British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-19, 05:04 PM

Yes that’s definitely another method used. Depending on the level of skill and quality of the cast this is sometimes more apparent that others. There will however be a slight size difference with lost wax copies. Again depending on the quality detail (font/back) and thickness will differ to originals.

Electroforming is another more advanced method used but currently this is used to reproduce lancer plates. This process can be accurate to the micron level. It does however produce a ‘clone’ so any dings, digs, wear to the badge will be copied too.
Old 28-11-19, 08:20 PM
Leeds Pals

In the first world war, many manufacturers made cap badges, there will be slightly a bit different. I do believe this is a original Leeds Pals cap badge. You all believe there is only one type of style they had.

Last edited by Leeds Pals; 29-11-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 28-11-19, 08:35 PM
Leeds Pals

Does this look like there cap badge you so called experts???. Maybe there are other styles they had.

Old 28-11-19, 08:44 PM

Could you elaborate please, I'm not quite sure what you mean?
Old 28-11-19, 08:46 PM
Leeds Pals

Another photo, all from original Leeds pals documents, do you see the cap badge style you all stay is real. There are others styles.

Old 28-11-19, 09:01 PM

You're showing printed "crests", they often vary from the design of a "real" cap badge, some bear little resemblance at all (by the way, I am nowhere near being an expert in Leeds Pals badges).
Old 28-11-19, 09:06 PM
Leeds Pals

From original Leeds pals documents
Old 28-11-19, 09:12 PM
Leeds Pals

I own three Hinderburgs crosses from different manufacturers, if you look at the details!they are all not the same.

Old 28-11-19, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds Pals View Post
I own three Hinderburgs crosses from different manufacturers, if you look at the details!they are all not the same.
So do I (well, more than three, various manufacturers).
I refer to my previous post re. the designs of the Leeds Pals badges as represented on such documents.
Old 28-11-19, 09:21 PM
Leeds Pals

I think Leeds Pals cap badges are made from different manufacturers. But not all documented and photos survived today. Leeds was bombed during the blits same as Germany during WW2! Things got destroyed. I have on coincident from these book read experts. Books don't have all the full information.
Old 28-11-19, 09:23 PM

Well, good luck with your research into these badges, I'm afraid I have nothing more to offer.
Old 28-11-19, 09:30 PM
Leeds Pals

They are from Leeds Pals documents so must be correct. There documents show a version of there cap badge from the time it was printed before the second world war and it is not from a recent book of cap badges printed after ww2 which you all so called experts get your info from. I will go by original documents only. Good for you you got more Hinderburgs medals than.
Old 28-11-19, 09:41 PM
Leeds Pals

My quest continues. I live in Leeds. I have an appointment at the Leeds museum to look at there archives. I ask an appointment to see there archives at Leeds Armouries! But still waiting for a date. I also ask the York museum to see there archives. I have been to the Leeds Pals camp site in the dales, every rembrence day in stand by the cenototh in Leeds.
Old 28-11-19, 10:11 PM

Quote:
They are from Leeds Pals documents so must be correct. There documents show a version of there cap badge from the time it was printed before the second world war and it is not from a recent book of cap badges printed after ww2 which you all so called experts get your info from. I will go by original documents only. Good for you you got more Hinderburgs medals than.
You need to wind your neck in mate.

There are experts on here and just because you dont like their opinions doesnt mean you can resort to such rude replies.

Go and ask somewhere else.

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 28-11-19, 11:50 PM

Quote:
My quest continues. I live in Leeds. I have an appointment at the Leeds museum to look at there archives. I ask an appointment to see there archives at Leeds Armouries! But still waiting for a date. I also ask the York museum to see there archives. I have been to the Leeds Pals camp site in the dales, every rembrence day in stand by the cenototh in Leeds.
Rather than going round the houses why not go direct to the curator at the Regimental museum in York? They will have absolute proof of what badges were worn which don`t rely on second hand information nor third party representations of badges. After the visit, a few apologies may be in order from you!!!!
https://www.yorkarmymuseum.co.uk/the...e-regiment.php

Kind regards, A West Yorkshire Regt collector for 35 years, Dave.

Last edited by Deejayuu; 29-11-19 at 12:16 AM.
Closed Thread