British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-10, 11:59 AM

Default Cap badge - can anyone identify

I am hopeful someone might help identify this British cap badge which will help with some family research - the closest I have seen is Military Foot Police. Photo taken approx 1915 to 1920. Many thanks Rita (28).jpg
Old 29-10-10, 02:07 PM

Default unidentified badge

hi, in the book military badges of the british empire 1914-1918 by reginald cox the badge shown is item 2032, the extra regimentally employed list, this list included the names of officers at military training establishments or on staffs not associated with a particular regiment or corps of the army. the badge was in gilt or bronze and is found in a number of sizes. hope this is of help. regards john
Old 29-10-10, 02:09 PM

Hi Nolandy
That looks to me like a British Army senior officers cap badge for colonels and brigadiers in bullion wire rather than the extra-regimantally employed badge.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 29-10-10, 02:40 PM

Agree with Alex that it is a senior officer's cap badge and worn on the service dress cap on a coloured band. A number of colours were in use and also worn were staff gorget collar tabs in matching colours. My album has some examples:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=20302
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=20301

It may be worth posting the whole photograph if you have it as other clues may come from the uniform.

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 29-10-10 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add links
Old 11-04-13, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolandy View Post
I am hopeful someone might help identify this British cap badge which will help with some family research - the closest I have seen is Military Foot Police. Photo taken approx 1915 to 1920. Many thanks Attachment 31626
Look at the Army Pay Department (dealt only with officers pay). Only existed a short time (early 1900s).
Old 19-10-13, 02:06 PM

Smile badge query

This is very much like the badge of The Royal First Devon Yeomanry .They wore the simple royal crest of crown and lion,in bronze and brass both void or solid. A similar badge to this was worn by senior officers during the war

Tags
cap badge