British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-03-10, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default GORDON HIGHLANDERS BADGE

Can any positively ID this? I beleive that it is a Victorian Gordon Highalnders belt plate but only have a written description to go on but it seems to match?
There is damage and the fixings are gone unfortunately. It is 2 piece and a nice weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gordons.jpg (10.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 18-03-10, 06:33 PM

Alan, I'm pretty sure it is a sporran badge. I've seen it in a book of rubbings at the NAM. J
(I've just sent you an email with a sketch - that's copyright so can't post it here )

Last edited by KLR; 18-03-10 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added line
Old 18-03-10, 06:37 PM

Hello,
This badge was worn on various Gordon Highlander items from C1881 up until 1994 when they joined with the Queen's Own Highlanders.
It was used as the centre of both the Officers and O/R's waist belt plate, on pipers Baldric Cross belts, on the cantle of Officer's, SNCO's and Pipers sporrans & on some patterns of Plaid brooch, to name a few. You can sometimes tell it's use from the mounts on the back.
Regards,
Y
Old 18-03-10, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks the fixings are missing but they might have been on the ends of the arms of the cross.
Old 18-03-10, 10:03 PM

Does it look like they have been bolts or wire mounts? Or something else?
Old 19-03-10, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

It is impossible to tell but I can't see any bolt posts.

Alan
Old 19-03-10, 05:52 PM

It sounds as if it may have had wire attachments. The bolt posts are usually fairley visable, even when removed.
If it was wire attachments then it is most likely that this was an Officers waist belt plate badge. I have seen these with both wire mounts and also small pegs with holes it. these pegs pass through the belt plate and are secured by having a thin wire pass through the hole. A bit like miniture lugs on a cap badge.
The sporrans I have had have all had the badge mounted on the cantle using bolts.
All the best,
Y
Old 19-03-10, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. I will offer it up and see if any any Gordons enthusiasts fancy a repair project.
Old 22-03-10, 04:58 PM

Hello Alan,
Can you tell me how the Tigar and Sphinx are attached to the cross? Most I have seen are on short wires which are bent over.
The reason I ask is because I have a Gordon Highlanders Cross Belt plate which is missing these two small badges. So if you are thinking of parting with the badge I might be interested.
Can you tell me the approx. size of each badge, as they do seem to vary in size a bit.
Regards,
Y
Old 22-03-10, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Y,

There are no wires and they seen braised on as I can see no means of fixing. It is currently on ebay if you want it for scrap. I will send you the measurements once I find a ruler. The back is discoloured and has traces of resin from being on a board I think.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges080.jpg (87.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 22-03-10, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

The plinths are 15mm wide and the top of the sphinx to the bottom of the lower plinth is 30mm.
Old 22-03-10, 08:32 PM

Hello Alan,
It sounds as if they would be too difficult to remove easily and cleanly, but thanks for leting me know the details. Hope you have good luck with them on Ebay.
All the best,
Y

Tags
gordon highlanders