British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-16, 11:22 AM

Default What do people collect?

Hi All,

I'm new into collecting and so far have concentrated on Military Police items, Signaller trade badges and war service enamel badges.

I've chosen those because of connections with my scout group's history but it's got me thinking about what people collect and why.

Are there any "must have" badges I should be looking for as a new collector, something that every collector should have or do people pick a theme that is personal to them and stick with that?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 05-05-16, 01:21 PM

Hello Michael,
For me it was always the Anglo Boer War, simply because I had always found it a most fascinating period, where the old meets the new, a dress rehearsal for the campaigns of our time, certainly, in my opinion, at least, the absolute last of the gentlemen's wars and of course, very good, in particular, from a badge collectors point of view.
Regards Frank

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 05-05-16 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 01:23 PM

I've been collecting now for just over a year & haven't yet been able to decide on a theme. My collecting of cap badges has been largely based around "If I don't have it in my collection, I want it", always assuming I can afford it! I think I subconsciously adopted this strategy because if I'm going to be getting up very early on Sunday morning, I don't want to be returning home empty handed. I tend to shy away from anodised aluminium though, no real reason for that, just personal preference.

In addition to the cap badges, I've also picked up First World War "On War Service" badges (one for each year), some pieces of trench art, a World War 2 "Loyal Service" badge & I also rediscovered some World War 2 padded RAF pilots wings that a friend gave me around 40 years ago, when I was sorting through some boxes of stuff.

I also have a World War 1 Victory medal along with a mystery leather box & a Victorian coat of arms, of unknown origin or purpose, that my sister & her partner discovered when clearing his house out before Christmas.
Old 07-05-16, 07:30 PM

I also have a World War 1 Victory medal along with a mystery leather box & a Victorian coat of arms, of unknown origin or purpose, that my sister & her partner discovered when clearing his house out before Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Who is a the medal named to? Some I am sure some of the boys on here would help with research on the recipient.
Old 07-05-16, 09:46 PM

The research on the medal has already been done, courtesy of the members on here, when I posted pictures shortly after Christmas. It was given to L/Cpl Sydney Young of the South Staffs Regiment. If I recall correctly, he was wounded in 1916 although I forget the exact date.
Old 07-05-16, 11:05 PM

I collect what I like with several themes, vaguely connected to each other. I don't want to limit myself to one thing, i don't think anybody should feel they have to. I think this goes against the general feelings on the forum, I could be wrong again.
Old 08-05-16, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I collect what I like with several themes, vaguely connected to each other. I don't want to limit myself to one thing, i don't think anybody should feel they have to. I think this goes against the general feelings on the forum, I could be wrong again.
I've had some people on here suggesting I focus more on specific areas and I've had others who agree with you that you shouldn't limit yourself. Personally I had no intention of limiting myself, I just found myself naturally slowing down and concentrating on my grenades and guards. Got my other bits as well(tigers, RA, caps, hackles, guns, tanks & skulls, sandcast, Paras etc)
But I find it rewarding collecting a newer regiment(RRF) because items are pretty easy to get hold of, reasonably priced and I can harass fuzzies regarding badges etc.
Equally rewarding is collecting NF, LF and RF because I get enjoyment from the historical side of collecting them, reading histories and the buzz of getting a real antique badge. And of course they along with Warks Fus then eventually became RRF so it works very nicely for me.
Nobody should feel they have to focus on anything though. It's your money, your hobby do what you like.
Old 08-05-16, 06:20 AM

Default What do people collect

As a child my Uncle gave me an old khaki cloth bag containing a mixed group of cap badges, collar dogs, titles and buttons- mainly broken. These had been collected by him during the 1939-45 war.

His father had been a pre-war County Council employee designing the highways and bye-ways of Hertfordshire (post-war he helped design the M1 but don't hold it against him). With the advent of war he joined the RE as they wanted his skills with concrete.

His Commissioning process started on a Friday at Chatham, where he received his jabs, books on Field Engineering, and a clothing list. Saturday am found him in central London buying his new uniform. Saturday pm he was taught how, and whom to salute, and was Commissioned. Sunday morning he was on the boat train to France and the BEF. He spent the phoney war travelling from unit to unit in France teaching them how to build pill-boxes, anti-tank defences etc, and always lived in their messes. He also mumped old broken badges which he sent home to his son. Evacuated from Dunkirk he spent the rest of 1940-41 building beach defences etc in SE England- still getting badges whenever possible for his son.

The family then moved up to Kirkudbrightshire, Scotland, but we never knew why until it transpired that all the prototype Mulberry Harbours were made there (in concrete!) Two plus two means he was involved in this project, and he possibly landed in Normandy on D+4, ending up in Germany as a Major.

Post-war he returned to Hertfordshire, and I received the bag of badges.
Like many beginners I collected all and sundry, but subsequently realised I had to narrow my focus. Initially I said 'post-1908' as I could not afford the early ones, and then focused on what I had most of already- local units.

Now I just collect to any regiment or corps raised in the counties recruited by the Royal Anglian Regiment- so still broad enough to include cap, collar shoulder and cloth badges.

Stephen.
Old 08-05-16, 06:44 AM

Over the years I have had a number of "themes" ( mainly particular regiments ) to my collecting but my interest is now ( and has been for many years ) in the regiment of my home town.

There are a number of reasons why, both my Grandfathers ( who I never Knew ) were in the Kings Liverpool`s in WW1, but both only for short periods of time. I like being able to identify items with particular parts of the City and I find the social history aspect of the Militia, Volunteer, Territorial and Cadet units fascinating.

Over time I have sold off items to other regiments to help pay for Kings items that have come on the market and which I could not have afforded without selling something.

I can only agree with what appears to be a consensus, that what you collect is a personal matter but do collect those items that you will get enjoyment from and never, never let anything go that you are absolutely sure you will not regret it.

The last thing I would add is that the pleasure of collecting becomes considerably greater if you are in touch with like minded people.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 08-05-16 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 06:58 AM

Peter completely agree, particularly being in touch with like minded people. My friends would rapidly disown me me if I didn't have all of you to geek out with
one of my more flattering nicknames is soldier nerd. Charming.
Old 08-05-16, 08:23 AM

I have a wide-ranging collection and I tend to jump from theme to theme as it suits me. I also never pass up a bargain whether I collect it or not! I did stuff like getting at least one badge from each infantry and cavalry regiment between 1882 and 2000, etc. It's fairly easy to complete the group without excessive cost and looks great in a display.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-05-16, 02:14 PM

"Soldier nerd" says who exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
Peter completely agree, particularly being in touch with like minded people. My friends would rapidly disown me me if I didn't have all of you to geek out with
one of my more flattering nicknames is soldier nerd. Charming.
Old 08-05-16, 02:40 PM

I collect one specific regiment. The reason being is that I treat my 'collection' as a research project - I want to study every design, type and variation - then write a book about them. I'm also lucky enough to know people, or museums, who have some of the rarer examples which I might never get hold of, to study and photograph.

I chose this regiment because I was born there and because I know (knew) people who served in it (my grandfather and gt uncle were both commissioned into it in 1915 and continued a link for years afterwards).
Old 08-05-16, 02:40 PM

"Friends", that's the least offensive. Also known as 50 Shades of Khaki.

Would like to point out, I have written articles on actions including Schwaben Redoubt, 2nd Ypres and a piece on J.M Barrie and the Llewelyn Davies family, I'm involved with the Western Front Association, I have helped a friend research a memorial book, I am also just starting as a researcher for a huge local historical society project including recording histories for everyone who served from the battle of Waterloo to the present day that's buried in a local cemetery. I eat, sleep and breathe military history. But I'm known as soldier nerd and 50 shades of khaki(so I happen to find the odd uniform attractive, who doesn't?) grossly under appreciated in my time, humph It's not fair Frank.
Old 08-05-16, 02:51 PM

Barrie was one thing, I ended up having to be his character "Peter" in a play at primary school, but, the Llewelyn Davies family were very interesting indeed, they were cousins of a certain Daphne du Maurier, who happened to be Freddy Browning's wife, small world isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
"Friends", that's the least offensive. Also known as 50 Shades of Khaki.

Would like to point out, I have written articles on actions including Schwaben Redoubt, 2nd Ypres and a piece on J.M Barrie and the Llewelyn Davies family, I'm involved with the Western Front Association, I have helped a friend research a memorial book, I am also just starting as a researcher for a huge local historical society project including recording histories for everyone who served from the battle of Waterloo to the present day that's buried in a local cemetery. I eat, sleep and breathe military history. But I'm known as soldier nerd and 50 shades of khaki(so I happen to find the odd uniform attractive, who doesn't?) grossly under appreciated in my time, humph It's not fair Frank.