British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-09-10, 10:44 AM
Banned

Default J R Gaunt 'fakes' (unauthorised reprductions)

The company (J R Gaunt) are interested in learning about any sources manufacturing badges (of any sort but particularly non-hallmarked 'Sterling Silver' ones) and passing them off as genuine.

Any information can be sent to production@jrgaunt.co

Thank you.
Old 14-09-10, 12:19 PM
LYPAO Boff

If we can provide this information for Gaunt ...... from the Collecting community ......would Gaunt help us (collectors) with usefull information ie: Badge production dates by Regiment etc

If Gaunt needs a FREE employee to look through their dusty books and documents to catalogue this information then I would volunteer my services quite happily

I can certainly show one website that has a seemingly endless supply of "Perfect" Gaunt tablet badges and Gaunt "sterling silver" badges

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 14-09-10 at 12:35 PM.
Old 14-09-10, 01:14 PM

Is this for real ! ?

If so then I hope no-one helps, aren't there enough Gaunt restrikes on the market without collectors helping to create better forgeries. Anyway, other than the early Fox glenagarry restikes Gaunt invented the bloody things or did little to stop their name appearing on them
Old 14-09-10, 01:29 PM
LYPAO Boff

I think it is real Keith?

I have just done a full search on the Domain and I have a full listing of the Owner..... looks good to me

(There is more.... but I wont put it here)

Technical Contact Name: S**** Gaunt
Technical Contact Organization: J R Gaunt and Son
Technical Contact Address1: 2 New Burlington Place
Technical Contact City: London
Technical Contact State/Province: London
Technical Contact Postal Code: W1S 2HP
Technical Contact Country: UNITED KINGDOM
Technical Contact Country Code: GB
Technical Contact Phone Number: +44.77****
Technical Contact Email: gryffe msn com

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 14-09-10 at 01:48 PM.
Old 14-09-10, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffe View Post
The company (J R Gaunt) are interested in learning about any sources manufacturing badges (of any sort but particularly non-hallmarked 'Sterling Silver' ones) and passing them off as genuine.

Any information can be sent to production@jrgaunt.co

Thank you.

Your post looks extremely 'troll like' old chap. can you expand on this a bit - who wants the information? and how did you come by the 'request'??
Old 14-09-10, 01:54 PM
LYPAO Boff

Mike.... see the above..... I have checked the domain name out and all looks good

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 14-09-10, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
I think it is real Keith?

I have just done a full search on the Domain and I have a full listing of the Owner..... looks good to me

(There is more.... but I wont put it here)

Technical Contact Name: S**** Gaunt
Technical Contact Organization: J R Gaunt and Son
Technical Contact Address1: 2 New Burlington Place
Technical Contact City: London
Technical Contact State/Province: London
Technical Contact Postal Code: W1S 2HP
Technical Contact Country: UNITED KINGDOM
Technical Contact Country Code: GB
Technical Contact Phone Number: +44.77****
Technical Contact Email: gryffe msn com

I did that as well. And went a step further (companies house):

they changed their name from J.R. Gaunt & Son Ltd. in 2003 to this:

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/aa...95/compdetails

CLEAVE & COMPANY LIMITED who have a site here: http://www.cleaveandcompany.com/ ????
20-22 BEDFORD ROW
LONDON
WC1R 4JS

still hanging on to the Gaunt domain though.

There is another company in the channel Islands calling themselves J.R.Gaunt & Son Ltd that own the jrgaunt.com domain. (edit: same outfit as above)
Old 14-09-10, 01:58 PM
LYPAO Boff

ooooooooo..... you beat me to it......

That was my next step....... now the ball is firmly in your court Mike

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 14-09-10, 02:01 PM
Badge Guru

What is social engineering by the way?
Old 14-09-10, 02:09 PM
L&BH

"It is the act of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information, rather than by breaking in or using technical cracking techniques. "

Last edited by L&BH; 14-09-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 14-09-10, 08:48 PM

Default JR Gaunt 'fakes'

Griff,

I'm sure Gaunt would love to oblige with providing details, but since a disasterous fire the remaining embers, cherred paper, twisted badges and surviving items are with the National Army Musum. They are slowly being sorted but will never provide a full reference again.

Stephen.
Old 14-09-10, 09:12 PM

Griff.... is this you? Technical Contact Email: gryffe msn com
Old 14-09-10, 11:16 PM

Hi Guys,

I understand that the current Gaunt company has nothing to do with the original.

What are we talking about here? The unofficial commissions made by Gaunt for dodgy dealers to defraud the collecting community or by others knocking off badges with a Gaunt name?

Sounds very iffy to me and in all honestly I'd tell 'em to get stuffed unless they are keen to reimburse members here for the quality of expertise held by said members on the subject.

Regards

Chris
Old 19-09-10, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

I understand that the current Gaunt company has nothing to do with the original.

What are we talking about here? The unofficial commissions made by Gaunt for dodgy dealers to defraud the collecting community or by others knocking off badges with a Gaunt name?

Sounds very iffy to me and in all honestly I'd tell 'em to get stuffed unless they are keen to reimburse members here for the quality of expertise held by said members on the subject.

Regards

Chris
I'm astonished that no-one simply lifted the telephone and asked or tried sending an email. Then a full explanation would have been given to whoever enquired.

The company registered as J R Gaunt at companies house is indeed Cleave and Co. It has no connection with the original J R Gaunt.

However, following forgeries of CAR badges made by J R Gaunt the original company is being re-established for the CAR badge side of the business only.

As part of that process the trademark and hallmarks have been re-registered. A VeRO registration has also been lodged with eBay.

A consequence of that is that there is now a legal entity existing who can act against anyone replicating any J R Gaunt article and claiming it to be (eg) Sterling Silver and made by J R Gaunt. As such an item would have to have been assayed in Birmingham then if it has a (fake) hallmark on it that is a criminal offence and if it is offered for sale as Sterling without a hallmark that is a civil offence.

Passing off an item as J R Gaunt without the permission of the trademark holder is another offence.

This whole exercise is being done to prevent classic CAR badge collectors being ripped off. A tangential benefit is that SOME of the military badge fakers could have been stopped.

If the members of this forum don't want anything that could stop fakes being produced done that's fine; there was no hidden agenda.
Old 19-09-10, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffe View Post
I'm astonished that no-one simply lifted the telephone and asked or tried sending an email. Then a full explanation would have been given to whoever enquired.

The company registered as J R Gaunt at companies house is indeed Cleave and Co. It has no connection with the original J R Gaunt.

However, following forgeries of CAR badges made by J R Gaunt the original company is being re-established for the CAR badge side of the business only.

As part of that process the trademark and hallmarks have been re-registered. A VeRO registration has also been lodged with eBay.

A consequence of that is that there is now a legal entity existing who can act against anyone replicating any J R Gaunt article and claiming it to be (eg) Sterling Silver and made by J R Gaunt. As such an item would have to have been assayed in Birmingham then if it has a (fake) hallmark on it that is a criminal offence and if it is offered for sale as Sterling without a hallmark that is a civil offence.

Passing off an item as J R Gaunt without the permission of the trademark holder is another offence.

This whole exercise is being done to prevent classic CAR badge collectors being ripped off. A tangential benefit is that SOME of the military badge fakers could have been stopped.

If the members of this forum don't want anything that could stop fakes being produced done that's fine; there was no hidden agenda.

Hi,

You've got to realise though YOU could have been anyone, even a taxi driver..... , the information we have could be used to help you or other make even better badges and catch us out...... other than that, how can we tell who you are or what you do..... Also seing as the registration mark etc. had gone out of licence and that gaunt themselves were culpable of making unmarked copies, how can we distinguish between the ones your company made and ones made last week....... bit difficult really. And another little bit, you'll never stop them being sold on ebay as it's subjective, how do you prove it ain't a "right'n un", it's one persons word against another....... and you'll never stop any copies whatsoever being made and sold, as again you have surely got to prove your company didn't make the fake in the first place???

I'm sure you can see our scepticism on just handing out info that could help forgers, willy nilly.... (even tips on spotting duds is occasionally done via pm to keep info hush hush....).

And with regards to the hallmarked bit, there are lots of US based sellers replicating hallmarks and ebay still allows them to sell..... as it's not an offence in the USA etc. Look for the Eagle squadron badges..... I agree on the hallmark/sterling aspect but, it's again a difficult to prove process.....

ATB,
Tom

Tags
counterfeit, fake, j r gaunt