British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-09, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Chris,

In the same vein the 9 lancers and 3rd Hussars are fakes as well and should match these fakes. The regts disbanded wearing metal badges.

Alan
Old 16-04-09, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris,

In the same vein the 9 lancers and 3rd Hussars are fakes as well and should match these fakes. The regts disbanded wearing metal badges.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I'll have to pick these up later I'm afraid but I will - concentrating on Scottish badges for now. No doubt there will be many others.

On a separate note if anyone has access to CCN (Catalogue of Clothing and Necessities) and COSA (Catalogue of Supplies and Ammunition) documents from 1950 to present day then please let me know. I have a couple but I really need all those related to anodised aluminium cap badges.

Regards

Chris
Old 17-04-09, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Chris,

Alan
I know the story with regard to the 3rd Hussars anodised made.But its the first time that ive heard that the 9th Lancers is fake.Could you expand further on the comment please.I know a guy that has a pair of anodised ollars as well as an anodised capbadge.
Old 17-04-09, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

The construction is identical to the known fakes such as the 3rd Hussars, Royal Wawickshires, Suffolks etc. All are mint condition, die struck and blank slidered. 9 lancers a/a badges certainly exist but I have yet to see one that is not like this. These were all avialble from a repro dealer in Essex a few years ago at £6 each. He had lots in stock but has sold out of the 'rare' ones now.

The 8th King Hussars were also still wearing k/c bi-metal badges when they amalgamated (there is a thread somehwere with more details) and I am amazed that a Q/C a/a 8 KRIH badge has not been faked yet!

Additionally there are a number of publications that list a/a badges. An a/a 9L is noticably absent in Kipling and King's Vol 2. I have another article somewhere that lists the a/a badges and states that the 9L is indeed not contempory. I will see if I can find it.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 17-04-09 at 05:42 PM.
Old 17-04-09, 06:33 PM

I was always led to believe that the 4th and the 8th were never done.But there was a genuine looking 4th that appeared not long ago.
Old 17-04-09, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scarce-Hampshi...1%7C240%3A1318

This is one badge that I would not want to pay more than £5 for. The Hants Carbineers were gone by the late 50s but these mint badges turn up again and again.

Alan
Old 17-04-09, 07:20 PM

Heres another for you Alan, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Badge-The-Suff...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 17-04-09, 07:28 PM

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scarce-Hampshi...1%7C240%3A1318

This is one badge that I would not want to pay more than £5 for. The Hants Carbineers were gone by the late 50s but these mint badges turn up again and again.

Alan
That badge is a fake made with a tin 'mirror' hollow back body probably from a set of pre-anodised era dies.

It has what looks like a genuine modern London Badge and Button co Ltd slider attached to it probably made of anodised aluminium.

If this badge HAS the anodised slider then I want it for my fakes chapter but I'm stuffed if I'm going to pay 18 quid for it.

Regards

Chris
Old 17-04-09, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mike,

More like 99p for that one!

Alan
Old 17-04-09, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Mike,

From what I can see I would be happy with this.

Mind you whether made as an authorised issue or an unofficial commission I currently have no idea - by the end of the year I might know for certain though.

Regards

Chris
Old 17-04-09, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Mike,

Mind you whether made as an authorised issue or an unofficial commission I currently have no idea - by the end of the year I might know for certain though.

Regards

Chris
Look at the reverse of the scroll. Does it 'mirror' the obverse like a lot of the Scottish badges I'm calling fake? No it don't.

Mind you before everybody goes ape s**t for it remember it is without a slider and as such I personally would not buy it.

Regards

Chris
Old 18-04-09, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

This was a regt who was wearing k/c metal badges on their amalgamation in 1958. Their TA Bn was also amalgamated in 1958 and wore a bespoke TA badge. Therefore there were no Regular pattern a/a badges made for them in the mid 1960s as there were for some TA Bns.

No CCF or ACF wore this badge either as the East Anglia Bde all converted to RAnglian units. Add to that the 1968 TAVR III units did not include a Suffolk badged unit (unlike the RLeics for example).

Now John Gaylor's book states that these badges were made but not issued. Coincidentally he apparently had lots to sell. Mmmm.......

Sceptically

Alan
Old 18-04-09, 07:44 PM

The Suffolk Regiment

Catalogue number CB 3117. Pattern number 16978, sealed on the 8th November 1955, added to vocab 5th October 1956. Introduced for wear by Change 7661 published in December 1956.

As with all the new badges, 'old stock will be used up first'.

The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire

Published in the 1973 CCN with NSN CB 8455-99-135-1649, the back badge was silver with the NSN CB 8455-99-122-7877, this was carried over as the back badge for the Gloucestershire Regiment.

Last edited by 54Bty; 18-04-09 at 07:59 PM.
Old 18-04-09, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Nice information but inconclusive. CCNs also authorised all of the WW2 cavalry badges for regts that were disbanded in 1946 and these were never made.

Were any Suffolk badges actually needed in 1956-8 and more importantly made? While CCN records show that the badges were authorised it does not show production unfortunately.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 18-04-09 at 08:11 PM.
Old 18-04-09, 08:07 PM

Default Suffolk Regt anodised

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Mike,

Regards

Chris
Hi Gents,
My example of the anodised suffolk Regt cap badge has a rear the same as that pictured ( i.e behind the scroll is solid at the rear) and has a slider marked H.W Timmings in the usual small stamped print of this maker.

Regards to all

Bess

Tags
anodised, staybrite