British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-11-17, 09:01 PM

Default Royal Marines Beret Colour(s)?

Could somebody set out in layman's terms what colour beret is/was worn by the Royal Marines, please?

Is it green, navy blue, both? Is it dependent upon era, training, Commando etc? Is a red cloth badge backing used and if so is/was it worn only with the blue beret?

Apologies if this has been asked previously, but I do not seem to be able to find a definitive answer via the forum search facility.

With thanks,

JT
Old 12-11-17, 10:35 PM

JT, I joined the Corps in 1963, at the time as Junior Marines or Recruits we wore a blue beret with the red 'tombstone' showing the cap badge. Royal Marines Bandsmen and women also wear this beret throughout their service.
On completion of successfuly passing the Commando course the blue beret is binned and is replaced by the Green Beret. Band service are not required to undertake the Commando course.

Ritchie.
Old 12-11-17, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
JT, I joined the Corps in 1963, at the time as Junior Marines or Recruits we wore a blue beret with the red 'tombstone' showing the cap badge. Royal Marines Bandsmen and women also wear this beret throughout their service.
On completion of successfuly passing the Commando course the blue beret is binned and is replaced by the Green Beret. Band service are not required to undertake the Commando course.

Ritchie.
Ritchie,

Many thanks indeed.

So currently, it is only recruits and bandsmen/bandswomen who wear blue; everybody else wears green (on successful completion of the Commando course)?

The question arose after a friend watching the television coverage of Remembrance Sunday, asked why a RM veteran was wearing a blue beret rather than green. Shamefully, (RM not being my area) I was unable to furnish him with a definitive answer.

JT
Old 12-11-17, 11:35 PM

I think the Royal Marines only became fully Commandos after 1960- so for over 15 years there must have been many using the blue beret- Regards, Paul.
Old 13-11-17, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I think the Royal Marines only became fully Commandos after 1960- so for over 15 years there must have been many using the blue beret- Regards, Paul.
Thanks Paul. That would explain it.

JT
Old 13-11-17, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Could somebody set out in layman's terms what colour beret is/was worn by the Royal Marines, please?

Is it green, navy blue, both? Is it dependent upon era, training, Commando etc? Is a red cloth badge backing used and if so is/was it worn only with the blue beret?

Apologies if this has been asked previously, but I do not seem to be able to find a definitive answer via the forum search facility.

With thanks,

JT
All ranks, upon completion of initial training wore a red backing to the badge on khaki caps from late 1941, the backing continued to be worn on the blue beret.
Old 13-11-17, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I agree. Certainly in the second half of WW2 there will have been many. many more RM serving on HM Ships, RMASG etc than there were serving in 40-48 RM Cdos. Mike
Old 13-11-17, 11:14 AM

Certainly, during the late 40's and into the '50's RM's returning from service in a Commando unit into a non-commando unit and ship's detachments had to revert to the blue beret ... thankfully this was discontinued by the time I joined.
Old 13-11-17, 01:41 PM

Gents,

Sincere thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Greatly appreciated.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 13-11-17 at 01:46 PM.
Old 13-11-17, 04:04 PM

JT, if it's any help there was an Admiralty Fleet Order 3118, dated 25th Nov. 1960 concerning the passing of the blue beret and wearing of the green by trained ranks, apart from Band Service, recruits and Young Officers under training.
Old 13-11-17, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
JT, if it's any help there was an Admiralty Fleet Order 3118, dated 25th Nov. 1960 concerning the passing of the blue beret and wearing of the green by trained ranks, apart from Band Service, recruits and Young Officers under training.
Great stuff, Ritchie. Thanks so much.

JT
Old 13-11-17, 10:46 PM

Let us not forget many who wore the blue beret in WW2 had the dangerous task of manning landing craft - One veteran in our RMA North Wales Branch (sadly recently deceased) was very proud of his own dark beret having had a hell of a time on D-Day ferrying Canadians ... when his craft grounded the senior bod ran up the beach with the assault troops rather than stay with the craft and struggling to get it away. Respect to Eric RIP.
Mike

Tags
beret, colours, royal marines