British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-18, 03:55 PM

Default Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum. I'm here mainly to get help identifying some badges. Ive been given a display cabinet from my dad to sell on Ebay thats why i am here. He got a box and display case from my grandpa, my dad and me dont have any sort of knowledge of militaria badges. My grandpa passed away in the early 80s so what he collected was obviously obtained before that. I know some people will probably look down on Ebayers and i know how you feel, I did sell painted miniatures, napoleonic ww2 and warhammer but now i have all these badges to do. I have learnt that there are such things as a restrikes and that usually the smaller badges arent cap badges but collar badges. Ive got a few weird ones which i will put up for show hopefully i might puzzle one or two of you.
I hope some people on the forum wont mind helping me, ive spent 4 months looking online and trying to id things but i am struggling with plenty. Any sort of information will be much appreciated especially if i have a badge from a Welsh regiment as my family is from Wales and i dont want to get rid of anything my grandpa or any other family members might of worn or was part of.
Thanks for any help and i hope i have some puzzling ones for you to have fun with trying to id
Mark

I think ive submitted this twice now, sorry if i have, just delete one
Old 02-11-18, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Mark, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts. Members should be able to help you out.
Old 02-11-18, 04:54 PM

Mark,

For ID only the front photo is fine but to determine originality please photo front and back.

Fakes have been around a long time and certainly at the time your grandfather was collecting.

PS - I dont look down on ebayers, I love it. However, there are unfortunately many greedy cheats who try to sell fake badges on there as real.

good luck

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 03-11-18, 07:10 AM

Hi,
Thankyou. I'll stick a couple of badges up today.
As for fakes i wouldnt be able to tell , i do have one that looks really badly cast so i guess thats one and i saw what looked like a small solid bulge coming out of the castle on the badge so i think thats one.
Why were people making copies of them years ago, where they valuable back in the 50s 60s? i thought there would be plenty of badges around and not particurlarly hard to obtain or am i wrong?
Old 03-11-18, 03:06 PM

Cast badges are not primarily fakes! When in India or Egypt (Middle East) badges where locally made we refer to them as Theatre made and are crude but honest badges, copies where made in the 20,s for collectors (expect to be put right on this though?) Restrikes have flooded the market now and getting harder to tell apart from real badges good luck billy
Old 03-11-18, 03:16 PM

Restrike in the 50s - 60s?
A British company, Fox & co were churning them out in the 19-noughties