British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-08, 06:02 PM

Default Ebay item 380031882518 QC BiM Loyal Regt.

Comments on this badge please. Note this does not have hairpin slider, seved with Regt '57 to '59 still used KC version, the badges I retained after rebadging had sliders fitted both ways is this badge pukka.

Last edited by Mike; 03-06-08 at 06:10 PM. Reason: add link
Old 05-06-08, 05:56 AM

I'm well aware that regts units continued to wear a KC up to 1958 when Brigade badges took over but the QC ones were usually waiting in the wings - then used by TA units.
What I'm interested in though is your mention of the hairpin shaped slider on a Loyals badge. I had always thought this was a 1st WW phenomenon (I have a Loyal North Lancs with hairpin). Are you saying that the Loyal Regt continued with this kind of slider up into the 1950s ??
Old 06-06-08, 03:52 PM

Here are images of hairpin slider kc badges.
Left.
This is the badge I wore with Bn. unsure as to whether this was aquired in U.K. or Malaya. Note that ribbon has been bent in towards rose this was standard practice,reason being ends of ribbon tend to be somewhat sharp and were also getting snagged on things. A higher polish to badges was by the brutal method of plonking a dollop of 'Brasso' on a piece of cardboard and rubbing until abrasive effect had removed raised detail to a degree acceptable to SNCO'o.

Centre.
Purchase from 'A' Coy QM's untouched.

Right.
Aquisition in '70's seems to have had the treatment.
Old 09-06-08, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
I'm well aware that regts units continued to wear a KC up to 1958 when Brigade badges took over but the QC ones were usually waiting in the wings - then used by TA units.
What I'm interested in though is your mention of the hairpin shaped slider on a Loyals badge. I had always thought this was a 1st WW phenomenon (I have a Loyal North Lancs with hairpin). Are you saying that the Loyal Regt continued with this kind of slider up into the 1950s ??
Both the WW1 and the WW2 ones were issued with the hairpin sliders. The regt did not like a/a and any soldier with one bought their own which I believe had the standard 'end-on' slider. I have never seen a q/c one that I liked.

Alan
Old 09-06-08, 08:37 PM

ww1 and ww2 with the hairpin sliders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1556-K664-G12.JPG (22.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg C1556-K664-G12--.JPG (17.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg K665-G16.JPG (30.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg K665-G16--.JPG (24.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-06-08, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
I have never seen a q/c one that I liked.
What are the indicators that you have seen to not be happy with them.

Cheers
Chris
Old 10-06-08, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Julian.
I have a "The Loyal Regiment" version with hairpin slider. All of mine (both KC versions and the QC) except the QVC have them. The QVC has loops.
Cheers
Chris
Old 10-06-08, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
What are the indicators that you have seen to not be happy with them.

Cheers
Chris
Chris,

I have seen several and they all look like they were made recently. A couple have been absolutley brand new and flimsly because they werer cheap metal. Ideally I am lokking for one made of a solid, good quality gilding metal, with a hairpin slider and a genuine makers mark for the period. By the late 50' most badges can be found marked.

Alan
Old 10-06-08, 12:07 PM

Thank you Alan. Mine's probably a re-strike as it has the hairpin slider and looks the goods but it has thinner metal than the other two and has no maker's mark. Better to know what to look for than be fooled.
Regards
Chris

Tags
loyal regiment