British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-11, 02:39 PM

Default 7th & 8th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment

Gents
I have a 7th & 8th bn West Yorkshire Regiment conundrum that I hope you may be able to help me with.

I have attached pictures of two 7 & 8th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment badges that I have in my collection.

The left hand badge is a fake and has the tell tale 15mm Gaunt with a dot marked slider.

I bought this badge some years ago from a dealer in South Wales who I have come to learn from this forum sells fakes. Unfortunately I paid a princely sum for the badge and though I put it down to experience was keen to replace it when I found a genuine alternative.

The right hand badge is a recent acquisition and this time it was bought from a dealer who has a very good reputation on this forum. However on taking delivery the badge appears to be almost identical to the fake with the exception that the fake has a solid (non-voided) crown and the Gaunt marked slider. The depth of strike, lettering and relief (depth) of the badge (it has an almost flat crown) appear the same on both badges.

Before making this post, I checked the album section and in particular Deejayvuu’s excellent Yorkshire collection. He also has the same badge with a voided crown in his Album ‘Military Badges of Yorkshire’ – 39F(ront) & 39B(ack), which is making me feel a bit better. But the fact that my new acquisition is almost identical to my fake is a concern.

If anyone would like to pass judgment or an opinion either good or bad on the similarity of the two badges I would be grateful. I’m confident the dealer will take it back if it’s a thumbs down.
Thanks
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScannedImage.jpg (63.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg ScannedImage-2.jpg (93.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-03-11, 05:21 PM

Hi Mark
Your new badge has better detail at the back and i can see nothing wrong with it, heres mine.

Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7th8thBattnWestYorkshireReg.jpg (65.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 7th8thBattnWestYorkshireReg2.jpg (67.3 KB, 31 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 04-03-11, 05:34 PM
Former Member

Mark,
They do look rather rough! Here's mine which I'm certain is right! It has lost it's blackened finish and despite being a little rubbed still has very crisp detail to the areas of the "Laurel Spray" below Horn, "7th.8th.Bns" and "P.W.O.".. I've also shown which I'm sure is a copy, it has the messy 7th8thBns, no dots to PWO and the crown is awful!

Even my suspect one looks better than both of yours?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0096.jpg (98.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0100.jpg (89.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0099.jpg (83.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0101.jpg (81.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-03-11, 05:41 PM
Former Member

Mark,
I'd be happy with Malcs badge but your 2 black examples seem to have come from the same dies? One has the Fakers mark to the slider and one does not? The rear detail is down to the obscuration by paint methinks?

I would send it back and look for one like Malcs or my example on the left!

Andy
Old 04-03-11, 06:02 PM

I tend to agree with Andy. I posted mine which I have doubts on based on the slider. I'm becoming obsessed with sliders, as validity. I feel mine has a modern look to it. Prefer now to get tapered sliders.

As regards makers mark's, I tend to give them also a wide berth. I have a few Gaunt's (no dot), but as I believe they were done like this post 1919, they are on the sale list.

But as regards this York's one, I'll keep this one for now, until I find a "better" slidered version.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7th8th WEST YORKSHIRE F.jpg (73.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 7TH8TH WEST YORKSHIRE REA.jpg (76.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-03-11, 11:00 AM

Thanks Malc, Andy & Simon

On the balance of your comments I have made a decision to send it back. The badges are from the same die and as Andy suggests the fake is just a bit more clogged with paint on the rear. The depth of stamping I think is the same.

So it’s back to looking for a replacement again. If anybody ever sees one for sale I’d be grateful for a nod in its direction.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Mark

Tags
pwo, yorkshire