British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-15, 12:35 AM

Default 9th Btn Cap Badge, with different overlay

I acquired this cap badge a few years back when the Ted Skinner collection was being sold off on EBay. Ted Skinner believed it to be an officers' cap badge with a silver overlay. I am not sure that it is silver, but it does feel and look nice in the hand. My question is has anyone ever seen this different overlay before? There is no makers mark on the back.
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9th Btn:Cap silver:NMM:E-W:DFair(#020).jpg (38.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 30-05-15, 12:59 AM

Hi Don,

Nice looking badge, well done!

I can't help with your question re this version of overlay. However I may be able to help you with the silver portion. If you run the edge of the overlay firmly over some white page if it leaves what looks like a pencil line then it is silver. If there is no mark it will be white metal.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 30-05-15, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Don, could you take an image of the reverse?
Old 30-05-15, 01:41 AM

Bill and Roy:
Thank you for the responses. I am on the road working for a while yet. The picture of the back will have to wait for a bit. Wish I had a picture with me.
Don
Old 30-05-15, 01:56 AM

Bill:
Found a photo of the original listing from EBay when I purchased the badge. Not the best photo but It will have to do for now.
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9th Btn Back.jpg (58.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 30-05-15, 02:02 AM

Thanks Don,

Looks like lovely detail to the leaf on this badge.

Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 30-05-15, 02:09 AM

Hi Don, I'll come out and say that it's a good early version. The overlay is in 3 pieces, the crown and banner appear to be of the same die format. The 9 is in silver and is a different font than that the crown and banner. The whole lot is welded together in a very professional manner by hand. All this is indicative of a special order badge by an officer with the funds available to buy their own badge from a jeweller or quality maker.

The skills needed to do this kind of work were rare then and even rarer now. I'll go out on a limb and say is a good one.

Greg

I thought I'd edit this post with some additional thoughts. All "legitimate" versions of this badge are maker marked and Don's isn't which makes this badge suspect because it does not have a maker's mark. Based on provenance, it may be a good badge (I think it is) BUT if you are the type of collector who is bases your purchase decision on only what's written then this badge may not be for you. There is lots of controversy about these badges due to rarity and what has been written and handed down as fact over the years. Even new, more rigorously researched books can/have perpetuating old and new theories about badges all based on legends, lies and verbal hearsay. I don't believe everything I read, old or new. There are fakes out there, some done very well, many done poorly but a collector has to balance written information (which may be in error) and what is in hand. I think it's a good badge, based on construction, patina and provenance. Each collector has to form their own opinion based on what they see. I am no expert on this badge, I would have it in my collection if it was a good fit, the price was right (I buy to enjoy rather than to invest), the provenance solid and in hand it felt right.

Last edited by GregN; 01-06-15 at 03:20 AM. Reason: rambling thoughts
Old 30-05-15, 05:05 AM

Not quite the same as the one in the badge project.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...rce/cef_e9.htm

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.