British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-23, 03:03 AM

Default Abbreviation on medal?

Hi

Sorting through some odds and ends, I chanced upon one of those Army Temperance medals and noticed that it was actually named:

"PRESENTED to Pte ELDERTON, H 1st B.R, Bde"

Appears to be neatly impressed rather than engraved.

It's one of the medals for "total abstinence" (I'll never get one of these...) and hails from India.

My question(s): Does anyone know anything about Pte H Elderton and what is the 1st B.R. Bde?

Thanks as always!

Old 01-04-23, 09:15 AM

1st Battalion Rifle Brigade, maybe?
Old 01-04-23, 09:37 PM

Hi Phil

Thanks for that. I'd sort of considered that but would have expected R.B. maybe it was "Battalion, Rifle" in the same way they would have "muskets, sea service"....
Old 05-04-23, 08:02 AM

The Burma Rifles were part of the Indian Army until 1937 if my memory is correct. Not sure about a Burma Rifles Brigade though.
Old 05-04-23, 08:38 AM

Could it possibly be simply 1st BRITISH Brigade ?

NAM has items listed as :

Quote:
Pennant flown by 1st British Brigade at the Battle of Omdurman, 2nd Sudan War (1896-1899).

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 05-04-23, 08:33 PM

Greetings.

As you do, when a conundrum arises, it's a challenge to attempt to find a solution.

The nearest I can find to solving this is Private Henry Elderton, Bedfordshire Regiment.

That may solve the H Elderton part, however his middle names were George William, B.R could conceivably be Bedfordshire Regiment.

No explanation in respect of Bde though.

He was a member of The 2nd Battalion, who were in India for a period of time, which address the India connection.

Probably nowhere near the correct answer, but as I say, it's a challenge to solve conundrums.

Regards.

Brian
Old 06-04-23, 06:01 AM

Hello gents,

Many thanks for all these ideas. The Forum "delivers the goods" again!

Cheers!
Old 06-04-23, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Greetings.

As you do, when a conundrum arises, it's a challenge to attempt to find a solution.

The nearest I can find to solving this is Private Henry Elderton, Bedfordshire Regiment.

That may solve the H Elderton part, however his middle names were George William, B.R could conceivably be Bedfordshire Regiment.

No explanation in respect of Bde though.

He was a member of The 2nd Battalion, who were in India for a period of time, which address the India connection.

Hello Brian,

Any idea of what period we may be talking? I first thought that it was impressed in small capital letters but my "visual aid" (jeweller's loupe) tells me that it is neatly engraved.

Probably nowhere near the correct answer, but as I say, it's a challenge to solve conundrums.

Regards.

Brian
Hello Brian,

Many thanks for that. Any idea of what period we are talking? I thought that it was impressed in small capital letters but my "visual aid" ( a jeweller's loupe) tells me that it is neatly engraved.