British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-02-23, 03:46 PM

Default Cross of Sacrifice Memorials

For anyone who, like me, was unaware of its origins, I thought I’d share this ‘find’ which I stumbled across during a recent visit to East Sussex:

Designed by the architect Sir Ronald Bloomfield, in 1917, the ‘Cross of Sacrifice’ memorials, with which we are all so familiar, were set up by the Imperial War Graves Commission*. The design is that of a Christian cross with the military sword combined, and can of course be seen on village greens and in town centres across Britain, and abroad.

The cross shown in the picture below (on display at the Rye Castle Museum - Ypres Tower) is the original on which all others were based, and which, apparently, Sir Ronald kept on the wall of his home in Rye, East Sussex.

2B47E9A5-004E-48BE-83EE-C11DF7E6782D.jpg 6E64BA26-B978-46FC-A8AA-19314E5CC90A.jpg

Absolutely thrilled to have come across this and to have learned a little about how it came to be.

Regards to all,

JT

*Became the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in 1960

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 20-02-23 at 08:19 AM.
Old 19-02-23, 11:09 PM

Very interesting and information I’ve never seen mention before in anything I’ve read.
Thanks for posting it
Old 19-02-23, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB101 View Post
Very interesting and information I’ve never seen mention before in anything I’ve read.
Thanks for posting it
You’re welcome.

A very familiar sight throughout the land, yet despite the fact that I have stood in front of one on many occasions, thoughts relating to their design and construction have never occurred to me.

Regards,

JT
Old 20-02-23, 10:25 AM

"Reginald Bloomfield fashioned a tall finely proportioned stone cross, with a symbolic sword of bronze attached to its face, thus emphasising both military character of the cemetery and the religious affiliation of the majority of the dead" - History of the CWGC. Thanks for posting the picture JT - I'd not actually seen one that was not mounted to a cross or memorial.
Old 20-02-23, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
"Reginald Bloomfield fashioned a tall finely proportioned stone cross, with a symbolic sword of bronze attached to its face, thus emphasising both military character of the cemetery and the religious affiliation of the majority of the dead" - History of the CWGC. Thanks for posting the picture JT - I'd not actually seen one that was not mounted to a cross or memorial.
Thanks very much for this.

Actually, I almost missed it, even though it is virtually unmissable, mounted on the wall right by the exit/entrance to the Ypres Tower.

JT

Tags
cross of sacrifice, memorials, war memorials