruitsCrs1977.jpg (110.3 KB, 41 views)

Collector of Rhodesian PJI brevets, uniforms and Despatcher wings.

'When learning stops ignorance flourishes.' — PG

'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.'
-Stephen Hawking
Old 12-11-18, 12:55 PM

Peter:

I am interested in your "Extremely rare RGSM to a Rhodesian PJI".I don't have your email address and you have to private messenger system turned off.
Old 22-11-18, 10:23 PM

Please remove this post.
Sold.

'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.'
-Stephen Hawking
Old 22-11-18, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Peter:

I am interested in your "Extremely rare RGSM to a Rhodesian PJI".I don't have your email address and you have to private messenger system turned off.
At least next time try and have the courtesy to answer my emails.

-Stephen Hawking