British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-12-08, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Default "interesting" shoulder titles

here's a rather scary assortment:

shoulder titles

and one with a lambourne mark???:

royal scots

dosent actually look stamped but cast in.
Old 02-12-08, 10:30 PM

Mike ,
I have noticed a big increase in 'T' titles & other rarer S/T's recently, many from guys like this one & the 'Taxi' guy also.There may be a connection here??
Looks like a plague of these is about to decend !!
Unless there is a good way of telling the differences to origionals ,then some title collections may well become virtually worthless ?
The name looks cast-in to me also.
Items cast in 2 pieces,a front & back, often leave evidence of central joining marks on the sides, if not cleaned up properly. A notorious fault with the lazy repro men.
Cheers !
Steve
PS: normally braze joined parts are often cast as 1 piece on these also . As found on many of the faked RND MG badges !
PPS: 'one of the rarest badge in existents' + Low Price ( 20 pounds)....not so good with his English grammar ,or in a hurry to collect the cash??

Last edited by dragonz18; 03-12-08 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-12-08, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz18 View Post
Mike ,
I have noticed a big increase in 'T' titles & other rarer S/T's recently, many from guys like this one & the 'Taxi' guy also.There may be a connection here??
Looks like a plague of these is about to decend !!
Unless there is a good way of telling the differences to origionals ,then some title collections may well become virtually worthless ?
The name looks cast-in to me also.
Items cast in 2 pieces,a front & back, often leave evidence of central joining marks on the sides, if not cleaned up properly. A notorious fault with the lazy repro men.
Cheers !
Steve
I'm glad somebody has raised this issue as I've had my doubts about them too. The problem is I've compared a couple with known good ones and first impressions are they're identical with the same spacing between the lettering. Fake titles are known to exist and have done for a long time, there was a seller at Islington who had a whole board of London ones a good few years ago.

When I saw the afore mentioned Welsh seller start listing RND ones recently my heart sank as titles have always been a fairly safe avenue of this hobby. He's not alone there as Hood and Collingwood have started to appear all too frequently these days. Pity the poor collectors who've paid large amounts over the last few years as they could be copies which only now are getting into general circulation.

An effing shame.
Old 03-12-08, 06:59 AM

This was something I brought up a few months ago as there was a real rash of them then. Their frequency seemed to fade for a bit, but I too have noticed an uptick in recent weeks.

That being said, a few weeks ago I bought two from the seller linked in the first post and they turned out to be okay. My only gripe was that one had a lug reattached and they both had a small bit of rebrazing where there had been some weakening or separation. This wasn't mentioned in the listing, of course, but as the price was reasonable I decided to lump it. Yes, I know, always ask for a picture of the back.

The ones he currently has on offer for the most part look pretty poor, as were many I passed up when I bid on my two. Some look like they might be legitimate but poorly repaired. Whatever the case, I reckon I got lucky once and won't tempt fate again. Also, I felt so dirty doing business with a blatant restrike merchant, I don't think I can take that guilt again
Old 03-12-08, 10:03 AM

Default s/t maker mark

gaunt mark on one i have had for years.although the lugs have probably been replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOSS 3826.jpg (51.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg GOSS 3827.jpg (37.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-12-08, 12:17 PM

I've always been very fond of my metal titles and am saddened to see their apparent (but probably inevitable) corruption. Here's the only marked one of mine I've found so far: T/OTC/INNSOFCOURT marked J.R.GAUNT & SON LTD BIRM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.jpg (86.9 KB, 32 views)