British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-16, 10:51 AM

Default WW2 Officers SD cap - buttons question

Hi Guys,

Forgive me if a very basic question but hats aren't my thing...I am about to acquire a WW2 officer's SD cap which currently has the plastic General Service corps badge and side buttons.

As it is in nice condition and doesn't cost much, I wanted this for display purposes and intend replacing the badge with an OSD badge to the Hampshire Regt to compliment a display.

My question concerns the side buttons...can anyone advise me what type I need - a photo being ideal to avoid any confusion.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Elliott; 31-07-16 at 07:16 PM.
Old 31-07-16, 09:58 PM

Ideally for an OSD cap you want the regimental buttons in bronzed brass/gm, though in many case officers caps have the GS buttons. I would have to google an image of the Hampshire buttons which you could perhaps do as easily as me or someone will post them for you. Altering a period cap is not something I would do lightly if it is an untouched example, though that is up to you.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ha...NwC5YQ_AUIBigB

Jerry
Old 01-08-16, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Altering a period cap is not something I would do lightly if it is an untouched example, though that is up to you.]
Thanks Jerry. I did wonder if the very idea was considered sacrosanct? I can't get too excited about a General Service Corp cap and it is selling in a junk shop for a little more than I've seen the plastic badge alone make, so thought it an ideal candidate for conversion - I'll have a re-think!

So ideally, I need to locate two small Hampshire buttons, although leaving the GS ones is not wrong either.

Regards,

Kevin.
Old 02-08-16, 09:39 AM

Plastic badges are not that rare but to have the badge AND buttons on a contemporary hat IS. I wold urge you to keep it as it is. I suspect that the acquisition of buttons OSD badge and any old cap would not be difficult.
Old 02-08-16, 08:06 PM

KLR,
Many thanks for the sound advice. Ok, I'm convinced. I'll leave it in its original state.

Kind regards,

Kevin.