British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-09-15, 08:23 PM

Default Cyclist Cap Badges

Hi,

I have a query on 3 of the Cyclist Battalions, and am hoping some knowledgeable folks here may have some info.
From my research it seems to me that of the Cyclist Battalions in existence post 1911, (acknowledging Huntingdonshire were 1914 raised) most had a distinct cap badge (i.e., Huntingdonshire, Northern, Hampshire etc) or a variant of the parent Regiment (i.e. Highland, Essex with blank scroll, Welsh blackened etc).

My question is for the following Battalions :

The 6th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Sussex Battalion
The 7th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Devonshire Regiment
The 10th (Linlithgowshire) (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Scots

From what I can gather, and see from photos, these 3 battalions simply wore the standard cap badge for the parent Battalion.

Is that correct? Or were there, in fact, distinguishing features to their badges?

Appreciate any advice

Cheers, Tim
Old 30-09-15, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Hi,

I have a query on 3 of the Cyclist Battalions, and am hoping some knowledgeable folks here may have some info.
From my research it seems to me that of the Cyclist Battalions in existence post 1911, (acknowledging Huntingdonshire were 1914 raised) most had a distinct cap badge (i.e., Huntingdonshire, Northern, Hampshire etc) or a variant of the parent Regiment (i.e. Highland, Essex with blank scroll, Welsh blackened etc).

My question is for the following Battalions :

The 6th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Sussex Battalion
The 7th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Devonshire Regiment
The 10th (Linlithgowshire) (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Scots

From what I can gather, and see from photos, these 3 battalions simply wore the standard cap badge for the parent Battalion.

Is that correct? Or were there, in fact, distinguishing features to their badges?

Appreciate any advice

Cheers, Tim
IMHO that is correct. They wore the same as the other TF Battalions of their regiment.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 01-10-15, 06:52 AM

OK, great, thanks very much for the info. From photos, it certainly appeared that way, so good to have confirmation.

Thanks again

Cheers, Tim

Tags
cap badge, cyclist